Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default unFIT solar

solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns formulated on Tuesday :
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40' container, and
their aerial photo shows five, so that's about right.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why is it called a farm?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know. Until we have
efficient storage and a similarly efficient way to distribute the power then
renewable are not really viable except possibly to the local community in
hard to get at places.

I way thinking the other day about the current trend toward wireless
charging of devices.This surely has to be very inefficient compared to a
connection? its going to be inductive and even if the hz is raised to make
it more efficient that has got to have losses.
All so we do not have a plug in psu??

I notice you can now get sofas with built in USB ports so the next step is
obviously wireless charging arms.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Andy Burns formulated on Tuesday :
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know.

That's their problem, not ours. They only get paid for the electricity
that people want when it's sunny, or they've stored and can push through
an inverter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

The 6MW might be the total power rating of their inverters, fed from an
undisclosed amount of MWh of batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

AISB, these "providers" should be expected to provide a constant level
of output 24 x 7. The level, that is, that they boast about.

Perhaps a constant output isn't best, how about having their output
match the envelope of the daily demand curve (as shown by gridwatch)?
Then we're not paying Peter over the odds to fill the gaps in Paul's output?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 21:49:11 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns formulated on Tuesday :
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

True. Plus the statement.
"10MW renewable energy generated."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 08:53:30 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know.

That's their problem, not ours. They only get paid for the electricity
that people want when it's sunny, or they've stored and can push through
an inverter.

It means they don't know WTF they're talking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 08:24:19 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Why is it called a farm?
Brian

--
----- -

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

It runs on sunlight?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:24:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Why is it called a farm?

'Cos they harvest sunlight!

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:31:42 +0000 (UTC), The Other John
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:24:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Why is it called a farm?

'Cos they harvest sunlight!

Thinking about it Farm has been applied to a few things ,
Sewage Farm was a popular term for what is now more likely to be
called a treatment works , I suppose as you can get fertilizer ,gas
out of sewage you are harvesting it.
But what about those old now rare aerial/ antenna arrangements like
Rugby and Rampisham etc . They were often called aerial farms.
What was being harvested there?

Are there any large ones left now?
Rampisham was finally cleared last month apart from one tower to be
left as a very large bird nest support.
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/154...dio_towers___/

Partly as a result of the Solar farm project on the site not going
ahead to return to the topic.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

It runs on sunlight?

Or to put it another way, it harvests electricity.

--
Bod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Why is it called a farm?

Because they breed them there, silly.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know. Until we have
efficient storage and a similarly efficient way to distribute the power
then renewable are not really viable except possibly to the local
community in hard to get at places.

Not just hard to get at places, but also those where
it costs a lot to have mains power connected.

I way thinking the other day about the current trend toward wireless
charging of devices. This surely has to be very inefficient compared to a
connection?

Sure, but the power levels involved arent huge, so
it can be worth doing that way for convenience.

For example, there is a lot to be said for
inductively charging mobile phones where
you put the phone down overnight etc.

its going to be inductive and even if the hz is raised to make it more
efficient that has got to have losses. All so we do not have a plug in
psu??

So you don’t have to plug the phone in every night.

I notice you can now get sofas with built in USB ports so the next step is
obviously wireless charging arms.

More likely the sofa side table.

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Andy Burns formulated on Tuesday :
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know.

That's their problem, not ours. They only get paid for the electricity
that people want when it's sunny, or they've stored and can push through
an inverter.

AISB, these "providers" should be expected to provide a constant level of
output 24 x 7.

Thats mad when the demand varys significantly.

The level, that is, that they boast about. If they fall short then it
should be *their* responsibility to make up the shortfall.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 08:48, Tim Streater wrote:

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

O-level education, you mean?

I went for an eye test at the opticains and was dealt with by a young
bespectacled lady in a hajib.

Noticing a non zero on the 'cyl' part of the notes I said 'Oh, so I have
astigmatism?'

'How did you now that, are you a Trained Optician?'

'No, I replied 'O-level Physics'.

It contuinues to amaze me how much we learnt then for O levels, which
isn't even studied at degree level these days.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Efficiency of electricity storage is what we want to know. Until we have
efficient storage and a similarly efficient way to distribute the power
then renewable are not really viable except possibly to the local
community in hard to get at places.

I way thinking the other day about the current trend toward wireless
charging of devices.This surely has to be very inefficient compared to a
connection? its going to be inductive and even if the hz is raised to make
it more efficient that has got to have losses.
All so we do not have a plug in psu??

I notice you can now get sofas with built in USB ports so the next step is
obviously wireless charging arms.
Brian

I'm not so sure that inductive charging is inefficient. Difficult to do yes,
but I doubt
much energy can be wasted in free air. Any losses would be in the windings
and
magnetic materials. The method does have the advantage of not wearing out
connectors.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 08:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

Why is it called a farm?

Call it a farm and you can build it on land designated for farming or
green belt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 26 Sep 2017 22:24:55 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40' container, and
their aerial photo shows five, so that's about right.

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

It gets even more confusing being this report refers to them as 1.2MWh:
https://www.channel4.com/news/the-re...the-bill-payer

however the reporter isn't clear whether that's 1.2MWh per container or
1.2MWh total. But if it is per container it would fit the 6MWh figure.

At 1m53 the minister is going into the container, and the official
behind her says 'five at 1.2' and then is talked over by the reporter so we
miss whether the next word was 'each'.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40' container, and
their aerial photo shows five, so that's about right.

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

O-level education, you mean?

In 'media studies' or some such.

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 20:48:03 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

Well, that's a start (towards solar standing on it's own two feet).

Now we just need to be sure that it actually creates more energy and
actually saves (not creates more) pollution over it's lifetime and we
can at least make use of them during daylight hours (and mostly in the
summer, not so much in the winter when we need such energy, in the UK
especially for heating and charging our electric cars that are even
less efficient in the cold).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

Well, that's a start (towards solar standing on it's own two feet).

The more I read on this farm, the less it sounds subsidy free

It's more like a balancing power reserve (the batteries) that happens to
be re-charged (partly) from its own PV array, so presumably it's getting
a healthy rate for what it churns out, but they're not called FIT subsidies?

Where rate do battery "generators" get?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 12:44, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40' container, and
their aerial photo shows five, so that's about right.

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

O-level education, you mean?

In 'media studies' or some such.

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you
have the ability to memorise ..

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 10:21:33 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

For example, there is a lot to be said for
inductively charging mobile phones where
you put the phone down overnight etc.

But it might be better to have them charging during the day via solar power..
They are slowing getting charging to work at a distance of a few feet so you could have your phone being trickle charged all day.

its going to be inductive and even if the hz is raised to make it more
efficient that has got to have losses. All so we do not have a plug in
psu??

So you dont have to plug the phone in every night.

or at any time.

I notice you can now get sofas with built in USB ports so the next step is
obviously wireless charging arms.

More likely the sofa side table.

No from the sofa, quite easy to do a search for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 10:33:57 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 27/09/2017 08:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

Why is it called a farm?

Call it a farm and you can build it on land designated for farming or
green belt.

What about fish farms ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 20:48:07 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

At a rough calculation I estimate that 1% of the UK would need to be covered by these farms to generate enough for the 27 million households in the UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/09/17 12:44, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'...10MW of solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling
6MW.'

That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW part, unless
they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which case what is the
capacity of the storage in watt/hours?

I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40' container, and
their aerial photo shows five, so that's about right.

You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if their publicity
department doesn't have the technical savvy to use the correct units.

O-level education, you mean?

In 'media studies' or some such.

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you
have the ability to memorise ..

Do you actually need to be able to tell one picture from another, and
notice when pictures are similar or different in style? That's a bit
hard for some of us.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 13:06:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 27/09/17 12:44, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

snip

O-level education, you mean?

In 'media studies' or some such.

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you
have the ability to memorise ..

Quite, along with a lot of how we often 'judge' peoples abilities,
especially in the 'education system' these days. ;-(

Giving a positive bias to those who happen to be able to remember
stuff over those who can do stuff is a form of prejudice IMHO.

I understand in the states, ordinary blue collar workers re given much
more respect than they are over here with our pompous, elitist (and
generally bogus) viewpoint on what is actually important or valuable
(with 'celebrity' being a classic example of the worst of that).

It will be interesting to see who are begging for food and who are
able to do something 'practical' to earn their keep. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/154...for_radio_towe
rs___/

Partly as a result of the Solar farm project on the site not going ahead
to return to the topic.

G.Harman

I've always taken the 'farm' usage to refer to a significant area of
land used without buildings, or much buildings.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's more like a balancing power reserve

Why does buying low and selling high require subsidy? It's just arbitrage.

There are battery schemes within the national grid's "enhanced frequency
regulation" scheme, not found yet whether this one does, or if it's
another of their myriad balancing schemes.

Various EFR projects seems to cost between £7 and £12 per MW per hour
(odd units!)

Three other 10MW battery EFR have tendered for about 350GWh each over 4
years and come in at £2.7m, £3.9m and £4.2m contract values.

So probably that's the basis this pv+battery farm operates on, and the
less Wh it has to buy from the grid because it can get them from its own
panels, the more profitable it becomes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It contuinues to amaze me how much we learnt then for O levels, which
isn't even studied at degree level these days.

Notwithstanding that, it was noticeable when I got to Uni to do
Physics, how much harder the course content was than even A-level
Physics. Much, much harder.

Indeed!. Up to A level I was fortunate that I seemed able to
understand and remember enough without really having to try, and
got an A pass. At university, studying electrical engineering, I
rested on my laurels somewhat, and didn't devote enough time (or
effort) to the physics course, and had to resit the first year
exam.

I guess the real difference was that the university syllabus
seemed focused far more on proof of theorems, rather than
understanding of the processes.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 12:44, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

No, I dont think so.

I think you get a degree for being blonde with nice tits.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

O-level education, you mean?

In 'media studies' or some such.

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you
have the ability to memorise ..

Quite, along with a lot of how we often 'judge' peoples abilities,
especially in the 'education system' these days. ;-(

Yes we still use exam results for such things.

Giving a positive bias to those who happen to be able to remember
stuff over those who can do stuff is a form of prejudice IMHO.

So what's wrong with that ?

I understand in the states, ordinary blue collar workers re given much
more respect than they are over here with our pompous, elitist (and
generally bogus) viewpoint on what is actually important or valuable

IS that why nurses are worth half of a MP ? (salery wise)
lets see how long does it take to train each.

(with 'celebrity' being a classic example of the worst of that).

They and others just over-value them that's all.

It will be interesting to see who are begging for food and who are
able to do something 'practical' to earn their keep. ;-)

and who is the strongest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 13:30:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 20:48:07 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

At a rough calculation I estimate that 1% of the UK would need to be covered by these farms to generate enough for the 27 million households in the UK

Each household should have PV on the roof.
And commercial buildings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-09-27, Tim Streater wrote:

[21 lines snipped]

I am minded to wonder how it goes with aspiring physics students these
days, if the exams are supposed to have been dumbed down. You can't
dumb down reality, so you can't dumb down degree-level physics. Must
make it even harder when they get there.

Isn't that why some courses are now 4 years, so the Uni can spend the
first year teaching the students what they already knew when they
arrived, in years gone by?

in years goneby, our second year course in one particular subject began
with words" Since you've all got A-Level Chemistry, I'll start from there."
I had never done any chemistry, A or O. I had to learn fast!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 17:30, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 13:30:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 20:48:07 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...

http://anesco.co.uk/clayhill-uks-first-subsidy-free-solar-farm

At a rough calculation I estimate that 1% of the UK would need to be covered by these farms to generate enough for the 27 million households in the UK

Each household should have PV on the roof.
And commercial buildings.

Even if the roof faces the 'wrong' way?

They were saying that about urban windmills a few years back - that
worked well!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
wrote:
'No, I replied 'O-level Physics'.

It contuinues to amaze me how much we learnt then for O levels, which
isn't even studied at degree level these days.

Notwithstanding that, it was noticeable when I got to Uni to do
Physics, how much harder the course content was than even A-level
Physics. Much, much harder.

Did you get to get to repeat Millikans experiment? I think my group were
a bit overenthusiastic with the oil puffer and we didn't get any
worthwhile results let alone determine the electron charge.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/09/17 13:39, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/09/17 12:44, T i m wrote: On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:05:30 +0100,
Chris Hogg wrote: On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:48:14
+0100, Tim Streater wrote: In
article , Chris Hogg
wrote: On 26 Sep 2017 22:24:55 +0100 (BST),
Theo wrote: Harry
Bloomfield wrote: '...10MW of
solar PV co-located with 5 energy storage units totalling 6MW.'
That last bit quoted above makes no sense at all, the 6MW
part, unless they mean it can discharge at the 6MW rate. In which
case what is the capacity of the storage in watt/hours?
I think they mean 6MWh. A rough ballpark is 1MWh per 40'
container, and their aerial photo shows five, so that's about
right. You may be right, but it doesn't inspire confidence if
their publicity department doesn't have the technical savvy to use
the correct units. O-level education, you mean? In 'media
studies' or some such. Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you
have the ability to memorise ..

Do you actually need to be able to tell one picture from another, and
notice when pictures are similar or different in style? That's a bit
hard for some of us.

No, I dont think so.

I think you get a degree for being blonde with nice tits.

I've never really understood the parable of the talents.

--

Roger Hayter