Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3 port valve and UFH - balancing necessary?

On 13/11/17 14:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/11/2017 11:38, Tim Watts wrote:
https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...set-p-944.html

has a 3 port valve.

As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port
valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh
UFH circuit and none will be taken or returned to the CH primary circuit?

If that is so, then I don't need to balance the main CH connection to
this - it will self regulate?

Cheers

Tim

How is the connection to the main CH system controlled? The mixing valve
will control the temperature of the water flowing through the UFH pipes
but it won't control the room temperature.

Hi Roger,

Permanent connection. The UFH blender pump will be controlled by
timer/stat on its own zone[1]

[1] One option is to control the conservatory on a full own zone. The
shower room is only about 200W of potential heating due to tiny floor
area. I might run this opportunistically - ie the pump will energise
whenever the boiler has call for heat. If I were smart I might have a
simple stat to cut the pump when the floor temperature is up.

My single room UFH has its own zone within an S-Plan+ system. A wireless
room stat controls the zone valve *and* the UFH's pump. The UFH is only
fed from the boiler and circulated by its own pump when the *room* is
calling for heat. I don't have any balancing between this zone and the
main radiator zone or the HW zone - but the system seems to work ok
regardless of how many zones are calling for heat at any given moment.

Not sure whether this answers your question?