Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Karcher K4 pressure washer

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/11/2017 07:55, sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?

This appears to show it being used from the mains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlNjqJuit-o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4. Now OH tells me it cannot
be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?
it does say "cannot be used on the water net"). So, can it be used
or not?

What it actually says is "the appliance must never be used on the
drinking water net without a system separator."

Which sounds like Karcher-speak for "should have a double check valve on
your garden tap" but you should have one anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" wrote in message

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure
washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. .
It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews.
Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too
powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into
the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state
it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions
( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used
or not?

wont be a problem my three different karchers work on very low pressure and
use very little water.....just don't put your hand in front of the jet as it
will cut your skin as I found out......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

sweetheart Wrote in message:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?

Can't you just put the supply pipe in the river?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Maybe they are covering themselves when all the streets water pressure
drops when its in use grin.

This is no laughing matter, boy.

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

[...]

You're just a thin skinned wimp.....,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:55:06 -0800 (PST), sweetheart
wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?

But after" cannot be used on the water net" it goes onto say "without
a system separator". EN 12729 Type BA .

Water net I would hazard a guess means the mains water supply in a not
too perfect translation from German . The costly EN 12729 Type BA
devices that can be purchased to enable legal connection may be a
German regulation. Here I would just make sure the tap you intend
connecting it to is a reasonably modern one that has a double check
valve arrangement built into it or fit one in the supply pipe.
That is what the 1000's of other people who buy pressure washers in
the UK will be doing.
If you are still worried that may break regulations arrange for it to
draw water from a butt but have a hose filling it about the same speed
as you are drawing water from it, could even use a large flow ball
valve arrangemet in the butt to do that automatically on the feed.
Water Butt about £35 . Float valve around a tenner , tenner for
sundries, total about £55 .

Backflow preventer as suggested by Karcher manual , Around £450.

Don't think many people wll be going that route.

OTOH is your other half concerned that you actually have too low a
water pressure to supply the machine anyway?
If so just use the water butt method and accept that periods of rest
may need to occur while it fills up again.

G.Harman

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

[...]

must be the pills then .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

[...]

OK you try it stuck a finger in the flow at the nozzle of a skaratcher and
let me know how you get on ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?

He's talking rubbish. All pressure washers will work off mains supplies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Just checked, I have a K4. Apart from being a piece of overpriced crap
which is far inferior to the old Karcher of 20 years ago, it works from
mains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it probably means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I suspect he was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure washer for him without asking him first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure
washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the
ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he
saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading
reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because
it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link
into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$
state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the
instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") .
So, can it be used or not?

Maybe he felt the same way as some women would if presented with a new
iron or hoover to replace their old, knackered one. Especially as a
Christmas present?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it probably
means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I suspect he
was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure washer for him
without asking him first.

quite right an all .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it probably
means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I suspect he
was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure washer for him
without asking him first.

And so he should be. It makes no sense to be buying
stuff you dont understand if you dont have to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"sweetheart" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it
probably means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I
suspect he was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure
washer for him without asking him first.

And so he should be. It makes no sense to be buying
stuff you don't understand if you don't have to.

wummin just don't have the grasp ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 07:55, sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

That Santa is a complete ******* delivering the present in November.

Why don't you nip off down to a Ann Summers store and buy some sexy
underwear and give your husband a proper Christmas present to unwrap?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 07:55, sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because it is too powerful. Is this true?

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$ state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") . So, can it be used or not?

I have a k4 and it works perfectly from the mains water.

Bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 8:04:19 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it probably
means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I suspect he
was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure washer for him
without asking him first.

quite right an all .....

Maybe not. I bought him his original pressure washer. I usually buy him some gadget or other for Christmas. He doesnt want anything else. I think his real gripe was more how much a K4 had cost when a K2 would have been far less although he didnt say that. I also got him one with all the attachments .. he was moaning he really only wanted the cheaper one with a couple of wands. But , I know he will use the attachments despite what he says.

He bought me a dishwasher one year, a washing machine another and could easily have bought me an iron, although my 20 year old one is going strong still.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
On 13/11/2017 07:55, sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he saw it!

That Santa is a complete ******* delivering the present in November.

Why don't you nip off down to a Ann Summers store and buy some sexy
underwear and give your husband a proper Christmas present to unwrap?

Pvc? Latex?
(to cope with environmental conditions ;-) )
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:40:48 -0800 (PST), sweetheart
wrote:

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 8:04:19 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have informed my husband it proba=

bly=20
means a non return valve ( which we already have). He nodded. I suspect=

he=20
was just trying to upset me because I bought the pressure washer for h=

im=20
without asking him first.

=20
quite right an all .....

Maybe not. I bought him his original pressure washer. I usually buy him som=
e gadget or other for Christmas. He doesnt want anything else. I think his =
real gripe was more how much a K4 had cost when a K2 would have been far le=
ss although he didnt say that. I also got him one with all the attachments =
. he was moaning he really only wanted the cheaper one with a couple of wan=
ds. But , I know he will use the attachments despite what he says.=20

He bought me a dishwasher one year, a washing machine another and could ea=
sily have bought me an iron, although my 20 year old one is going strong st=
ill.=20

What a romantic couple ://

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 04:40:50 UTC, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

The high speed rotating wand thing (not the brush) is excellent.
Especially on pavements etc.
The big brush thing is useless IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2017 07:55, sweetheart wrote:

I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure
washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the
ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he
saw it!

I got the K4 because I thought it was the better one - reading
reviews. Now OH tells me it cannot be used on a mains supply because
it is too powerful. Is this true?

Not because it is too powerful but because the water companies don't
like you connecting things that can potentially pump chemicals back into
their drinking water supply network if things go wrong.

I didnt get it to use on a ruddy water butt. I intended it to link
into the outside tap where we currently have the hosepipes
connected.

Why do none of the review sites or even the information about the K$
state it cannot be used on domestic supplies? OH read it in the
instructions ( yes it does say " cannot be used on the water net") .
So, can it be used or not?

I think you will find it actually means that you should have a
non-return valve in the path to the tap (and that will have been true of
your previous one too). It is to protect the mains water supply from
blowback of industrial detergent into the supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-No...dp/B005A5LZBI/

There are cheaper ones - this was the first I found online.
Mine is a Hozelock.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown