Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chemicalising an unvented system

Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a washing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are under the rads, so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system that way, and couldn't find a funnel that fits.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question
is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a
washing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was
originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are
under the rads, so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system
that way, and couldn't find a funnel that fits.

NT

I use a bit of vinyl hose going into the hole left by removing one of
the air vents in the highest top floor radiator (having drained the
system just to the point there is a litre or so of air in that
radiator). It is probably just over 12mm (?3/8" BSP) but other
radiators may have a 1/2" BSP hole which hose pipe would go into.
Funnels are cheap enough on ebay to make it not worth making up leaky
adaptors to washing up liquid bottle, but the latter is a possibility.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 00:17:33 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/10/2017 22:47, tabbypurr wrote:

Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow.
Question is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far
is to use a washing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a
radiator. I was originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but
the drain points are under the rads, so the hose isn't going to fully
empty into the system that way, and couldn't find a funnel that
fits.

Yup, you can take wither the bleed valve or the blanking plug out the
top of a rad (having shut off its valves, and drained a litre of water
out of it).

Of if there is a magnaclean or TF1 style filter, they can be isolated,
drained, and then refilled with inhibitor.

Lastly you can also get aerosol cans of inhibitor with a hose and
connector that lets you connect to the filling loop. They then force the
inhibitor into the filling loop under pressure.

The system will need to be drained down as we don't know which inhibitor is in there now, and I gather incompatibility can occur. I'll try the washing liquid bottle or a bit of hose & funnel. Don't really want to go & buy a 2nd lot of inhibitor, and the magnaclean is too small to get the lot in.

Cheers

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question
is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a
washing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was
originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are
under the rads, so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system
that way, and couldn't find a funnel that fits.

Last time I looked you can buy concentrated stuff in an applicatior. Which
as you said goes in a rad. Saves having to drain down so much to use
normal strength inhibitor.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2017 00:41, wrote:
[...]

My TF1 will take 0.5L at a time. So I simply isolate and drain it, then
refill with inhibitor. The run the system again for a minute, and do it
again.

However if you are draining down completely, then just lob it in a rad.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 October 2017 22:47:34 UTC+1, wrote:
Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a washing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are under the rads, so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system that way, and couldn't find a funnel that fits.

NT

You can buy concentrate in a cartridge that goes in a silicon gunge applicator "gun".
It connects to a rad vent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Screwfix sold a cleaner, inhibitor and applicator under their "No Nonsence" brand. Seems to be rebranded Flomasta. Filling is done through a radiator by either removing a blanking plug or the venting plug.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...tr-3-pcs/1349j
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 17:13:37 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Screwfix sold a cleaner, inhibitor and applicator under their "No Nonsence" brand. Seems to be rebranded Flomasta. Filling is done through a radiator by either removing a blanking plug or the venting plug.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...tr-3-pcs/1349j

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Corrosion_Inhibitor

NT