Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3 port valve and UFH - balancing necessary?

On 13/11/2017 14:57, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/11/17 14:11, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/11/2017 11:38, Tim Watts wrote:
https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...set-p-944.html

has a 3 port valve.

As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port
valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh
UFH circuit and none will be taken or returned to the CH primary
circuit?

If that is so, then I don't need to balance the main CH connection to
this - it will self regulate?

Cheers

Tim

How is the connection to the main CH system controlled? The mixing
valve will control the temperature of the water flowing through the
UFH pipes but it won't control the room temperature.

Hi Roger,

Permanent connection. The UFH blender pump will be controlled by
timer/stat on its own zone[1]

[1] One option is to control the conservatory on a full own zone. The
shower room is only about 200W of potential heating due to tiny floor
area. I might run this opportunistically - ie the pump will energise
whenever the boiler has call for heat. If I were smart I might have a
simple stat to cut the pump when the floor temperature is up.

But it's not the floor temperature which matters - it's the temperature
of the room which is heated by the floor which is important. If the room
is hot enough, you can allow the floor to cool a bit - a bit like
turning radiators on and off, but with a long time cycle.
--
Cheers,
Roger