Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default N/C alarm door contacts

Do such things exist?

I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite to the
normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a wireless
doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the wireless door bell
will ring when the gate is opened.

The second best option is a microswitch attatched to the gate. Any other
ideas are more than welcome apart from laying cables.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 15:15, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Do such things exist?

I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite to the
normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a wireless
doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the wireless door bell
will ring when the gate is opened.

The second best option is a microswitch attatched to the gate. Any other
ideas are more than welcome apart from laying cables.

Adam

changeover reed switch maybe?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Do such things exist?

I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite to
the normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a wireless
doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the wireless door bell
will ring when the gate is opened.

The second best option is a microswitch attatched to the gate. Any other
ideas are more than welcome apart from laying cables.

Adam

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FM142.html

along with http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VED403.html

The bell push is relatively easy to open and I have successfully used alarm
cable to pickup the contacts so that the bell push operates, in my case,
when a relay pulses. However you will need to ensure that the gate closes
and operates the switch properly or the button cell won't last any time at
all - not sure how you would waterproof the switch though!

On second thoughts - can the reed relay (surface mounted alarm door contact)
be mounted such that it is pulsed as the magnet passes it as the gate is
opened, however it will also pulse as the gate closes!!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2010 15:15:36 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Do such things exist?

You can certainly get reeds with change over contacts.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article yk9Mn.4784$8g7.3946@hurricane,
ARWadsworth wrote:
I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite to
the normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a
wireless doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the
wireless door bell will ring when the gate is opened.

Most of the magnetic ones have a reed switch which is a changeover type.
Limited current handling, though.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite to
the normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a
wireless doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the
wireless door bell will ring when the gate is opened.

Most of the magnetic ones have a reed switch which is a changeover type.
Limited current handling, though.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman

I have not seen one with the chaneover contacts. Or certainly not one with
available terminals.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

[...]

Assuming that I can waterproof the switch, have you any ideas on how to get
a 3V supply from 12V supply. There is an alarm panel near to the gate post.
I could power the wireless door push with the 12V from the alarm. The alarm
is for an out building and not where I want to locate the wireless receiver.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite
to the normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a
wireless doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the
wireless door bell will ring when the gate is opened.

Most of the magnetic ones have a reed switch which is a changeover
type. Limited current handling, though.

I have not seen one with the chaneover contacts. Or certainly not one
with available terminals.

It's quite some time since I've bought any but will look at my spares.
However, it would be trivial to change the actual reed switch for a
changeover type - Maplin might be the cheapest for a one off.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12389

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I would like a surface mounted alarm door contact that works opposite
to the normal alarm door contacts. I would like to connect one to a
wireless doorbell bell push and attatch it to a gate so that the
wireless door bell will ring when the gate is opened.

Most of the magnetic ones have a reed switch which is a changeover
type. Limited current handling, though.

I have not seen one with the chaneover contacts. Or certainly not one
with available terminals.

It's quite some time since I've bought any but will look at my spares.
However, it would be trivial to change the actual reed switch for a
changeover type - Maplin might be the cheapest for a one off.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12389

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW

I see what you mean. And it will easy enought to make it water tight with
resin.

Thanks

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article bTOMn.22043$9A2.13679@hurricane,
ARWadsworth wrote:
It's quite some time since I've bought any but will look at my spares.
However, it would be trivial to change the actual reed switch for a
changeover type - Maplin might be the cheapest for a one off.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12389

I see what you mean. And it will easy enought to make it water tight
with resin.

The actual reed relay is sealed so it's only the connections you need to
worry about.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Alarm door contact on beveled UPVC AlanC UK diy 14 October 8th 19 06:44 PM
Freezer door alarm Mike Barnes UK diy 22 April 14th 09 12:00 PM
Sticking an alarm door contact magnet to a UPVC door ARWadworth UK diy 8 May 18th 08 05:12 PM
Garage door open alarm Frank Warner Home Repair 15 June 7th 06 12:59 AM
How to wire alarm window/door sensors mariomp Home Repair 2 April 6th 05 04:07 PM