Lawrence L'Hote

Default A BIG "DOH!!"

I have been storing my PC 75182 router in the extension table of my Unisaw.
I have been using the one bit off and on for several months now. Today I
needed to change the bit so I removed the router and saw all this stuff down
inside the housing....a loud "Oh, Sh--!!" was heard close by. The router
seems to run okay but I believe the screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg

Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the black
plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.

Larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Norman D. Crow

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message
I have been storing my PC 75182 router in the extension table of my Unisaw.
I have been using the one bit off and on for several months now. Today I
needed to change the bit so I removed the router and saw all this stuff
down inside the housing....a loud "Oh, Sh--!!" was heard close by. The
router seems to run okay but I believe the screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg

Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the black
plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.

Look like fan blades to me! Just how DID that screw get in there?
Hhhhmmmmmm?

--
Nahmie

Morris Dovey

Lawrence L'Hote (in eYRCe.164217$_o.132864@attbi_s71) said:

| The router seems to run okay but I believe the
| screw tore up the cooling fan. http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg
|
| Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the
| black plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.

Does sorta look like the remains of a cooling fan, doesn't it? That'd
be my first guess.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Bruce

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:48:58 -0600, Lawrence L'Hote wrote
(in article eYRCe.164217$_o.132864@attbi_s71):

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg

Sorry I can't answer you directly Larry, But I have one if the Craftsman
routers with the self adjusting depth feature that had its cooling fins let
go.
At first the thing had a very noticible vibration along with a distinct
harmonic in the usually motor noise. The rest of the fins then let loose and
now the thing runs very smooth and _quiet_ (yes!). It did this all on its
own, no external tools required.

Anyhoo, did that screw fall into your router? The plastic bits seem a tad
too curved and large to be fan parts but ya just can't tell these days.

How are the vibrations? I'm sure you'd feel a distinct change with that much
mass removed from the rotating bits...

-Bruce

BobS

Larry,

The on-line manual for that fan is item 1B Part #875931 but it "looks" to be
a stamped metal fan. But seeing as how there are no other fans listed in the
parts breakdown - that must be it. Shouldn't be difficult at all to replace
it and depending on how many hours are on it, you may want to replace the
brushes also.

http://www.portercable . com and search on PC7518 (that will get you the
model PC75182).

Bob S.

L'Hote" wrote in message

I have been storing my PC 75182 router in the extension table of my Unisaw.
I have been using the one bit off and on for several months now. Today I
needed to change the bit so I removed the router and saw all this stuff
down inside the housing....a loud "Oh, Sh--!!" was heard close by. The
router seems to run okay but I believe the screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg

Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the black
plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.

Larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Lawrence L'Hote

"Bruce" wrote in message
Anyhoo, did that screw fall into your router? The plastic bits seem a tad
too curved and large to be fan parts but ya just can't tell these days.

Yes that deck screw was found inside the router along with the plastic
pieces plus several pieces of wood. I was able to just dump the stuff out.
With the router mounted in the table, anything falling through the bit hole
could end up inside the router.....

How are the vibrations? I'm sure you'd feel a distinct change with that
much
mass removed from the rotating bits...

I can't be sure just when the screw fell in and trashed the fins....with my
ear muffs on I didn't really notice anything. No real vibration etc.

Larry

Lawrence L'Hote

"BobS" wrote in message
Larry,

The on-line manual for that fan is item 1B Part #875931 but it "looks" to
be a stamped metal fan. But seeing as how there are no other fans listed
in the parts breakdown - that must be it. Shouldn't be difficult at all
to replace it and depending on how many hours are on it, you may want to
replace the brushes also.

http://www.portercable . com and search on PC7518 (that will get you the
model PC75182).

Thanks Bob...when I get a little time I'll dig out my owners manual and pull
the router apart. I'll order that part 1B shortly. The router has less than
10 hours on it I estimate.

Larry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message
I have been storing my PC 75182 router in the extension table of my Unisaw.
I have been using the one bit off and on for several months now. Today I
needed to change the bit so I removed the router and saw all this stuff
down inside the housing....a loud "Oh, Sh--!!" was heard close by. The
router seems to run okay but I believe the screw tore up the cooling fan.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/doh.jpg

Maybe one of you out there in ww land can tell me if, indeed, the black
plastic things were once part of the router's cooling system.

Larry

Could they be the end of a Shop Vac hose? My router broke off some of mine
when I got it too close to the bit. They look a bit large for the cooling
fan for something the size of a router.

Lawrence L'Hote

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

Could they be the end of a Shop Vac hose? My router broke off some of
mine when I got it too close to the bit. They look a bit large for the
cooling fan for something the size of a router.

I have ,since posting that picture , shaken 3 more plastic fins out of the
housing. There is still something else inside there that sounds like
another piece of plastic when the router starts up. I was asking if
someone, with the same router, could look down into the bit end of the
housing and see if they could see a black plastic fan in there. I'll go by
the Home Depot today and take a look at one of their display routers.

Larry

Lobby Dosser

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

Could they be the end of a Shop Vac hose? My router broke off some
of mine when I got it too close to the bit. They look a bit large
for the cooling fan for something the size of a router.

I have ,since posting that picture , shaken 3 more plastic fins out of
the housing. There is still something else inside there that sounds
like another piece of plastic when the router starts up. I was asking
if someone, with the same router, could look down into the bit end of
the housing and see if they could see a black plastic fan in there.
I'll go by the Home Depot today and take a look at one of their
display routers.

Larry

You sure it's a router and not a Buick 8?

Swingman

"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote in message

if
someone, with the same router, could look down into the bit end of the
housing and see if they could see a black plastic fan in there.

There is ... no doubt about it. Hard to tell if it is plastic, but it is
definitely a multi-finned cooling fan.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05