Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default 3 port valve and UFH - balancing necessary?

Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/11/17 11:08, Roger Mills wrote:

But it's not the floor temperature which matters - it's the
temperature of the room which is heated by the floor which is
important. If the room is hot enough, you can allow the floor to cool
a bit - a bit like turning radiators on and off, but with a long time
cycle.

I'm treating a 3m2 floor with UFH like a towel rail - it could run flat
out (200-300W max) and not make a huge impact (and we have the option to
run this cooler, eg 35C).

It's main function is comfort and drying the floor - it doesn't seem
worth bothering to actually control it

Based on no experience at all as I have never played with UFH (!!), I'd
have thought it desirable to balance the UFH with respect to the
radiator loops. You don't want the flow through the UFH loop to rob the
rads of heat when the demand is high - such as at switch on or very cold
weather when perhaps the conservatory losses are high and keeping the
house warm is a priority.

Bob