Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WD-40 anecdote

wrote in message
news
On 01/10/2017 13:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:02:01 +0100, newshound wrote:

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Wonder why ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
On 30/09/2017 19:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I still have my dads H Samuel wrist watch. It must be well over 80
years old. It still works.
He used take it for cleaning and told me that the watch guy used to
suspend it over a tub of meths and that is what cleaned it.
I've always had doubts about this.

I've heard that a smear of paraffin inside the back of a watch will
keep the oil in the bearings mobile.

Just dug the watch out.
Climax.
H Samuel.
Manchester.
It still works and probably still will do when I'm dead and burnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2017 19:40, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
news
On 01/10/2017 13:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:02:01 +0100, newshound wrote:

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Wonder why ?

Good question. GIYF and says that it used to be made from a natural sap
(a bit like latex) but is now, effectively, something not unlike
synthetic rubber.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/whats-chewing-gum-made

So my guess is that the mineral oil in WD40 binds to all the exposed
surface of the gum and makes it hydrophobic, so that it no longer wants
to stick to protein.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
news
On 01/10/2017 13:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:02:01 +0100, newshound wrote:

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Wonder why ?

Good question. GIYF and says that it used to be made from a natural sap
(a bit like latex) but is now, effectively, something not unlike
synthetic rubber.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/whats-chewing-gum-made

So my guess is that the mineral oil in WD40 binds to all the exposed
surface of the gum and makes it hydrophobic, so that it no longer wants
to stick to protein.

I thoiught it was a fish oil originbally?

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
news On 01/10/2017 13:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:02:01 +0100, newshound wrote:

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Wonder why ?

Good question. GIYF and says that it used to be made from a natural
sap (a bit like latex) but is now, effectively, something not unlike
synthetic rubber.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/whats-chewing-gum-made

So my guess is that the mineral oil in WD40 binds to all the exposed
surface of the gum and makes it hydrophobic, so that it no longer
wants to stick to protein.

I thoiught it was a fish oil originbally?

Urban myth

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fa...-fish-oil.html

Sperm oil was an important lubricant in the first half of the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_oil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2017 23:29, newshound wrote:

I thoiught it was a fish oil originbally?

Urban myth

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fa...-fish-oil.html

Sperm oil was an important lubricant in the first half of the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_oil

ps this article states that sperm oil is an important "aerospace"
lubricant, but the reference given does not support this, and I am
pretty confident that the claim is rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
news
On 01/10/2017 13:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:02:01 +0100, newshound wrote:

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

Knew it had to be good for *something*.

It's really good for getting chewing gum out of a toddler's hair...

Wonder why ?

Good question. GIYF and says that it used to be made from a natural sap (a
bit like latex) but is now, effectively, something not unlike synthetic
rubber.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/whats-chewing-gum-made

So my guess is that the mineral oil in WD40 binds to all the exposed
surface of the gum and makes it hydrophobic, so that it no longer wants to
stick to protein.

Yeah, sounds plausible. Unfortunately while I have some WD40 and sewing
machine oil handy, dont have any chewing gum at all to experiment with.

No toddlers handy either, tho presumably its just as true of any hair and
I do still have a little of that left on the sides and back of the head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2017 15:27, Steve Walker wrote:
On 02/10/2017 07:32, Halmyre wrote:
On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 6:40:18 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 30 September 2017 19:38:13 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
GB wrote:
On 30/09/2017 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
newshound wrote:
Posted without comment, but this came from a fellow tribologist from
the sort of family that would be expected to have very good long
case clocks as heirlooms.

"We inherited an old grandfather clock from my parents-in-law, which
had been kept going by a local retired engineer who was a clock
enthusiast. He offered to come and set it up after we had installed
it where desired. Ah! I thought, now I shall see an expert at
work. So he arrives, takes off the hood to expose the mechanism,
checks the weights and their cables and then gets out the biggest
can of
WD40 I
have ever seen and sprays the entire works for about ten seconds!
And that was it. It is still going some ten years later, unlike the
ancient engineer who has recently died.

I am looking at WD40 in a new light!"

I have a 50 year old cuckoo clock that would stop working after
about 3 months. I blasted it with WD40 (you are not supposed to do
that) and it worked for 3 months.
I then blasted it with meths, it worked for 3 months.
I was considering taking it apart, soaking it meths and buying clock
oil - but it was not an expensive clock I suspected wear and tear.
Finally I soaked it with 3 in one oil (you are not supposed to do
that). 12 months later it is still going.

My friend's mother greased the sun roof of her car with butter. She
was terribly proud of having got the better of her garage, who had
wanted to charge her for this. It worked very well, but it was a bit
whiffy. Olive oil would have been a better choice.

I still have my dads H Samuel wrist watch. It must be well over 80
years
old. It still works.
He used take it for cleaning and told me that the watch guy used to
suspend
it over a tub of meths and that is what cleaned it.
I've always had doubts about this.

I have seen watch mechanisms cleaned by putting them in a little
revolving cage immersed in three different liquids.
Then each bearing lubricated afterwards.

I've heard nasal sebum is the lubricant of choice for watch repairers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_sebum

Yes and also from sharks. Presumably the basis of squalene/squalus.

The bit about foam on drinks turned my stomach.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud