Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Puncture Repair 'Gunge'

Brian Reay wrote:

I've always been more than dubious about the puncture repair gunge which
you can use and is increasingly supplied with new cars. In the past,
I've always invested in a proper spare wheel or at least a 'space saver'
one.

However, my views are based on discussions I had with someone in the
tyre business some time back (decades) who said he wouldn't repair a
tyre which had been 'repaired' with gunge as it was all but impossible
to ensure the gunge could be removed so a proper repair could be made.
(I appreciate the gunge is no more than a temporary repair).

However, with the passage of time, have things changed? Do people find
that they must replace a tyre which they have used 'gunge' on (assuming
the damage would normally be repairable).

My question is more than academic- I collect a new car at the weekend
and not only does it lack a spare wheel, there isn't space for one (the
space is occupied by electric motors to drive the rear wheels).

Ive no proof but I suspect that the €śimpossible to repair€ť story is a
cover for €ścant be arsed cleaning the stuff out€ť.

Now it may well be that it does take more time/effort and in some cases be
not cost-effective but I cant see why it should preclude a patch being
vulcanised onto the tyre interior.

Anyone had a gunged tyre repaired?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

From https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/news/ive-used-tyreweld/

€śUsing Tyreweld doesnt prevent your tyre being fixed.€ť

And from
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/pa...2011-08/slime/

€śSlime Tyre Sealant, an environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-hazardous,
water-based sealant which
contains shredded, re-cycled tyres and, in conjunction with a portable air
compressor, can be used for
semi-permanent repair of punctures up to 6mm. The sealant remains liquid in
the tyre and is safe for use at normal driving speeds. It can also be
cleaned out of the tyre so that it can be professionally repaired.€ť

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2017 18:45, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

Everywhere seems to not want to repair a "gunged" tyre, despite all(?)
the modern gunges being water based and easily washed out.

SteveW

Header Tank Gunge nemo UK diy 6 October 4th 15 09:13 PM
Puncture repair in lawn tractor YAY! The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 4 May 21st 14 04:20 PM
New House Problem #2: Indesit WIB111 Wash Machine - gunge in wash Java Jive[_2_] UK diy 23 April 1st 13 03:28 PM
How to clean gunge of a chip fryer? Fredxx UK diy 20 January 12th 11 09:46 AM
Gunge in Washer doorseal. Stanley UK diy 3 April 10th 08 12:40 PM