Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Noisy plumbing

I came across two toilets today, both of which were making a lot of noise.

On one, when the cistern refilled there was a noise from the nearby hidden pipes that was probably so bad it could be heard throughout the house and next door! I altered the setting of the isolation valve near the cistern and the noise went away.

I tried the same on the other one and it made no difference. Not such a bad noise, I think the problem is in the ballcock area. I've attached a photo below, do these have washers that can be replaced?

Sorry for the ridiculously long link!:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Uu...=w1632-h918-no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 October 2017 20:04:16 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I came across two toilets today, both of which were making a lot of noise.

On one, when the cistern refilled there was a noise from the nearby hidden pipes that was probably so bad it could be heard throughout the house and next door! I altered the setting of the isolation valve near the cistern and the noise went away.

I tried the same on the other one and it made no difference. Not such a bad noise, I think the problem is in the ballcock area. I've attached a photo below, do these have washers that can be replaced?

yes that's usually the solution. Turning flow rate down often works, but a bad washer only gets worse. Take a photo of the washer with you.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 20:04, Murmansk wrote:
I came across two toilets today, both of which were making a lot of noise.

On one, when the cistern refilled there was a noise from the nearby hidden pipes that was probably so bad it could be heard throughout the house and next door! I altered the setting of the isolation valve near the cistern and the noise went away.

I tried the same on the other one and it made no difference. Not such a bad noise, I think the problem is in the ballcock area. I've attached a photo below, do these have washers that can be replaced?

Sorry for the ridiculously long link!:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Uu...=w1632-h918-no

Link requires a login!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I came across two toilets today, both of which were making a lot of noise.

On one, when the cistern refilled there was a noise from the nearby hidden pipes that was probably so bad it could be heard throughout the house and next door! I altered the setting of the isolation valve near the cistern and the noise went away.

I tried the same on the other one and it made no difference. Not such a bad noise, I think the problem is in the ballcock area. I've attached a photo below, do these have washers that can be replaced?

Sorry for the ridiculously long link!:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Uu...=w1632-h918-no

That does not work for me, try tinyurl.