Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default canbus

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2017 21:11, Huge wrote:
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time,

Unlikely.

or will it be the usual yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in
front has started
to move ?.

Yep, because while ever there are cars with drivers in the queue,
that will continue to happen and even with nothing but driverless
cars in the queue, they would have to be able to communicate
with each other to be able to all move off at the same time
because it gets tricky working out when the one at the front
will move visibility wise alone.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

Yes, but coordination gets more complicated and so they may
well not bother until there are no cars with drivers, and that is
likely to be a long way into the future and may not ever be
possible if they all have a fall back mode where you can drive
it yourself if your driverless system has failed and you need to
be able to hobble along to the place where it gets repaired.