Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Translucent no more

Just saw a new advert for a company that builds solid insulated roofs onto
conservatories. Is any consideration given by them to cutting off daylight
to internal rooms?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have had one of those fitted in March and what a difference it has made. No longer do we get the extremes of temperature on sunny days and far less heat loss in the evenings. As far as loss of light you still have all the remaining windows of the conservatory so in our case the conservatory and the room it is attached to have suffered very little light loss. What we have been able to do is have blinds fitted to reduce glare even more so I can comfortably type on this laptop without getting snow blindness. Obviously it will be the room's performance in Winter that will be the real test but there is enough evidence to indicate that heat loss will be far less than previously experienced.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2017 12:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
We have had one of those fitted in March and what a difference it has
made. No longer do we get the extremes of temperature on sunny days
and far less heat loss in the evenings. As far as loss of light you
still have all the remaining windows of the conservatory so in our
case the conservatory and the room it is attached to have suffered
very little light loss. What we have been able to do is have blinds
fitted to reduce glare even more so I can comfortably type on this
laptop without getting snow blindness. Obviously it will be the
room's performance in Winter that will be the real test but there is
enough evidence to indicate that heat loss will be far less than
previously experienced.

Sitting here in an all glass conservatory typing away easily.

Just fit roof and window blinds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just saw a new advert for a company that builds solid insulated roofs onto
conservatories. Is any consideration given by them to cutting off daylight
to internal rooms?

Isn't a transparent/translucent roof an 'essential' element of a
conservatory for planning purposes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The people who did ours manufacture their own roof systems rather than use someone else's kit.

http://www.twsleeds.co.uk/

As far as putting up roof blinds? We looked into that 3 years ago and it was coming in at £3000+ just for the roof and it would not have done anything about heat loss. The money was better invested in putting a proper insulated roof on.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2017 13:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The people who did ours manufacture their own roof systems rather than use someone else's kit.

http://www.twsleeds.co.uk/

As far as putting up roof blinds? We looked into that 3 years ago and it was coming in at £3000+ just for the roof and it would not have done anything about heat loss. The money was better invested in putting a proper insulated roof on.

Richard

It actually makes quite a big difference to the feel having roof blinds.
It reduces the radiation loses by a lot and having a good glass roof
reduces the heat loss by conduction.

You must have a big conservatory to cost that much.
My 15ft by 10ft roof was less than half that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just saw a new advert for a company that builds solid insulated roofs
onto
conservatories. Is any consideration given by them to cutting off
daylight
to internal rooms?

Isn't a transparent/translucent roof an 'essential' element of a
conservatory for planning purposes?

if it is covering the only daylighting window it is against Building
Regs.........and with a solid roof it becomes a porch and size is
limited.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2017 13:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just saw a new advert for a company that builds solid insulated roofs
onto
conservatories. Is any consideration given by them to cutting off
daylight
to internal rooms?

Isn't a transparent/translucent roof an 'essential' element of a
conservatory for planning purposes?

It was, but I don't think it is any more.

SteveW