DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/599977-repairing-crack-flat-bitumen-roof.html)

Michael Chare[_4_] November 11th 17 04:28 PM

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Bob Minchin[_4_] November 11th 17 06:24 PM

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

Michael Chare[_4_] November 11th 17 07:38 PM

On 11/11/2017 18:24, Bob Minchin wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

Thank you. Screwfix sell Mapei Backfill Bitumen sealant cartridges.
They are twice the price of their other roof sealant products. I wonder
if they are any better.

--

Michael Chare

[email protected] November 11th 17 08:44 PM

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

Thank you. Screwfix sell Mapei Backfill Bitumen sealant cartridges.
They are twice the price of their other roof sealant products. I wonder
if they are any better.

Bitumen is cheap stuff. General approach to roof cracks:
Fill crack with sand & bitumen
Apply bitumen
Apply cloth. Anything can do but synthetic fibres last better.
Apply bitumen
Apply sand.

* for bitumen read bitumen + solvent, sold in gallon cans.

NT

newshound November 11th 17 08:51 PM

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

With a long crack, it might be worth applying a felt patch, bedded on
mastic from a tin (slightly cheaper than cartridges).

Dave Plowman (News) November 12th 17 12:30 AM

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

You can get roof sealant cartridges which I think are bitumen based and
should retain some flexibility.

With a long crack, it might be worth applying a felt patch, bedded on
mastic from a tin (slightly cheaper than cartridges).

Aquapol with its reinforcing scrim? Wonderful stuff.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

harry November 12th 17 08:06 AM

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

ss November 12th 17 09:03 AM

On 12/11/2017 08:06, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

I have used this on my felt shed roof with good results.
I believe it is bitumen with fiber particles to strengthen it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone...lack-1kg/57518

Malcolm Race[_2_] November 12th 17 02:42 PM

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

On 12/11/2017 08:06, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 16:28:51 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

--
Michael Chare

Flash band on top of bitumous mastic.
Use the flashband primer.
Best done in warm weather. Unfortunately.

+1
Aluminium strip with about 2mm bitumen on one side. I have found it
very effective when it is used with the appropriate primer. It can
easily be moulded. I used it once to seal a circular downpipe going
through a flat garage roof. Very effective

Malcolm

Dave W[_2_] November 12th 17 06:56 PM

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from a
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.
--
Dave W

Jim November 12th 17 11:21 PM

"Dave W" Wrote in message:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from a
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.

JOOI If the roof's metal, to what part(s) are you applying the
lengths of tarred foil?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dave W[_2_] November 21st 17 09:46 PM

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dave W" Wrote in message:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to
repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the
edge where there is a lip to control direction of water flow.

Some has used what is now hard grey stuff to repair some previous
blemishes in the tiles. It is subsequently cracked.

I repair my flat metal kitchen extension roof with a length off a roll of
grey foil with bitumen layer obtained from a roofing merchant. Heat from
blowtorch melts it onto the metal.

JOOI If the roof's metal, to what part(s) are you applying the
lengths of tarred foil?

Over the split in the metal caused by slates falling off the main roof onto
it, corner first.
--
Dave W