Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very OT - Waddle

People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly larger
ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards below the
knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless legs. Gives a
waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the thighs rubbing. Some
men as well.
Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the nusrse
would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of
something serious.
I reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical
conditions due to knee wear.
From a mechanical perspective a straight leg is going to be the strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/17 11:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly larger
ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards below the
knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless legs. Gives a
waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the thighs rubbing. Some
men as well.
Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the nusrse
would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of
something serious.
I reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical
conditions due to knee wear.
From a mechanical perspective a straight leg is going to be the strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?

ALL the islamic *women* I have ever seen walk with their toes out.

Straight toes is very much a nordic thing.

Arabs dont ski...

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 22/10/17 11:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly
larger ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards
below the knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless
legs. Gives a waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the
thighs rubbing. Some men as well. Got talking to the wife and we
remembered that at the schools the nusrse would see us once a year and
our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of something serious. I
reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical
conditions due to knee wear. From a mechanical perspective a straight
leg is going to be the strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?

ALL the islamic *women* I have ever seen walk with their toes out.

Straight toes is very much a nordic thing.

Arabs dont ski...

not much snow in Arabia

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
ALL the islamic *women* I have ever seen walk with their toes out.

Like a duck?

Straight toes is very much a nordic thing.

I have noticed that, I wonder why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you mean fat *******s?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 11:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly larger
ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards below the
knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless legs. Gives a
waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the thighs rubbing. Some
men as well.
Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the nusrse
would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of
something serious.

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical
conditions due to knee wear.
From a mechanical perspective a straight leg is going to be the strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant said
that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

I have been told that it is because I have flat feet, which has meant 50
years of my weight being at the wrong angle through my knees.

Maybe if it was spotted earlier and they'd given me the shaped insoles
that I have now, the damage could have been prevented.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote in
news
On 22/10/2017 11:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly
larger ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards
below the knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless
legs. Gives a waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the
thighs rubbing. Some men as well.
Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the
nusrse would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps
as a sign of something serious.

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical
conditions due to knee wear.
From a mechanical perspective a straight leg is going to be the
strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant
said that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

I have been told that it is because I have flat feet, which has meant
50 years of my weight being at the wrong angle through my knees.

Maybe if it was spotted earlier and they'd given me the shaped insoles
that I have now, the damage could have been prevented.

SteveW

I wonder what reaction parents would get it they take their child to a
doctor about the gait?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote :
Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the nusrse
would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of
something serious.

Might that have been a check for rickets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

There is in Dubai. Shudder to think what the carbon
footprint is though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:52:04 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant said
that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

If you were at school in the early 70's you are far younger than my wife
who has had both knees replaced. I think you need to check that out again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote in
o.uk:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:52:04 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant
said that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

If you were at school in the early 70's you are far younger than my
wife who has had both knees replaced. I think you need to check that
out again.

I was referring to the 50's and 60's
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:48:57 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Mark Allread wrote in
o.uk:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:52:04 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant
said that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

If you were at school in the early 70's you are far younger than my
wife who has had both knees replaced. I think you need to check that
out again.

I was referring to the 50's and 60's

Eh?

Is 'DerbyBorn' also 'Steve Walker'?

Anyway if you started school in the 1950's you are *still* younger than
my wife who started school in the 1940's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2017 16:54, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:48:57 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Mark Allread wrote in
o.uk:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:52:04 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant
said that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

If you were at school in the early 70's you are far younger than my
wife who has had both knees replaced. I think you need to check that
out again.

I was referring to the 50's and 60's

Eh?

Is 'DerbyBorn' also 'Steve Walker'?

No, it looks like DerbyBorn has replied to the "If you were at school in
the 70's" bit rather than the full question.

Anyway if you started school in the 1950's you are *still* younger than
my wife who started school in the 1940's.

I am 50 and it is being younger that is the problem. They don't want to
replace them because they (assuming a normal lifespan) would likely need
replacing again when the replacements wore out. They don't want to do
too many replacements as there are risks associated each time.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:46:49 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Ahh yes, I see what you mean. I'm looking at things from the other side
of the age divide