Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2017 18:24, Bob Minchin wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

Thank you. Screwfix sell Mapei Backfill Bitumen sealant cartridges.
They are twice the price of their other roof sealant products. I wonder
if they are any better.

--

Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

Thank you. Screwfix sell Mapei Backfill Bitumen sealant cartridges.
They are twice the price of their other roof sealant products. I wonder
if they are any better.

Bitumen is cheap stuff. General approach to roof cracks:
Fill crack with sand & bitumen
Apply bitumen
Apply cloth. Anything can do but synthetic fibres last better.
Apply bitumen
Apply sand.

* for bitumen read bitumen + solvent, sold in gallon cans.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

With a long crack, it might be worth applying a felt patch, bedded on
mastic from a tin (slightly cheaper than cartridges).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

With a long crack, it might be worth applying a felt patch, bedded on
mastic from a tin (slightly cheaper than cartridges).

Aquapol with its reinforcing scrim? Wonderful stuff.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/11/2017 08:06, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

I have used this on my felt shed roof with good results.
I believe it is bitumen with fiber particles to strengthen it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone...lack-1kg/57518
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 08:06, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

+1
Aluminium strip with about 2mm bitumen on one side. I have found it
very effective when it is used with the appropriate primer. It can
easily be moulded. I used it once to seal a circular downpipe going
through a flat garage roof. Very effective

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from a
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave W" Wrote in message:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from a
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.

JOOI If the roof's metal, to what part(s) are you applying the
lengths of tarred foil?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dave W" Wrote in message:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.

JOOI If the roof's metal, to what part(s) are you applying the
lengths of tarred foil?

Over the split in the metal caused by slates falling off the main roof onto
it, corner first.
--
Dave W

Roof tiles made of bitumen? James Wilkinson UK diy 99 July 15th 16 08:49 PM
Bitumen roof felt alternative to bitumen DPC for deck? Adam[_3_] UK diy 7 September 22nd 08 09:09 PM
Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint? Adam Funk UK diy 10 December 20th 06 03:16 PM
flat roof bitumen beamoocher UK diy 1 October 18th 06 09:21 PM
Bitumen Roof Installation Recommendations joshfeingold Home Repair 0 December 7th 04 03:43 PM