Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB unit for car with only vhf?

Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/hond...-adaptors.html

I suppose it is the spread of DAB replacing VHF repeaters, but these
days VHF Radio 4 only seems to be reliable in towns, not in many of
the gaps in between. My car doesn't have a replaceable "head unit",
but has a USB power supply and a "line in" socket. Any advice on good
DAB add-ons? Or will I still find significant gaps in coverage?

Pure Highway 600. Also gives you a decent quality Bluetooth streaming
setup and handsfree for your phone.

We use one in the Toyota Alphard camper, to save swapping out the JDM
head unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others.
Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After
taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the
others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior
to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc
between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful
with the supplied aerial.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I seem to be being told that a lot depends on the aerial. and I'd have
thought that, as all aerials needs to be in the clear and high as possible.
Some DAB front ends are rather deaf.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely hide
one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/hond...-adaptors.html

I suppose it is the spread of DAB replacing VHF repeaters, but these
days VHF Radio 4 only seems to be reliable in towns, not in many of
the gaps in between. My car doesn't have a replaceable "head unit",
but has a USB power supply and a "line in" socket. Any advice on good
DAB add-ons? Or will I still find significant gaps in coverage?

Pure Highway 600. Also gives you a decent quality Bluetooth streaming
setup and handsfree for your phone.

We use one in the Toyota Alphard camper, to save swapping out the JDM
head unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
newshound wrote:
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others.
Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After
taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the
others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior
to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc
between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful
with the supplied aerial.

DAB aerials are powered either through an additional 12v connection or
through the aerial lead from the head unit. If the latter then make sure
the head unit is configured to supply power on the aerial lead.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others.
Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After
taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the
others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior
to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc
between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful
with the supplied aerial.

Thanks, very useful comment. Oddly enough, a friend turned up today with
a new head unit using a windscreen aeriel, he reckons it is fine "in
town" but with fading on his commute between Stroud and Bath.

The Honda has a short (but not stubby) roof aeriel, not sure if it is
active but presumably optimised around 100 MHz.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes
In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

Mine works OK but their have been reports of heated windscreens causing
problems. Also the aerial must be well earthed onto the body.
The Honda has a short (but not stubby) roof aeriel, not sure if it is
active but presumably optimised around 100 MHz.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

The Blaupunkt has separate aerial inputs for DAB and everything else. I
did try a splitter to use the original wing mounted aerial, but that
wasn't much cop either. The pukka DAB one has two amplifiers and two
downleads. But cost as much has some head units.

Car aerials make a big difference - no different from others, I expect. My
other car has the factory upgrade to a Bose sound system, and FM reception
on that is not brilliant. But being a convertible, I've no idea where the
aerial is. ;-) I'd expect the radio being somewhat newer is at least as
sensitive as the Blaupunkt.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

Thanks, most helpful. More research required, I wonder whether Honda or
an aftermarket supplier does an active DAB replacement for the existing
roof aerial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:44:38 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others.
Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After
taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the
others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior
to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc
between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful
with the supplied aerial.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Is it just me?

When Dave speaks of "The Old Car", I picture him in tweed in a Bently with a couple of guns, gundogs and lackeys! !::^*))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:44:38 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

Yep.

When Dave speaks of "The Old Car", I picture him in tweed in
a Bently with a couple of guns, gundogs and lackeys! !::^*))

I dont, none of those are rabid Labour supporters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2017 08:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
I seem to be being told that a lot depends on the aerial. and I'd have
thought that, as all aerials needs to be in the clear and high as possible.
Some DAB front ends are rather deaf.

Not so much deaf as deafened by strong adjacent channel. Local DAB txs
create a coverage hole for high powered main txs.

Incidentally I made a DAB aerial from a cheap car aerial base. Fitted a
length of steel wire intended for the Severn Bridge and trimmed it a few
mm at a time. Connected to the radio with 75 ohm TV cable. Works very well.

Bill