Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dim lights for corridor

I'm rewiring corridor lights,
it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs.
But could i also add dim lights for night time
- what sort of bulbs?

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/17 11:37, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm rewiring corridor lights,
it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs.
But could i also add dim lights for night time
- what sort of bulbs?

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

George

Probably not. Ift its LEDS you could try wiring a 400VAC capacitor in
series to limit LED current.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

Likely to vary on anything not incandescent ...

it could just carry on at full brightness if the internal Rs and Cs
allow it to pull enough current during the half wave that remains

or they might become horribly flickery

or you might end up overheating two out of the four diodes in the lamp's
bridge rectifier if they're run close to max

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:f2f0adFhnm4U1
@mid.individual.net:

DICEGEORGE wrote:

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

Likely to vary on anything not incandescent ...

it could just carry on at full brightness if the internal Rs and Cs
allow it to pull enough current during the half wave that remains

or they might become horribly flickery

or you might end up overheating two out of the four diodes in the lamp's
bridge rectifier if they're run close to max

Why not have a 2 gang switch where one is on/off and the other gang selects
a full brightness fitting and the other gang feeds some sort of minimal
brightness luminaire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not have a 2 gang switch where one is on/off and the other gang
selects a full brightness fitting and the other gang feeds some sort
of minimal brightness luminaire?

Sorry - I mean the other gang to be two-way (as it will be) where one
"Way" feeds full brightness and other "way" feeds minimal brightness. It
feels a more conventional approach - rather than messing about with
fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 11:37:09 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm rewiring corridor lights,
it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs.
But could i also add dim lights for night time

Why do you need dim lights for night time? Either the corridor needs to be lit, or it doesn't. ("Corridor" suggests non-domestic premises; if you need a nightlight in a house for nocturnal bathroom visits that's different.)

Either have the lights running 24/7 (a 4 watt LED will only cost about £4 a year to run) or have PIR with a long dwell time so the lights are usually on when people are about.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yes Derbyborn,
a second switch to some sort of minimal brightness luminaire,
but what sort are suitable for in a house?

Spuorg it is for upstairs in my house leading to toilets when i have guests
[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote in
:

yes Derbyborn,
a second switch to some sort of minimal brightness luminaire,
but what sort are suitable for in a house?

Spuorg it is for upstairs in my house leading to toilets when i have
guests [george]

Look around for a low Lumen lamp - in a luminaire in which you can parhaps
mask some of the light to get what you need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 11:37:09 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
I'm rewiring corridor lights,
it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs.
But could i also add dim lights for night time

of course

- what sort of bulbs?

LED come in any power you like. CFL are available down to 3w, ok as nightlighting for a large area

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

No. There are 2 ways to do this
1. Wire your 0.5W LED across the switch terminals so it lights whenever the main light is off
2. Put it on its own switching & wiring.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hate to think what it would do to any kind of power supply in a light.
Also, this kind of tthing can create a lot of RF interference on 'odd'
loads. As you say it sort of works with ordinary bulbs, and in the past I've
also wired them in series to give a similar effect two at a time.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DICEGEORGE" wrote in message
I'm rewiring corridor lights,
it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs.
But could i also add dim lights for night time
- what sort of bulbs?

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
DICEGEORGE writes

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

Could you not keep life simple and use a plug in LED night light? We
have a couple, and they just work.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

In message ,
DICEGEORGE writes

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

Could you not keep life simple and use a plug in LED night light? We
have a couple, and they just work.

Some of them even have a PIR, so only come on when needed.

Working out the payback time of the extra cost, against power
saved, is left as an exercise for the student.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Graeme wrote:

Could you not keep life simple and use a plug in LED night light? We
have a couple, and they just work.

Some of them even have a PIR, so only come on when needed.

Yes, ours does.

Working out the payback time of the extra cost, against power
saved, is left as an exercise for the student.

Uh oh. OK, assume 8 hours per night, 365 nights, is 2,920 hours p.a.

A standard 60w bulb will burn 160 kWh, so cost, at 12p per kWh, is
£19.20 per annum. An LED night light burns 0.5w, so 1/120th the cost,
or 16 pence - is that right???

LED night lights are around a fiver to buy.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

An LED night light burns 0.5w, so 1/120th the cost,
or 16 pence - is that right???

A rule of thumb is £1/year per watt that's on 24x7, it's probably
slightly under given price rises in recent years.

So a 0.5W light would be 50p/year if left on 24h/day, so 16p for 8h/day
is about right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 05:58:28 -0700 (PDT), DICEGEORGE wrote:

yes Derbyborn,
a second switch to some sort of minimal brightness luminaire,
but what sort are suitable for in a house?

Spuorg it is for upstairs in my house leading to toilets when i have guests
[george]

Try looking on the usual sites for 2W 'vintage' or similar LED lamps. Tend
to be 'filament' (COB) and about 2000K, so not glaringly bright at night.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 17:36:57 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Graeme wrote:

In message ,
DICEGEORGE writes

Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch
which cut out half the AC signal when switched off,
would this work with modern lights?

Could you not keep life simple and use a plug in LED night light? We
have a couple, and they just work.

Some of them even have a PIR, so only come on when needed.

yes I have two, had three, but one burnt out.

Working out the payback time of the extra cost, against power
saved, is left as an exercise for the student.

for me that was irrelivant as I didn't get them to save money.
I got them so when getting up in the night I could go to the toilet without needing to put lights on which I found far too bright for what I needed just to go to the loo. i.e I didn't need 3 X 40w spot lights in the bathroom just to have a ****. I also didnl;t need the hallway light up either.
Havign them with a PIR also meant even in the dark I didn't have to find the switch and then cover my eyes because it was too bright.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

excellent point whisky-dave,
i hadnt thought of that advantage of dim lights:
not to get dazzled and losing nightsight in the middle of the night when going for a ****.
I'm researching dimmers, different LEDs are incompatible with some trailing edge dimmers because LEDs are not regulated, it seems.
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A double lightswitch with a neon in it from one of the switches would be good - is it legal to drill a neon into a lightswitch,
what sort would be good for this?

It would probably be necessary to take a blue neutral to the switch for this wouldnt it?

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

A double lightswitch with a neon in it from one of the switches
would be good - is it legal to drill a neon into a lightswitch,

Probably easier to use a three position grid plate with two switches and
one neon indicator, not really sure if it'd be bright enough though,
they also do filament and fluorescent indicators.

It would probably be necessary to take a blue neutral to the switch for this wouldnt it?

Well it would save you from being naughty and using earth as the
not-live side of the neon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 17:38, DICEGEORGE wrote:
excellent point whisky-dave,
i hadnt thought of that advantage of dim lights:
not to get dazzled and losing nightsight in the middle of the night when going for a ****.
I'm researching dimmers, different LEDs are incompatible with some trailing edge dimmers because LEDs are not regulated, it seems.
[g]

Use red lights if you want to retain your night vision, like on submarines.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 17:58:45 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
A double lightswitch with a neon in it from one of the switches would be good - is it legal to drill a neon into a lightswitch,
what sort would be good for this?

It would probably be necessary to take a blue neutral to the switch for this wouldnt it?

[george]

It's against the Lightswitch Drilling Act 1907.
You'd want more than 1 neon indicator for night lighting. And putting them at the base of a ceiling light would be better than the light switch.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 21/09/2017 17:38, DICEGEORGE wrote:
excellent point whisky-dave,
i hadnt thought of that advantage of dim lights:
not to get dazzled and losing nightsight in the middle of the night when
going for a ****.
I'm researching dimmers, different LEDs are incompatible with some
trailing edge dimmers because LEDs are not regulated, it seems.
[g]

Use red lights if you want to retain your night vision, like on
submarines.

Interesting idea. With the fancy Philips Hue leds that do all the colors of
the
spectrum and all the color temp whites too, it would be trivial to do that.

And you dont need to fart around with any switches either,
just tell siri to do that 'scene' or use a movement sensor
which can be programmed to do that when you get up
in the middle of the night for a ****, but has normal light
when you are reading in bed etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:58:40 -0700, DICEGEORGE wrote:

A double lightswitch with a neon in it from one of the switches would be
good - is it legal to drill a neon into a lightswitch,
what sort would be good for this?

It would probably be necessary to take a blue neutral to the switch for
this wouldnt it?

I have these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK3041.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The LSD act of 1907 ?
An 'alternative fact'?
[g]
It's against the Lightswitch Drilling Act 1907.
You'd want more than 1 neon indicator for night lighting. And putting them at the base of a ceiling light would be better than the light switch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks Bob,
http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd
MK Neon Locator
its goes between a light switch and the wall
and takes a crumb of elec from earth and live,
not enough to trip the RCDs I hope if I have 20 of them?
[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd
MK Neon Locator
its goes between a light switch and the wall
and takes a crumb of elec from earth and live,
not enough to trip the RCDs I hope if I have 20 of them?

I assume from the "TUNGSTEN GLS LAMPS ONLY" you're supposed to wire the
neons across the switch, rather than live to earth, so they only glow
when the light is off ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

but a reviewer of this white neon locator from MK is says:
"˜…˜…˜…˜…˜…
4 out of 5 stars.
Anonymous · 2 years ago
Beware however that it is not suitable for use with low energy florescent type light bulbs although works ok with normal florescent tube type fittings.
" http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd

Is this true?
Why?
Will they work with LED bulbs?

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

a reviewer of this white neon locator from MK is says:
Beware however that it is not suitable for use with low energy florescent type light bulbs
Is this true?
Why?

It relies on being able to treat the lamp's filament as a path to
neutral to light the neons

Will they work with LED bulbs?

Might make the LED give a little flash every so often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

it is for upstairs in my house leading to toilets

Go for the big clive option

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/motion-sensor/32720283675.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:09:39 -0700, DICEGEORGE wrote:

thanks Bob, http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd
MK Neon Locator its goes between a light switch and the wall and takes a
crumb of elec from earth and live,
not enough to trip the RCDs I hope if I have 20 of them? [george]

No, it uses the filament of the bulb as a path.

They are connected to CFLs, and they still work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:12:59 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

DICEGEORGE wrote:

http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd MK Neon
Locator its goes between a light switch and the wall and takes a crumb
of elec from earth and live,
not enough to trip the RCDs I hope if I have 20 of them?

I assume from the "TUNGSTEN GLS LAMPS ONLY" you're supposed to wire the
neons across the switch, rather than live to earth, so they only glow
when the light is off ...

That's right. They work OK with the CFLs I have, and I think one of them
with an LED bulb!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 21:51, Andy Burns wrote:
DICEGEORGE wrote:

it is for upstairs in my house leading to toilets

Go for the big clive option

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/motion-sensor/32720283675.html

Priced at £3 on Ebay!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 21:27:23 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
but a reviewer of this white neon locator from MK is says:
"˜…˜…˜…˜…˜…
4 out of 5 stars.
Anonymous · 2 years ago
Beware however that it is not suitable for use with low energy florescent type light bulbs although works ok with normal florescent tube type fittings.
" http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd

Is this true?
Why?
Will they work with LED bulbs?

[george]

With some LED lights you can simply put an RC snubber across the switch & the LED glows dimly when nominally off.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 21:09:44 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
thanks Bob,
http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-ne...r/53970_BQ.prd
MK Neon Locator
its goes between a light switch and the wall
and takes a crumb of elec from earth and live,
not enough to trip the RCDs I hope if I have 20 of them?
[george]

20 of them would likely trip an RCD.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 17:38:21 UTC+1, DICEGEORGE wrote:
excellent point whisky-dave,
i hadnt thought of that advantage of dim lights:
not to get dazzled and losing nightsight in the middle of the night when going for a ****.
I'm researching dimmers, different LEDs are incompatible with some trailing edge dimmers because LEDs are not regulated, it seems.
[g]

I know thre's plenty of info on such things although some on here just don't understand the differncies, most LEDs or rather the PSU driving the LED work better with trailing edge circuitry and most seem to use MOSFET rather than TRIACs. Using leading edge with traics gets more power disipated in other componets such as the diac and other componets and they 'blow' up which means replacing a working TRIAC with the same type won't change anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 18:21:46 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/09/2017 17:38, DICEGEORGE wrote:
excellent point whisky-dave,
i hadnt thought of that advantage of dim lights:
not to get dazzled and losing nightsight in the middle of the night when going for a ****.
I'm researching dimmers, different LEDs are incompatible with some trailing edge dimmers because LEDs are not regulated, it seems.
[g]

Use red lights if you want to retain your night vision, like on submarines.

Trouble is getting up in the night to have a **** and having to change the light buld from a 'normal' one to a red one is a bit of a pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 September 2017 12:52:07 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Shakin' steven
Talking heads

but there's info on LEDs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWh2...ature=youtu.be