Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exeter couple finally ditch 1950s appliances

As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/17 20:12, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Sadly, the story isn't quite as it seems- the appliances haven't been in
constant use, they've been stored as 'spares' for some time.

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student flat
when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

The Washing Machine is similar to the one my mother had in the 1960s and
I recall a neighbour having one of the Boilers shown.

We had an Ariston Washing Machine which lasted about 17 years and our
first Microwave (a Tricity) lasted a similar time- in fact it was still
working when we disposed of it, it was just 'tatty'. Sadly, none of the
replacements have given comparable service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Interesting he was taller when they married or wore elevator shoes.

She's taller now or pinched the elevator shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2017 21:18, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Interesting he was taller when they married or wore elevator shoes.

She's taller now or pinched the elevator shoes.

Or he's further away from the camera in the photo.

Perhaps she's worn him down, something to do with married life?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

you can't beat a twin tub ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2017 21:16, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/11/17 20:12, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Sadly, the story isn't quite as it seems- the appliances haven't been in
constant use, they've been stored as 'spares' for some time.

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student flat
when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

Would that be the original with a solid hotplate or one of the
newfangled ones with boiling rings, simmerstats and thermostat for the oven?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/19/2017 4:16 PM, Brian Reay wrote:

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student flat
when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

We have a fully functional Baby Belling sitting in the garage. It came
in really handy when the fancy newish cooker decided to emit magic smoke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/17 22:50, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/11/2017 21:16, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/11/17 20:12, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Sadly, the story isn't quite as it seems- the appliances haven't been
in constant use, they've been stored as 'spares' for some time.

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student
flat when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

Would that be the original with a solid hotplate or one of the
newfangled ones with boiling rings, simmerstats and thermostat for the
oven?

Good question. As I recall, it had two round solid rings on top.
However, I could be confusing them with those on my mother's cooker.
Either way, I'm sure there were two.

The oven had a temperature control with a thermostat. It took ages to do
even a simple roast. We used to cook a chicken in a pressure cooker and
then 'brown it' in the oven. We used a pressure cooker for years, until
we got an induction hob which was incompatible with it.

This was '76 or so, although I'm not sure how new the Baby Belling was
when we moved into the Hall of Residence. The section the married flats
were in didn't seem that old, certainly under 10 years, probably about 5.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
On 19/11/2017 21:18, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Interesting he was taller when they married or wore elevator shoes.

She's taller now or pinched the elevator shoes.

Or he's further away from the camera in the photo.

Nope, he isnt.

Perhaps she's worn him down, something to do with married life?

Yeah, I thought of that one too after I had hit the send button.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2017 22:54, S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/19/2017 4:16 PM, Brian Reay wrote:

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student
flat when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

We have a fully functional Baby Belling sitting in the garage. It came
in really handy when the fancy newish cooker decided to emit magic smoke.

We used one for 2 years and have several funny memories of culinary
events surrounding it. The oven was 'challenged' by anything requiring a
high temperature- eg getting good roast potatoes and the temperature
control was erratic to say the least.

Half way through cooking Sunday lunch, the original one emitted
a loud bang and the main circuit breaker for the whole floor in the
block 'went'. The hall warden decided to test it, 'Just to see if it did
it again.' The second bang was even louder. Fortunately, he produced
another Baby Belling from a store room and cooking of lunch resumed. In
time we learned the 'new' one was quite different (despite being the
same model) to the original.

Nearly 40 years on we still joke about some of the Baby Belling culinary
events in the kitchen where you could stand in the middle and touch all
four walls.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 November 2017 20:12:12 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

I have a "Thorn" microwave that's forty years old.
Been in daily use.

My wife has her granny's bread board. Daily use.
Must be a hundred years old.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nearly 40 years on we still joke about some of the Baby Belling culinary
events in the kitchen where you could stand in the middle and touch all
four walls.

You joke?....I don't believe it ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure there are many of these people about actually only recently an old
1950s Frigidaire with rounded corners died in a garage not far from here. it
was used for overflow stuff and it was only pensioned off due to it needing
too much work to defrost and the insulation was, shall we say, not up to
current specs.

Several old Morphy Richards Spin driers exist still working down my road as
extra units cos modern washing machines see to be pretty inefficient. Sadly
these from memory had a nasty habit of wandering around the floor unless on
sat on them.
Many old irons still work, and of course vacuum cleaners.

Not sure about health and safety though, some of these older devices did
tend to have very naff wires on them. Most irons of the period could have
their mains leads replaced though.

I do wonder if anything bought in say the last 10 years or so would be still
working in 50 years?
Doubt it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a 1960s Rogers Cadet valve amplifier in daily use as an amp for a
computer in my bedroom. No real issues with it. Just a little more hum than
one might expect.
Brian

--
----- -

"harry" wrote in message
On Sunday, 19 November 2017 20:12:12 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42043754

I have a "Thorn" microwave that's forty years old.
Been in daily use.

My wife has her granny's bread board. Daily use.
Must be a hundred years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Nov-17 7:15 AM, Brian Reay wrote:
Nearly 40 years on we still joke about some of the Baby Belling culinary
events in the kitchen where you could stand in the middle and touch all
four walls.

One hand on each?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I have a working Sharp Talking time from 1982 in my kitchen.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2017 21:16, Brian Reay wrote:
We had an Ariston Washing Machine which lasted about 17 years and our first Microwave (a Tricity) lasted a similar time- in fact it was still working when we disposed of it, it was just 'tatty'. Sadly, none of the replacements have given comparable service.

A few years ago there was an exhibition in the London Science Museum of the evolution of domestic appliances over the decades. One exhibit was what they said was the first microwave oven to go on sale in the UK. We had one just like it still in use; made me feel a bit like a museum exhibit myself.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 November 2017 10:32:17 UTC, Clive Page wrote:

A few years ago there was an exhibition in the London Science Museum of the evolution of domestic appliances over the decades. One exhibit was what they said was the first microwave oven to go on sale in the UK. We had one just like it still in use; made me feel a bit like a museum exhibit myself.

The Amana Radarange. Early microwaves had unsafe interlocks, I came across one years ago where the thing continued cooking until the door was part way open. But even better ones than that were unsafe, relying on one microswitch to stop cooking when opened.

I saw some domestic appliances in a museum recently, a few of mine are older than theirs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

just facts ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do wonder if anything bought in say the last 10 years or so would be
still
working in 50 years?
Doubt it.
Brian

no chance...it will be made in China....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2017 23:47, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/11/17 22:50, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/11/2017 21:16, Brian Reay wrote:

However, still interesting. We had a 'Baby Belling' in our student
flat when we were first married- we lived in one of the few halls of
residence with places for married students.

Would that be the original with a solid hotplate or one of the
newfangled ones with boiling rings, simmerstats and thermostat for the
oven?

Good question. As I recall, it had two round solid rings on top.
However, I could be confusing them with those on my mother's cooker.
Either way, I'm sure there were two.

The oven had a temperature control with a thermostat. It took ages to do
even a simple roast. We used to cook a chicken in a pressure cooker and
then 'brown it' in the oven. We used a pressure cooker for years, until
we got an induction hob which was incompatible with it.

The "newfangled" ones had one ring - a spiral boiling ring as I remember
them - that you could have on any time, and a switch enabling you to
choose between the second ring, the grill and the oven. The old ones -
which I assume were meant for a 15A supply - had high/low/medium
switches for the combined hotplate/grill and the oven - which had a
thermometer built into the door..

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2017 09:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

I have a Sharp electronic organiser that has been in almost daily use
since I bought it in 1994. It never loses data - from battery backed RAM
memory and memory card - no flash memory then - and I haven't found a
single bug in the software, which hasn't been reset since I bought it.
And is powered by two AAA batteries that last six months.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my eleven ist, 2nd and 3rd gen ipods are all now faulty in different
ways....I have a 1962 tape recorder that still works...DIGITAL is RUBBISH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

my eleven ist, 2nd and 3rd gen ipods are all now faulty in different
ways....I have a 1962 tape recorder that still works...DIGITAL is RUBBISH

Yes, but you're a bigoted, racist, moron troll, so can be safely ignored.

you obviously can't...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

my eleven ist, 2nd and 3rd gen ipods are all now faulty in different
ways....I have a 1962 tape recorder that still works...DIGITAL is RUBBISH

Yes, but you're a bigoted, racist, moron troll, so can be safely ignored.

you make that sound as if it were a bad thing ................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 November 2017 12:41:23 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
my eleven ist, 2nd and 3rd gen ipods are all now faulty in different
ways....I have a 1962 tape recorder that still works...DIGITAL is RUBBISH

Are yuo sure it still works as most the belts and even the tape would have perished, it has on a friends 1980s turntable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/11/2017 09:06, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

I have a Sharp electronic organiser that has been in almost daily use
since I bought it in 1994. It never loses data - from battery backed RAM
memory and memory card - no flash memory then - and I haven't found a
single bug in the software, which hasn't been reset since I bought it.
And is powered by two AAA batteries that last six months.

I still miss my Psion 5MX ...

bet it doesn't miss you ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ in the Radio Shack ...." wrote in
message ...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

anything DIGITAL only lasts a few years ...... if that...

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

just facts ...

You wouldn’t know what a real fact was if it bit you on your lard arse.

I've only had a single computer fail out of dozens, going back to the 70s
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

my eleven ist, 2nd and 3rd gen ipods are all now faulty in different
ways....I have a 1962 tape recorder that still works...DIGITAL is RUBBISH

Must be why you are posting using your analog computer.