Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulate steel garage door?

I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

It would help. That thin metal is passing a lot of heat. Good in the
winter if the sun is directly on it, bad in the winter with no sun as heat
will escape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:50 am, Stupid48 wrote:
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

depending on your climate: the insulating r-value will determine if it
is helpful. if undesirable heat is entering the home from an attached
garage, increase the insulation in the connecting wall. the material
you are looking for should be a fire-retardant material. a temperature-
operated exhaust fan like an attic fan might be more effective.
structure and existing insulation and the garage's use are items to
review.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stupid48 wrote:
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

You're dealing with radiant heating, so a radiant barrier insulation
will work the best for you. That 1/4 inch foil insulation worked for
us with a metal door that faced directly east. By noon, we couldn't
stand near the door. After installing the radiant barrier foil
insulation, we could stand right next to the door. The outside was a
different story.

We did it, it worked for us and made the garage a lot nicer place to
work. It also helped in the winter time.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:50 am, Stupid48 wrote:
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

I had a similar problem mhere in Canada - very hot in the summer and
very cold in the winter. Compoundng the fact, my family room directly
adjoins the garage so it was influenced as well.

I insulated and it made a huge difference. FWIW, I also addressed the
air infiltration problem around the doors which made a larger impact
in the winter.

Also, I originally used a mastic type of tube compound to tag the
insultaion on, but eventually it popped off because of the temperature
shifts. I ended using straps and also the aluminum heating duct tape
which worked well. I simply used the syrofoam sheets cut and notched
on my tablesaw to fit in the door panels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:50:05 -0700, Stupid48
wrote:

I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

Call the manufacturer of your doors. They may have retro fit
insulation. My 10 x10 shop doors were less than $100 each. Vinyl
backed insulation that fit perfectly and came with trim pieces to hold
it in place.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels?

Yes, I did it for a friend of mine Worked well

It seems to me that some kind of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly
in the panels.

Look in the yellow pages and call some real Insulation places (Not Lowes or
Home Depot)

Thats what I did and got some panels that are made specifically for that
purpose and are designed to slide right in..
Inside face of the Foam is covered with some type of tuff vinyl to protect
it from "dings" in the garage
They tell me it helps a lot keeping the temps down in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:18 pm, "Rudy" wrote:
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels?

It seems to me that some kind of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly
in the panels.

Look in the yellow pages and call some real Insulation places (Not Lowes or
Home Depot)

Thats what I did and got some panels that are made specifically for that
purpose and are designed to slide right in..
Inside face of the Foam is covered with some type of tuff vinyl to protect
it from "dings" in the garage
They tell me it helps a lot keeping the temps down in there.

Thanks for all the help. For the price, the styro inserts couldn't
hurt so I tried them. I added some insulating foil to the inside for
some extra deflection. We'll see what happens.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

Wasting your time & money. If it really gets 145 degrees in there, then you
have bigger issues than the garage doors.
You need to insulate the whole thing along with the doors. Some attic
ventelation would help too. My garage has R-19 in the walls and R-38 in the
celing. The doors are insulated too. So long as the hot cars are kept out,
it won't get hotter than 85 degrees in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.A. Michel wrote:
"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pretty standard steel double garage door. My garage gets up
to about 145 degrees during the summer mostly because my house faces
the sun pretty much all day. Is there any value to me adding
insulation to the garage door panels? It seems to me that some kind
of styrofoam insulation would fit perfectly in the panels. I've seen
the kind with the metallic coating on it before. Would this help or
am I wasting my time?

Thanks, Chris

Wasting your time & money.

Not hardly. Have you ever touched the inside of a sheet metal garage door
exposed to full sun? They become a big radiant heater. And if the rest of
the garage is well insulated, the heat is trapped and very efficiently
retained.

I had the same situation as the OP, and once the doors were insulated the
interior temp dropped from an average 135F to 85F.

If it really gets 145 degrees in there,
then you have bigger issues than the garage doors.

Not really.

You need to insulate the whole thing along with the doors....

Commented on above. Big radiant heaters + well insulated garage = massive
heat build up.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have no attic. There are bedrooms directly above the garage and a
garage door entrance straight into the living room basically. It's
not hard to get that hot in my garage when the ambiant temp outside is
110 and my house faces the sun all day pretty much. I notice that it
is helping already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i put some board type styrafoam in my metal garage door and it cooled it
down alot. got it in big sheets at home depot.