Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof, lean to, side Garage extension - roofing timbers?

jim wrote:

the roof of a side lean to, flat roof

"lean-to" and "flat roof" are different things in my book.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

pondering what size timbers are needed to support the roof of a
side lean to, flat roof garage extension.

Width /span is c3.5m & roofing will be "wiggly tin" roofing
sheets. The sheets are 2nd hand and have rows of old fixing holes
every 1.2m from their previous use (on a garage).

What size timbers do I require?
TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/11/2017 16:12, Andy Burns wrote:
jim wrote:

the roof of a side lean to, flat roof

"lean-to" and "flat roof" are different things in my book.

I think it might be a garage with a flat roof?

Am I right that the lean to runs the length or width of the garage and
will jut out 3.5m from it? In that case, you'll need a strong, heavy
structure to anchor the corrugated sheets to, to stop them blowing away
in a storm, rather than to take their weight.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
pondering what size timbers are needed to support the roof of a
side lean to, flat roof garage extension.

Width /span is c3.5m & roofing will be "wiggly tin" roofing
sheets. The sheets are 2nd hand and have rows of old fixing holes
every 1.2m from their previous use (on a garage).

What size timbers do I require?

Since the roofing timbers go across the short axis, that the dimension
that matters. No point in fancy calculations, 100mm square is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
jim wrote:

the roof of a side lean to, flat roof

"lean-to" and "flat roof" are different things in my book.

I think it might be a garage with a flat roof?

Am I right that the lean to runs the length or width of the garage and
will jut out 3.5m from it?

Unlikely, thats a very wide side lean to.
Much more likely to be the length of it.

In that case, you'll need a strong, heavy structure to anchor the
corrugated sheets to, to stop them blowing away in a storm, rather than to
take their weight.

Not really. We have a massive great carport that is
3 cars wide and 2 cars deep and the structure isnt
anything special. Steel tho under the roofing timbers.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Nope, what you need is determined by wind and/or snow loading,
not the weight of the roofing material with corrugated iron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

the roof of a side lean to, flat roof

"lean-to" and "flat roof" are different things in my book.

Er ok just imagine a primitive lean to side extension with a flat
roof the same height as the exstg host garage? An extra semi
outdoor bay if you will...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim wrote:

the roof of a side lean to, flat roof

"lean-to" and "flat roof" are different things in my book.

I think it might be a garage with a flat roof?

Correct.

Am I right that the lean to runs the length or width of the garage and
will jut out 3.5m from it?

Yes the length ~6m

In that case, you'll need a strong, heavy
structure to anchor the corrugated sheets to, to stop them blowing away
in a storm, rather than to take their weight.

Well quite sheltered here so snow load would be the daddy. (just
like the original structure I expect)

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Mmm :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

GB wrote:

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Mmm :-D

So 2x6" timbers at 18" spacing? Does feel a bit overkill ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

GB wrote:

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Mmm :-D

So 2x6" timbers at 18" spacing? Does feel a bit overkill ...

Strewth Mmm
I think that's sounding like a first floor! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/11/2017 19:18, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

GB wrote:

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Mmm :-D

So 2x6" timbers at 18" spacing? Does feel a bit overkill ...

Strewth Mmm
I think that's sounding like a first floor! :-)

The obvious question is what timbers does the garage roof have? This
lean-to is a similar size, I suppose.

The garage roof has the advantage of a parapet (if there is one), and
the garage is closed, so the wind can't get underneath the roof
covering. Will the lean-to have open sides or be closed in fully?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
On 19/11/2017 19:18, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
jim wrote:

GB wrote:

https://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...-timber-sizes/
Can you risk departing from the details here, even though the roof
covering is obviously lighter than the council have in mind?

Mmm :-D

So 2x6" timbers at 18" spacing? Does feel a bit overkill ...

Strewth Mmm
I think that's sounding like a first floor! :-)

The obvious question is what timbers does the garage roof have? This
lean-to is a similar size, I suppose.

The garage roof has the advantage of a parapet (if there is one), and
the garage is closed, so the wind can't get underneath the roof
covering. Will the lean-to have open sides or be closed in fully?

Good points.

The existing garage has at best 4x2s supporting an.old ply& felt
roofoverlaid with wiggly tin sheets. No parapet as
such.

The lean to I envisage will have a "hit & miss" well-ventilated
side & rear "wall" made of timber so yes potentially wind could
get under but we are very sheltered here...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Roof timbers John UK diy 11 June 1st 10 09:38 AM
Roof timbers for shallow pitch flat roof robgraham UK diy 2 September 4th 08 10:00 PM
How to safely access windows above a lean-to extension? myheadisonbackwards UK diy 5 August 8th 07 08:02 PM
Install "Rubber Roofing" on Flat Roof Garage Mike Home Repair 4 April 14th 07 03:15 PM
Question about roof timbers Mark UK diy 14 February 5th 06 09:11 PM