Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Exeter couple finally ditch 1950s appliances

I'm sure there are many of these people about actually only recently an old
1950s Frigidaire with rounded corners died in a garage not far from here. it
was used for overflow stuff and it was only pensioned off due to it needing
too much work to defrost and the insulation was, shall we say, not up to
current specs.

Several old Morphy Richards Spin driers exist still working down my road as
extra units cos modern washing machines see to be pretty inefficient. Sadly
these from memory had a nasty habit of wandering around the floor unless on
sat on them.
Many old irons still work, and of course vacuum cleaners.

Not sure about health and safety though, some of these older devices did
tend to have very naff wires on them. Most irons of the period could have
their mains leads replaced though.

I do wonder if anything bought in say the last 10 years or so would be still
working in 50 years?
Doubt it.
Brian

--