Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulate external door

Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 16:48, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

UPVC, Timber or Aluminium ?.

If UPVC, then insulated panels are available but cost more than
a proper DG glass unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fevric J. Glandules, Iggy wrote:
Thin (or thick if you like) foam-board covered by aluminum or plastic
sheeting. The upper glass can be sheeted-over with Plexiglas or other clear
plastic, to create a dead-air space and insulate quite well. Both are best
done on the outside, where protrusion from trim isn't noticed. And, new
weather-stripping will also go a very long way.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1246781-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 17:03, Andrew wrote:
On 01/11/2017 16:48, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick.Â* I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use.Â* As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

UPVC, Timber or Aluminium ?.

If UPVC, then insulated panels are available but cost more than
a proper DG glass unit.

If aluminium, then there are *loads* of aluminium decor panels
insulated with polypropylene piled up at scrap yards all over
the place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 November 2017 16:05:22 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 01/11/2017 17:03, Andrew wrote:
On 01/11/2017 16:48, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick.Â* I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use.Â* As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

UPVC, Timber or Aluminium ?.

If UPVC, then insulated panels are available but cost more than
a proper DG glass unit.

If aluminium, then there are *loads* of aluminium decor panels
insulated with polypropylene piled up at scrap yards all over
the place.

I bet they don't get resold :/ for low rise housing where they're appropriate.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 01/11/2017 17:03, Andrew wrote:
On 01/11/2017 16:48, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick.* I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use.* As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

UPVC, Timber or Aluminium ?.

If UPVC, then insulated panels are available but cost more than
a proper DG glass unit.

If aluminium, then there are *loads* of aluminium decor panels
insulated with polypropylene piled up at scrap yards all over
the place.

Timber - the panel in question is probably plywood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed by another piece of ply to hold it in place, and then replaced the moulding to hold it in place. My digital thermometer registered an improvement but I can't remember how much.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed
by another piece of ply to hold it in place,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 19:59:40 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed
by another piece of ply to hold it in place,

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you can get better insulation, do. It's not worth skimping that much.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed by another piece of ply

For the benefit of the archives...

I blagged a piece of 11mm thick underlay from a carpet shop and glued it
on to the panel. Then a piece of white-faced ply from B&Q glued and
nailed over the top. Hence from the outside in
- the original ply
- underlay
- an air gap of about 5mm
- another piece of ply
which should represent a thermal barrier...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 18:37:31 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed by another piece of ply

For the benefit of the archives...

I blagged a piece of 11mm thick underlay from a carpet shop and glued it
on to the panel. Then a piece of white-faced ply from B&Q glued and
nailed over the top. Hence from the outside in
- the original ply
- underlay
- an air gap of about 5mm
- another piece of ply
which should represent a thermal barrier...

Yes, but do include an ali foil layer on the inside of the insulation next time or you may get a buildup of mould & loss of insulation over time. Hopefully you won't but it sometimes happens.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Fevric J. Glandules" Wrote in message:
Jonathan wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 16:48:35 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Helping someone out with this... their back door has a panel in
the lower half which must be all of 2mm thick. I am thinking
to insulate this in some way but cannot decide on the best
material to use. As "not being ugly" is apparently a consideration.

Any thoughts?

On our timber doors I removed the moulding and used bubble wrap followed by another piece of ply

For the benefit of the archives...

I blagged a piece of 11mm thick underlay from a carpet shop and glued it
on to the panel. Then a piece of white-faced ply from B&Q glued and
nailed over the top. Hence from the outside in
- the original ply
- underlay
- an air gap of about 5mm
- another piece of ply
which should represent a thermal barrier...

How did you maintain a 5mm air gap by gluing & nailing you
innermost piece ofply?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

"Fevric J. Glandules" Wrote in message:
I blagged a piece of 11mm thick underlay from a carpet shop and glued it
on to the panel. Then a piece of white-faced ply from B&Q glued and
nailed over the top. Hence from the outside in
- the original ply
- underlay
- an air gap of about 5mm
- another piece of ply
which should represent a thermal barrier...

How did you maintain a 5mm air gap by gluing & nailing you
innermost piece of
ply?

The original ply is recessed by ~16mm.

Something a bit like this perhaps:
http://www.diy.com/departments/2-pan.../176216_BQ.prd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 November 2017 10:06:05 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 18:37:31 UTC, Fevric J. Glandules

I blagged a piece of 11mm thick underlay from a carpet shop and

glued it
on to the panel. Then a piece of white-faced ply from B&Q glued and
nailed over the top. Hence from the outside in
- the original ply
- underlay
- an air gap of about 5mm
- another piece of ply
which should represent a thermal barrier...

Yes, but do include an ali foil layer on the inside of the insulation next time

When you say inside, where do you mean? Between the original ply
and the underlay?

that would do the job.

NT