Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3 port valve and UFH - balancing necessary?

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...set-p-944.html

has a 3 port valve.

As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port
valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh
UFH circuit and none will be taken or returned to the CH primary circuit?

If that is so, then I don't need to balance the main CH connection to
this - it will self regulate?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 11:38, Tim Watts wrote:
https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...set-p-944.html

has a 3 port valve.

As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port
valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh
UFH circuit and none will be taken or returned to the CH primary circuit?

If that is so, then I don't need to balance the main CH connection to
this - it will self regulate?

Cheers

Tim

How is the connection to the main CH system controlled? The mixing valve
will control the temperature of the water flowing through the UFH pipes
but it won't control the room temperature.

My single room UFH has its own zone within an S-Plan+ system. A wireless
room stat controls the zone valve *and* the UFH's pump. The UFH is only
fed from the boiler and circulated by its own pump when the *room* is
calling for heat. I don't have any balancing between this zone and the
main radiator zone or the HW zone - but the system seems to work ok
regardless of how many zones are calling for heat at any given moment.

Not sure whether this answers your question?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/17 14:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/11/2017 11:38, Tim Watts wrote:
https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...set-p-944.html

has a 3 port valve.

As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port
valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh
UFH circuit and none will be taken or returned to the CH primary circuit?

If that is so, then I don't need to balance the main CH connection to
this - it will self regulate?

Cheers

Tim

How is the connection to the main CH system controlled? The mixing valve
will control the temperature of the water flowing through the UFH pipes
but it won't control the room temperature.

Hi Roger,

Permanent connection. The UFH blender pump will be controlled by
timer/stat on its own zone[1]

[1] One option is to control the conservatory on a full own zone. The
shower room is only about 200W of potential heating due to tiny floor
area. I might run this opportunistically - ie the pump will energise
whenever the boiler has call for heat. If I were smart I might have a
simple stat to cut the pump when the floor temperature is up.

My single room UFH has its own zone within an S-Plan+ system. A wireless
room stat controls the zone valve *and* the UFH's pump. The UFH is only
fed from the boiler and circulated by its own pump when the *room* is
calling for heat. I don't have any balancing between this zone and the
main radiator zone or the HW zone - but the system seems to work ok
regardless of how many zones are calling for heat at any given moment.

Not sure whether this answers your question?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 14:57, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

But it's not the floor temperature which matters - it's the temperature
of the room which is heated by the floor which is important. If the room
is hot enough, you can allow the floor to cool a bit - a bit like
turning radiators on and off, but with a long time cycle.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/17 11:08, Roger Mills wrote:

But it's not the floor temperature which matters - it's the temperature
of the room which is heated by the floor which is important. If the room
is hot enough, you can allow the floor to cool a bit - a bit like
turning radiators on and off, but with a long time cycle.

I'm treating a 3m2 floor with UFH like a towel rail - it could run flat
out (200-300W max) and not make a huge impact (and we have the option to
run this cooler, eg 35C).

It's main function is comfort and drying the floor - it doesn't seem
worth bothering to actually control it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/11/17 11:08, Roger Mills wrote:

But it's not the floor temperature which matters - it's the
temperature of the room which is heated by the floor which is
important. If the room is hot enough, you can allow the floor to cool
a bit - a bit like turning radiators on and off, but with a long time
cycle.

I'm treating a 3m2 floor with UFH like a towel rail - it could run flat
out (200-300W max) and not make a huge impact (and we have the option to
run this cooler, eg 35C).

It's main function is comfort and drying the floor - it doesn't seem
worth bothering to actually control it

Based on no experience at all as I have never played with UFH (!!), I'd
have thought it desirable to balance the UFH with respect to the
radiator loops. You don't want the flow through the UFH loop to rob the
rads of heat when the demand is high - such as at switch on or very cold
weather when perhaps the conservatory losses are high and keeping the
house warm is a priority.

Bob