Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default never buy new......

always go for second hand......just decked out the utility room with second
hand industrial grade carpet tiles at 50p each from a car boot sale .... ok
a couple had chewing gum stuck and the odd staple.......but bloody hell they
look good and were cheap ....must have had light use in an office situation
..........could have wasted a fortune buying new crap like that ieka kitchen
......never again ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2017 15:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
always go for second hand......just decked out the utility room with second
hand industrial grade carpet tiles at 50p each from a car boot sale .... ok
a couple had chewing gum stuck and the odd staple.......but bloody hell they
look good and were cheap ....must have had light use in an office situation
.........could have wasted a fortune buying new crap like that ieka kitchen
.....never again ....

My parents bought a carpet for the hall, stairs and landing in 1963. It
had previously been used at an exhibition. It lasted until the mid '90s.
My brand new, expensive and supposedly good quality hall, stairs and
landing carpet installed in 1993, was worn through and had to be
replaced in 2004. Even worse, until 2002, there was only me here to wear
it out, wheras my parents had themselves, myself and my sister there
until 1993.

Their old carpet was propely fitted too. None of these gripper rods.
Steel washers sown to the back of it and hooked over the heads of screws
in the floor!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Their old carpet was propely fitted too. None of these gripper rods.
Steel washers sown to the back of it and hooked over the heads of screws
in the floor!

Forget the name for that - loop and pin? Once common oop north. Doesn't
give as neat a job as smoothedge, though.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
[...]

Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 November 2017 00:25:29 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
On 15/11/2017 15:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My parents bought a carpet for the hall, stairs and landing in 1963. It
had previously been used at an exhibition. It lasted until the mid '90s.
My brand new, expensive and supposedly good quality hall, stairs and
landing carpet installed in 1993, was worn through and had to be
replaced in 2004. Even worse, until 2002, there was only me here to wear
it out, wheras my parents had themselves, myself and my sister there
until 1993.

Their old carpet was propely fitted too. None of these gripper rods.
Steel washers sown to the back of it and hooked over the heads of screws
in the floor!

Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker writes:
[...]

Ask Dave, he will know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 15:10:43 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
always go for second hand......just decked out the utility room with second
hand industrial grade carpet tiles at 50p each from a car boot sale .... ok
a couple had chewing gum stuck and the odd staple.......but bloody hell they
look good and were cheap ....must have had light use in an office situation
.........could have wasted a fortune buying new crap like that ieka kitchen
.....never again ....

And cars.
Best bought a year old or thereabouts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 15:10:43 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
always go for second hand......just decked out the utility room with
second
hand industrial grade carpet tiles at 50p each from a car boot sale ....
ok
a couple had chewing gum stuck and the odd staple.......but bloody hell
they
look good and were cheap ....must have had light use in an office
situation
.........could have wasted a fortune buying new crap like that ieka
kitchen
.....never again ....

And cars.
Best bought a year old or thereabouts.

Trouble with that approach is you get a hell of a lot less
choice and are much more likely to be buying something
that someone has decided is a steaming turd with wheels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

It costs more from the same source. ;-)

The basic rubber fabric backed stuff won't last anywhere near as long as
even a halfway decent carpet.

I rather like Cloud9 as underlay.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
bm wrote:
Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

Ask Dave, he will know.

True - unlike you who seem to know f-all about anything DIY, but still
insist on posting.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article m,
bm wrote:
Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

Ask Dave, he will know.

True - unlike you who seem to know f-all about anything DIY, but still
insist on posting.

LOL, look here sunshine. If you can keep posting ********, so can I.
I actually do a bit of DIY.
I realise it's beneath you, you just get someone in.
Us penniless plebs have to do it ourselves.
You need a partner, Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
bm wrote:
True - unlike you who seem to know f-all about anything DIY, but still
insist on posting.

LOL, look here sunshine. If you can keep posting ********, so can I.
I actually do a bit of DIY.

If you say so. But explain why, in the last couple of weeks or so of your
many many posts, only one has anything even vaguely to do with a DIY topic.

Your ratio of ******** to DIY is about 56:1

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
True - unlike you who seem to know f-all about anything DIY, but still
insist on posting.

LOL, look here sunshine. If you can keep posting ********, so can I.
I actually do a bit of DIY.

If you say so. But explain why, in the last couple of weeks or so of your
many many posts, only one has anything even vaguely to do with a DIY
topic.

Your ratio of ******** to DIY is about 56:1

Yes, it's difficult to keep up with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

I rather like Cloud9 as underlay.

+1

I fitted some a while ago and, TBH, it is much better than I expected.
Easy to fit/lay, too. Makes a cheap and cheerful carpet feel quite
luxurious.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 November 2017 10:37:26 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

It costs more from the same source. ;-)

The basic rubber fabric backed stuff won't last anywhere near as long as
even a halfway decent carpet.

I rather like Cloud9 as underlay.

sounds like neither of us knows then.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

I rather like Cloud9 as underlay.

+1

I fitted some a while ago and, TBH, it is much better than I expected.
Easy to fit/lay, too. Makes a cheap and cheerful carpet feel quite
luxurious.

Yup - and it also lasts well. Replaced the original underlay in my hall
and stairs with it several years ago and it's still as springy as new. The
original underlay had turned to dust.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*