Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keys in both sides of a lock?

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:08:09 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Are all locks designed this badly?* I just had to break into my
neighbour's house because he'd left a key on the inside of the lock,
which prevented him from using a key on te outside of the lock.* Can't
they be made so the keys don't reach each other?* It must be seperate
barrels, or the key being the other way round wouldn't work unless it
was symmetrical.* There was only about 3mm in it!

If you are talking about Euro locks, the default is that you can't
insert a key when there is one on the other side.

You can buy ones where you are specifically able to.

I am not certain, but I have a feeling that I have seen ones where a
second key can push the 1st key out from one side, but not from the other.

SteveW

All of the Euro cylinders that I've had and also fitted for other people
have been very simple: the 2 keys are too long to be in together (this
wouldn't be so in longer locks, but I've never used those). If a key is in
and slighly turned there isn't room for the other key; if the key is not
turned, the other key can push it through a bit.

I suppose that long locks would need a mechanism to stop entry when not
desired ;-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 12:06:01 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's blather

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) abnormal sociopathic
world:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 09:20:24 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

[...]

Surely that method is.... the burglar doesn't have the key? Having an
extra "mechanism" to stop entry is admitting the lock is pickable.

All affordable locks are pickable. Its about making them harder to pick
by making it easy to avoid them being picked when you are inside etc.