Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default DAB unit for car with only vhf?

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Posted this originally on u.r.c.maintenance, but only one reply so far.
May I try here? I see subsequently from Google that I can completely
hide one of these behind the dash (apart from the windscreen aerial).

I have a V expensive Blaupunkt in the old car. DAB plus all the others.
Which came with a windscreen mount DAB aerial. Totally useless. After
taking advice I bought an active DAB roof aerial (which also does the
others) and round London and the SE, DAB reception on that is way superior
to FM. FM reception on this is I'd describe as normal - some fading etc
between high buildings, etc. DAB is generally rock solid. But was awful
with the supplied aerial.

Thanks, very useful comment. Oddly enough, a friend turned up today with
a new head unit using a windscreen aeriel, he reckons it is fine "in
town" but with fading on his commute between Stroud and Bath.

The Honda has a short (but not stubby) roof aeriel, not sure if it is
active but presumably optimised around 100 MHz.