Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default never buy new......

On Friday, 17 November 2017 03:10:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 17 November 2017 00:25:29 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
On 15/11/2017 15:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My parents bought a carpet for the hall, stairs and landing in 1963. It
had previously been used at an exhibition. It lasted until the mid
'90s.
My brand new, expensive and supposedly good quality hall, stairs and
landing carpet installed in 1993, was worn through and had to be
replaced in 2004. Even worse, until 2002, there was only me here to
wear
it out, wheras my parents had themselves, myself and my sister there
until 1993.

Their old carpet was propely fitted too. None of these gripper rods.
Steel washers sown to the back of it and hooked over the heads of
screws
in the floor!

Good carpets usually fail when the underlay fails.
A common issue is fitting crap underlay on the basis it can't be
seen, and then it collapses where walked on, and the carpet wears out.

How do you tell which is the good stuff?

Ask the supplier.

lol