Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Doh! Smashed a 5ft fluorescent tube in the garage...

I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting
B New led panel type light fitting
C Or?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it a single fitting or a double and are there others there that it has to
match?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"jim" k wrote in message
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting
B New led panel type light fitting
C Or?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

What are the options & pros /cons of say...
A led tube into old fitting

When even RS are selling 2600 lumen T8s for under £11, I now what'll be
going into my garage and shed when the next batch start to die

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/led-tube-lights/1268892/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 18:54, jim wrote:
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Yes

B New led panel type light fitting

Poncy.

C Or?

Candle?

5ft LED tubes are now around the £15 or under price.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

I see references to " unsuitable with hf" fittings etc,
so what's the drill / gotchas with retro fitting them into old
fittings?

some come with a "short circuit" starter and say leave the choke in
place (can't see why), others say re-wire the fitting to be a straight
230V connection the tube ... I suspect they will all work that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 20:01, jim wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 23/10/2017 18:54, jim wrote:
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Yes

B New led panel type light fitting

Poncy.

C Or?

Candle?

5ft LED tubes are now around the £15 or under price.

Mmm ok, I see references to " unsuitable with hf" fittings etc,
so what's the drill / gotchas with retro fitting them into old
fittings?

Old fittings with a simple lamp?

Replace tube and swap starter with "special" starter provided with lamp.

And, where to obtain? Postage will be problematic so Screwfix?
Toolsatan? Or?

Electrical wholesalers?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 20:05, Andy Burns wrote:
jim wrote:

I see references to " unsuitable with hf" fittings etc,
Â* so what's the drill / gotchas with retro fitting them into old
Â* fittings?

some come with a "short circuit" starter and say leave the choke in
place (can't see why), others say re-wire the fitting to be a straight
230V connection the tube ... I suspect they will all work that way.

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
On 23/10/2017 20:01, jim wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 23/10/2017 18:54, jim wrote:
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Yes

B New led panel type light fitting

Poncy.

C Or?

Candle?

5ft LED tubes are now around the £15 or under price.

Mmm ok, I see references to " unsuitable with hf" fittings etc,
so what's the drill / gotchas with retro fitting them into old
fittings?

Old fittings with a simple lamp?

Replace tube and swap starter with "special" starter provided with lamp.

And, where to obtain? Postage will be problematic so Screwfix?
Toolsatan? Or?

Electrical wholesalers?

With cap in hand?

Any brands (of led tube) to avoid? /prefer?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting
B New led panel type light fitting
C Or?

TIA

Can't help, but:
In the back of my garage extension there was a small florescent tube which
mostly worked, but sometimes need a thump to work.
I know nothing of these things but bought a "starter" little white plastic
thing, this did not work. Looked at the date on the fitting - 1974. I bought
a new light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history or google groups, but 5ft LEDs do finally
seem to have come down in price like all other LED formats.

I even found some inexpensive G23 bi-pin ones for my outdoor PIR lights,
so they don't lethargically blink into action any more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 19:38, ARW wrote:
On 23/10/2017 18:54, jim wrote:
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Yes

B New led panel type light fitting

Poncy.

C Or?

Candle?

5ft LED tubes are now around the £15 or under price.

I bought a 22W/2000 lumen (ISTR) from Aldi (or Lidl, blends into one in
my mind) for £10 - they're available online elsewhere for about £6 I
think. Replaced a 60W normal fluorescent - seems roughly compatible
light wise.

At first it seemed to flicker, but whether it's sorted itself out or
I've got used to it, not sure, don't notice now.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

ARW Wrote:

Electrical wholesalers?

With cap in hand?

They all seem to give discount on counter-sales without being asked, or
at the mention of "oh, I think we used to have a trade account at your
other branch" it makes you wonder why they publish such inflated list
prices in the first place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history

Quite likely this one, judging by how the browser just sufficed "(1)"
onto the filename, and now I have two copes of it.

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 20:42, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history

Quite likely this one, judging by how the browser just sufficed "(1)"
onto the filename, and now I have two copes of it.

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf

Good enough. Cheers

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Much more expensive than a new tube
as long as the old fitting keeps working.

B New led panel type light fitting

Even more expensive.

C Or?

Replace the smashed tube.

Very hard to compete with long tube fluoros, but I have stopped
using mine and use Hue led strips and bulbs anyway, mainly so
the lights are completely automatic at sunrise and sunset and
when I enter the area where the lights are when its dark enough
and can use voice commands to my phone. Don't use physical
switches at all now. Stupidly expensive but I decided that I wont
be spending the immense pile of cash I have collected before I
die and care more about convenience than a pile of unspent cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"jim" k wrote in message
I sense an opportunity for an upgrade...

What are the options & pros /cons of say...

A led tube into old fitting

Much more expensive than a new tube
as long as the old fitting keeps working.

B New led panel type light fitting

Even more expensive.

C Or?

Replace the smashed tube.

Very hard to compete with long tube fluoros, but I have stopped
using mine and use Hue led strips and bulbs anyway, mainly so
the lights are completely automatic at sunrise and sunset and
when I enter the area where the lights are when its dark enough
and can use voice commands to my phone. Don't use physical
switches at all now. Stupidly expensive but I decided that I wont
be spending the immense pile of cash I have collected before I
die and care more about convenience than a pile of unspent cash.

Hehe
So big that you (pl) feel the need to boast on here of all places?

Kin ell :-D
Hahahhahahaha :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history

Quite likely this one, judging by how the browser just sufficed "(1)"
onto the filename, and now I have two copes of it.

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf

Good enough. Cheers

Why is just the neutral connected to one end of the tube?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history

Quite likely this one, judging by how the browser just sufficed "(1)"
onto the filename, and now I have two copes of it.

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf

Good enough. Cheers

Why is just the neutral connected to one end of the tube?

Maybe it so that you can put the tube in either way round. i.e. swap the
ends.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 20:11:58 +0100, ARW
wrote:

snip

Replace tube and swap starter with "special" starter provided with lamp.

So why *wouldn't* you also remove the ballast (IYCBA etc)? Is it still
doing something useful (power factor maybe)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

why *wouldn't* you also remove the ballast (IYCBA etc)?

The only reason I can think is to make it easier to revert to a fluoro
tube, but why would you want that? I'd remove all the "gubbins".

Is it still doing something useful (power factor maybe)?

For domestic supplies PF is SEP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:42:20 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

why *wouldn't* you also remove the ballast (IYCBA etc)?

The only reason I can think is to make it easier to revert to a fluoro
tube, but why would you want that?

Quite ... and if you have applied the sticker stating you can't ...

I'd remove all the "gubbins".

Unless you were looking to save weight in the fitting, I'm not sure I
would go so far as physically removing the ballast but I would (unless
there was a reason not to) I would bypass it.

Is it still doing something useful (power factor maybe)?

For domestic supplies PF is SEP.

Ok but I was just wondered if it was left in for that reason when it
wasn't?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
othing in my browser history or google groups, but 5ft LEDs do finally
seem to have come down in price like all other LED formats.

I even found some inexpensive G23 bi-pin ones for my outdoor PIR lights,
so they don't lethargically blink into action any more.

All the strip florries here have electronic ballasts. So (almost) instant
start - certainly no flickering.

Since they are work lights, do LED replacements provide at least the same
light level - and how much do they actually save in running costs?

In the workshop, I'm using colour matching north light tubes. Is there a
true LED equivalent?

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I even found some inexpensive G23 bi-pin ones for my outdoor PIR lights,
so they don't lethargically blink into action any more.

All the strip florries here have electronic ballasts.

I never went to HF ballasts, but I did fit electronic starters, I think
they're quite brutal on the tubes, they killed off the oldish tubes I
was using at the time within a few days, but the replacement daylight
white tubes have been OK since. 1 out of 3 of the starters has died and
I decided not to replace it, but to keep the dosh for whenever the tubes
start to die again and then I'll go to LEDs.

So (almost) instant start - certainly no flickering.

My 5ft tubes don't flicker, the G23 CFLs had a big fat iron core
ballast, and took two or three strikes before they lit, especially when
cold, quite annoying for PIR activated lights, nice to have them as
instant LEDs now.

Since they are work lights, do LED replacements provide at least the same
light level - and how much do they actually save in running costs?

at 2600 lumen (for the RS ones I linked to) output is a little lower
than a new 58W tube (3100 lumen) but all the light is directed downward
without a reflector, and under half the power.

In the workshop, I'm using colour matching north light tubes. Is there a
true LED equivalent?

RS's tube selector lets you choose based on CRI, colour reference and
temperature, but presumably you'll pay more.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/lighting/led-lamps/led-tube-lights/

For most lighting I have warm white, except my study and the garage/shed
where I find daylight white is a bit more "wakeful" especially when I
tend to work with lights on and some natural daylight at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
For most lighting I have warm white, except my study and the garage/shed
where I find daylight white is a bit more "wakeful" especially when I
tend to work with lights on and some natural daylight at the same time.

I'm afraid 'daylight' means very little as a definition. Colour matching
north light has an accurate definition.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You once posted a link to swapping them. Luceco link. Like hell I can
find it now.

Nothing in my browser history

Quite likely this one, judging by how the browser just sufficed
"(1)" onto the filename, and now I have two copes of it.

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf

Good enough. Cheers

Why is just the neutral connected to one end of the tube?

Maybe it so that you can put the tube in either way round. i.e. swap the
ends.

In this case yes. The majority of LED tube sold have a driver at on end
and a short circuit at the other end. Sticking L&N to just one end would
cause a bang if the tube was fitted the wrong way around.

--
Adam

Ceiling Fan for Low 7.5ft Ceiling, is it possible? Pinball4Fun Home Repair 14 May 30th 07 05:14 PM
Doh - need to open washing machine door Rob Nicholson UK diy 1 November 27th 06 11:43 PM
DOH! Cant figure out this ceiling fan wiring! Monkey Boy Home Repair 10 August 2nd 06 01:57 AM
Doh! The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 May 7th 06 07:48 AM
A BIG "DOH!!" Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 10 July 19th 05 12:31 PM