Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So that's where they're from.

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

They used to be cardboard ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

They used to be cardboard ...

Ive noticed that too. Its a bit odd given that the firework makers seemed
to have gone to some lengths to make the rest of the fireworks out of
biodegradable materials. Many of the parts that look like plastic (rocket
nose cones and launcher tubes) seem to be made of that corn starch based
plastic and disintegrate pretty quickly.

The motors however all seem to be a translucent rigid hard plastic tubes
that dont *look* biodegradable. I could be wrong though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 11/9/2017 4:12 PM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

It's hardly rocket science...;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

The centre of till rolls? I saved loads of them at the shop - never did
find a use for them and eventually threw them away.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/17 18:34, Bob Henson wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

The centre of till rolls? I saved loads of them at the shop - never did
find a use for them and eventually threw them away.

Whoosh!

(literally)

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huh, nothing hearable, so what on earth are you on about?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in the
garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For decades, I've been finding little grey plastic tubes in the garden.
The first time was just after a neighbour had had a conservatory built,
and I assumed the tubes were somehow involved in the process. Perhaps
they were from a nail gun, or maybe they were some kind of masonry plug?
Messy buggers, I thought. It seemed odd that they kept appearing over
the years, but I never questioned my original guess. This week, after a
bonfire night weekend, there are again loads of them in the garden, and
I suddenly realised they are from fireworks.

Brian Gaff wrote:
Huh, nothing hearable, so what on earth are you on about?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09-Nov-17 5:37 PM, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

They used to be cardboard ...

Ive noticed that too. Its a bit odd given that the firework makers seemed
to have gone to some lengths to make the rest of the fireworks out of
biodegradable materials. Many of the parts that look like plastic (rocket
nose cones and launcher tubes) seem to be made of that corn starch based
plastic and disintegrate pretty quickly.

The motors however all seem to be a translucent rigid hard plastic tubes
that dont *look* biodegradable. I could be wrong though.

Probably less susceptible to damp and hence to the firework that doesn't
appear to be going off, until somebody approaches it to check.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:59:20 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

After years of wondering where all those little grey plastic tubes in
the garden come from, the light has finally dawned...

They used to be cardboard ...

I’ve noticed that too. It’s a bit odd given that the firework makers seemed
to have gone to some lengths to make the rest of the fireworks out of
biodegradable materials.

The motors however all seem to be a translucent rigid hard plastic tubes
that don’t *look* biodegradable. I could be wrong though.

Probably less susceptible to damp and hence to the firework that doesn't
appear to be going off, until somebody approaches it to check.

Those who go game or clay pigeon shooting with shotguns have come
across similar issues . Many cartridges have been plastic cased rather
than thick card for years but they tend to fall within a few feet of
the Gun after ejection or need to be removed by hand anyway and so are
easily collected , here is a little bit of brass whose scrap value may
build up eventually once hundreds are accumulated. More of a problem
are the wads which are ejected from the barrel and land yards away ,
at a clay pigeon site a clean up afterwards is often done but with
game shooting the wads "disappear " into the undergrowth.
They were paper at one time and rotted away but then manufactures
found it was cheaper to use polyethylene and in some cases it has been
used for ballistic characteristics as well as some shooters feel
plastic is more consistent and like the firework example doesn't get
affected by damp.

Hence a good part of the countryside now has plastic disks littering
it.

The problem hasn't gone unnoticed and many shoots now ban cartridges
with plastic wads though in some cases it was Landowners who imposed
the condition and they had to conform or shoot elsewhere.

G.Harman