Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alarm question - PIRs, window contacts or optical boundary?

When I re-furb'ed my last house I fitted window switches to all
accessible windows and external doors, so didn't need to bother with
PIRs. The current house already has a "professionally installed" alarm
with PIRs and door contacts, but no window contacts.
I was going to replace the PIRs with (a large quantity of) window
switches but am having second thoughts because of the unsightly wiring.

SWMBO is concerned about staying with the PIRs because, if we set the
downstairs ones at night, of what happens if someone goes down for a
drink or a wander around in the night. How does everyone else cope with
this?

I'm wondering whether it's viable to set-up an external boundary around
the house using infra red or laser beams/detectors (above animal
height). Has anyone used this technique?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 14:57, wrote:
When I re-furb'ed my last house I fitted window switches to all
accessible windows and external doors, so didn't need to bother with
PIRs. The current house already has a "professionally installed" alarm
with PIRs and door contacts, but no window contacts.
I was going to replace the PIRs with (a large quantity of) window
switches but am having second thoughts because of the unsightly wiring.

SWMBO is concerned about staying with the PIRs because, if we set the
downstairs ones at night, of what happens if someone goes down for a
drink or a wander around in the night. How does everyone else cope with
this?

I'm wondering whether it's viable to set-up an external boundary around
the house using infra red or laser beams/detectors (above animal
height). Has anyone used this technique?

Personally I'd forget window contacts. They do false alarm if there's a
gust of wind or a bird hits one. The actual units (Vipers etc) are prone
to damp. The wiring is very labour intensive unless it's done at first
fix stage in a new building. It is possible to make it invisible but
it's hard work.

PIRs are generally OK as long as they are wired (not wireless) and are
dual tech (microwave as well as IR).

I have external beams to protect the parking area. They're pretty good
for that purpose, but not for protecting the house when you aren't there
because of perfectly innocent callers (unless they send a silent alarm
to your phone and/or run the CCTV). The type with two independent
parallel beams are best.

With all alarms remember that one false alarm means that everyone within
earshot will ignore your alarm for the next ten years.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 15:10, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/09/2017 14:57, wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of using sealed reed switches (which is what I used in
the previous house) - how do they get affected by damp?

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof" so I need to
either replace them or change to switches. The problem is still what
happens when people wander about in the night when the alarm is set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
When I re-furb'ed my last house I fitted window switches to all
accessible windows and external doors, so didn't need to bother with
PIRs. The current house already has a "professionally installed"
alarm with PIRs and door contacts, but no window contacts.
I was going to replace the PIRs with (a large quantity of) window
switches but am having second thoughts because of the unsightly wiring.

It is a lot of work for not much gain. Burglars tend to go for empty
houses anyway and the PIR trigger will go off soon enough to deter them.
My dad had external perimeter reed switches fairly neatly done but it
was a lot of work and wiring to be hidden. I just have window locks.

[...]

They don't but they do sometimes end up stuck closed so that they don't
actually trigger by opening when they should. The panic alarm button on
my system is a magnet and reed switch and failed this way.

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof" so I need to
either replace them or change to switches. The problem is still what
happens when people wander about in the night when the alarm is set.

You mask out all the zones that you are likely to walk through for the
night setting (and/or remember to switch it off when you get up).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 16:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about fog?
Brian

Good point (snow too) but the problem can be minimised by choice of
power (I'm aware of the laser regs) and distance, and the gate passage
detectors seem to work OK in practice.
There's an interesting article he
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/~hranilov.../spie2000b.pdf,
although it's only slightly relevant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-27, wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof"

None of them are.

Some claim to only respond to the thermal image of an object over 30kg -
that's a pretty large dog or moggy!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

nomail wrote:

Some claim to only respond to the thermal image of an object over 30kg -
that's a pretty large dog or moggy!

We have one of those in the garage.
A bat set it off. We had it "adjusted". A bat set it off.

Bats have the ability to get closer to the PIR than a dog down on the
ground, presumably they're quite warm when not roosting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Huge wrote:

nomail wrote:

Some claim to only respond to the thermal image of an object over 30kg -
that's a pretty large dog or moggy!

We have one of those in the garage.
A bat set it off. We had it "adjusted". A bat set it off.

Bats have the ability to get closer to the PIR than a dog down on the
ground, presumably they're quite warm when not roosting?

Bats tend to fly up into corners of rooms (looking for something
they can grab hold of), and that's exactly where PIR's are often
mounted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bats tend to fly up into corners of rooms (looking for something
they can grab hold of), and that's exactly where PIR's are often
mounted.

Maybe there's circuitry within the sensor (assuming it's not actually a
combined PIR/ultrasonic one) which happens to oscillate in the bat's
hearing range that they find "interesting" ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 27/09/2017 14:57, wrote:
[...]

We dont do that with the neighbours alarms. We still turn out do check
if its a false alarm or not, but its only me that does that at 2am etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 14:57:50 UTC+1, wrote:

When I re-furb'ed my last house I fitted window switches to all
accessible windows and external doors, so didn't need to bother with
PIRs. The current house already has a "professionally installed" alarm
with PIRs and door contacts, but no window contacts.
I was going to replace the PIRs with (a large quantity of) window
switches but am having second thoughts because of the unsightly wiring.

SWMBO is concerned about staying with the PIRs because, if we set the
downstairs ones at night, of what happens if someone goes down for a
drink or a wander around in the night. How does everyone else cope with
this?

I'm wondering whether it's viable to set-up an external boundary around
the house using infra red or laser beams/detectors (above animal
height). Has anyone used this technique?

Window switches: Enamelled copper wire can be disappeared in a superficial scratch in plaster. Make sure to fit them to part of the frame where distortion & wind can't trigger them. Check the current is in range for the reed relay, they tend to fail if it's too high or too low. They don't of course detect broken glass. You can get glass break detectors too.

PIR: they will sense you if you go there. Full stop.

Beam break: used that long ago, very effective. Can sometimes be placed where you won't walk at night, and where any door shutting will trigger it. Make sure the detector & mirror can't ever slip out of alignment or it'll trigger.

Personally I'd want to treat one detection event as a minor warning, and 2 as a person present rather than 1.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-27, wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof"

None of them are.

It isn't possible.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-27, wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof"

None of them are.

It isn't possible.

It is actually tho it wont register the baby on the floor either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 22:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bats tend to fly up into corners of rooms (looking for something
they can grab hold of), and that's exactly where PIR's are often
mounted.

Maybe there's circuitry within the sensor (assuming it's not actually a
combined PIR/ultrasonic one) which happens to oscillate in the bat's
hearing range that they find "interesting" ...

I think it is more that the bat explores all the available space in the
room looking for a way out. If they ever end up on the floor then they
can find it impossible to climb up again on painted skirting boards.

In the wild they would climb the nearest rough piece of wood.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 23:42, wrote:
[...]

I'd forgotten about enamelled wire - thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-27, wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof"

None of them are.

It isn't possible.

Bill

Honeywell seem to think it is:
https://www.security.honeywell.com/u...se/868366.html
.... selectable up to 36kg. Another manufacturer says 30kg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bats tend to fly up into corners of rooms (looking for something
they can grab hold of), and that's exactly where PIR's are often
mounted.

Maybe there's circuitry within the sensor (assuming it's not actually a
combined PIR/ultrasonic one) which happens to oscillate in the bat's
hearing range that they find "interesting" ...

I think it is more that the bat explores all the available space in the
room looking for a way out. If they ever end up on the floor then they
can find it impossible to climb up again on painted skirting boards.

In the wild they would climb the nearest rough piece of wood.

Many years ago in a previous house, I woke up in the middle of
the night. Not sure what woke me, but there was enough residual
light in the room for me to make out several things dive-bombing
me in bed. Turned the light on, and they were bats, repeatedly
swooping down in the middle of the room as they flew between
opposite corners of the room, trying but failing to find
something they could grab hold of in the corners near ceiling
level. I was thinking if I sit up, I'm going to get hit, but
then I thought they have good echo location for that, and sure
enough they went around me.

Wasn't much I could do to catch them, but they eventaully ran
out of energy and dropped to the floor. Hadn't occured to me
they can't take off from the floor, but I lifted the outside
at that point and put them in a tree.

They had come in where some large holes were left in the ceiling
through to the loft the previous day. I fixed up the holes
next day. I was often in that loft and it was all nice and clean
with new insulation, and I never saw any sign of them in the
loft, but presumably they were there somewhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Personally I'd forget window contacts. They do false alarm if there's a
gust of wind or a bird hits one.

Eh? If you're talking reed switches you'd need a pretty terrible fitting
window before wind would break the circuit. And if things like that are
flapping around in the wind, a PIR might well trigger too.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 September 2017 22:01:28 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
On 2017-09-27,
wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

The existing PIRs are wired, but aren't "animal proof"

None of them are.

It isn't possible.

Bill
Honeywell seem to think it is:

They're wrong.

"Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?", to quote a Monty
Python sketch ;-)
Thanks for your opinion, but I'm happy to assume that Honeywell and
other manufacturers know their products and would not make claims that
could be easily demonstrated to be false, if they were.

now that's amusing

Not with a claim thats so trivial to prove as that one.

If their PIRs cant distinguish between pets and humans
of more than crawling baby size, there would be hordes
sayin that on amazon alone, and there arent.

QED, their PIRs will do what they say.

Promotional claims usually feature a list of conditions, which often don't fit typical use, often use weasel words and phrases like 'upto' or 'in tests' which the mfr designed specifically to avoid the issues etc. Fools take such claims at face value.

Re PIRs specifically, it's not possible to design a PIR detector that won't detect a bat landing on it. Yes you can tell the difference between a cat and a human at say 5 yards, but when the human is 15 yards away and the cat 1 yard, it can't. It's basic physics.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-27,
wrote:

[40 lines snipped]

[...]

Yes, and those often say that you can dial up the weight
of the animal above which it will register the detection of.

which often don't fit typical use,

These clearly do.

often use weasel words and phrases like 'upto'

Nothing weasel about that in this case.

or 'in tests' which the mfr designed specifically to avoid
the issues etc. Fools take such claims at face value.

And those who get one of those animal insensitive PIRs
which allow you to specify the weight of the animal, who
find that the description turns out to be a lie and who have
bought one on amazon are free to say its a lie and will do.

Re PIRs specifically, it's not possible to design a
PIR detector that won't detect a bat landing on it.
Yes you can tell the difference between a cat and
a human at say 5 yards, but when the human
is 15 yards away and the cat 1 yard, it can't.

BULL****.

It's basic physics.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the dual mode PIRs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 September 2017 04:12:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

Re PIRs specifically, it's not possible to design a
PIR detector that won't detect a bat landing on it.
Yes you can tell the difference between a cat and
a human at say 5 yards, but when the human
is 15 yards away and the cat 1 yard, it can't.

BULL****.

It's basic physics.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the dual mode PIRs.

with respect I was discussing PIRs not dual technology detectors
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Personally I'd forget window contacts. They do false alarm if there's a
gust of wind or a bird hits one.

Eh? If you're talking reed switches you'd need a pretty terrible fitting
window before wind would break the circuit. And if things like that are
flapping around in the wind, a PIR might well trigger too.

Course I'm not talking about simple reed switches. I'm talking about
break glass detectors.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote in message

Re PIRs specifically, it's not possible to design a
PIR detector that won't detect a bat landing on it.
Yes you can tell the difference between a cat and
a human at say 5 yards, but when the human
is 15 yards away and the cat 1 yard, it can't.

BULL****.

It's basic physics.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the dual mode PIRs.

with respect I was discussing PIRs not dual technology detectors

The Honeywell PIRs being discussed that allow you to dial in the weight
of the pet that they will ignore are in fact dual technology detectors.