Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch Dishwasher not heating - E09 (solved)

Not actually a question, just summarising.

Bosch Exxcel SMS65E32GB/98 dishwasher tripped the RCD once, and subsequently would run a full cycle but show E09 at the end - and didn't heat the water at all.

Googling said this was probably a heat pump error, and suggested it was not a DIY fix. Whatever.

Bosch have exploded parts diagrams here

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/customer...ts/spare-parts
- just enter the model number as the E-Nr number. Then click on Spart parts list and Exploded Drawings. At this point I usually had to reload the page to get it to actually display any drawings.

I disassembled the dishwasher following instructions from several videos. Screws are Torx head, of cours.e I had to take off the lid, right hand side, tip the thing on its back, unscrew cover 0541 in order to remove reservoir 0540. Clean up the cover and facing prior to replacement. This then allowed me to move the power module 0660 and gain access to the heat pump 0450. I took off a whole lot besides, but this probably wasn't necessary. One video on the web wants you to remove the whole case bottom 0610. While this would doubtless make the job a lot easier, I don't believe it is actually (easily) removable on this model, since I found some crimped metal where you might want a screw...

This video covers most of the essentials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKAQmq9MPN8

After removing the heat pump, take off seal 0453 as well, which should just easily prise off. The replacement heat pump comes with a new seal, aka Jubilee clip. Tightening this thing for the new pump was the only really fiddly bit of the whole job.

The heat pump is drawing 0450 which is part 12019637. Bosch were about half the price of anyone else for this part, so I got it from them, which took two working days.

I spent perhaps three-four hours on the whole job, having never opened a dishwasher first. If I did it again, it would take less than one hour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/customer...ion-and-parts/

[...]

A couple of things to add. I have always found that Bosch get parts to me
in two days; very reliable. Also, you can print those exploded drawings,
which can make life on the floor in front of the appliance a lot easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Forgot to mention the actual fault. I disassembled the old heat pump, and found it was split into a pump (logically enough) and a separate part containing a flexible heating element wrapped around a grounded metal tube through which the water flowed (so no scaling problem). There was a larger metal tube wrapped around this - again, grounded. 5mm gap between the element and the shroud, and clear evidence of a large spark across them which had burned a hole in the element. No residue left, but I assume a spider or something had crawled through the gap. The only puzzling bit is that the flexible element itself should be insulated on the surface, so how did the spider short things in the first place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 11:25:28 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Maybe a tree fell across the overhead low voltage phases nearby and
you got a momentary 480 volts.

It wasn't windy. If there'd been a storm going when the RCD tripped in the first place we'd have noted that as a cause.

In any case, I'd be amazed if the only damage caused by a voltage spike was to the dishwasher pump!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ben, BACON head wrote:
Thats cheap for my model the heat pump cost 130 GBP!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1235645-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BACON head m wrote

Thats cheap for my model the heat pump cost 130 GBP!

Yeah, thats the big downside with Bosch dishwashers,
the integrated pump and heater costs a lot to replace
if one of the functions fails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 13:01:13 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Thats cheap for my model the heat pump cost 130 GBP!

Yeah, that¢s the big downside with Bosch dishwashers,
the integrated pump and heater costs a lot to replace
if one of the functions fails.

He just SAID that it costs a lot, you senile "argumentative asshole"! tsk

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to bblaukopf, Fallkraut wrote:
I found all of this very helpful, particularly the video. Theres one
problem though. The clip on the hose is sitting the other way around in my
case, so that I cant get to the opening mechanism for it from the open
side. Any trick to either still being able to open it, or to turn it around on
the hose. Many thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1235645-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably a bit late for Fallkraut, but for anyone else having the same problem, as I did, you can actually free the pump without undoing that clip. Lots of twisting, wiggling and pulling and it comes free. I really, really wish I'd known this before spending an hour trying to get that damn clip off one-handed and by touch alone.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1235645-.htm