Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking vents in walls

The continuing saga of the ex PO/shop attached to our house.

Keep in mind that, for 40 years, it was 'improved' by 'engineers'
employed by Royal Mail and/or Post Office, who added sockets, installed
alarms, rearranged wiring etc., all without any thought of aesthetics,
so cables run all over the place and, where they meet a wall, just go
through without any attempt to seal the holes.

The local fire brigade visited recently, and gave the building the all
clear, but made a few advisory comments, one of which was to seal
various holes. One internal wall in particular is plasterboard over
studs, and, either side of the wall are vents - holes around 10 x 6
inches covered with a plastic vent. I was advised to remove the vents
and fill the holes with plaster board which is OK, but why might the
wall have needed vents in the first place?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2017 07:49, Graeme wrote:

The continuing saga of the ex PO/shop attached to our house.

Keep in mind that, for 40 years, it was 'improved' by 'engineers'
employed by Royal Mail and/or Post Office, who added sockets, installed
alarms, rearranged wiring etc., all without any thought of aesthetics,
so cables run all over the place and, where they meet a wall, just go
through without any attempt to seal the holes.

The local fire brigade visited recently, and gave the building the all
clear, but made a few advisory comments, one of which was to seal
various holes.Â* One internal wall in particular is plasterboard over
studs, and, either side of the wall are vents - holes around 10 x 6
inches covered with a plastic vent.Â* I was advised to remove the vents
and fill the holes with plaster board which is OK, but why might the
wall have needed vents in the first place?

Was a boiler once housed in a room either side of the wall ?

To prevent damp by having some air circulation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

The continuing saga of the ex PO/shop attached to our house.

Keep in mind that, for 40 years, it was 'improved' by 'engineers'
employed by Royal Mail and/or Post Office, who added sockets, installed
alarms, rearranged wiring etc., all without any thought of aesthetics,
so cables run all over the place and, where they meet a wall, just go
through without any attempt to seal the holes.

The local fire brigade visited recently, and gave the building the all
clear, but made a few advisory comments, one of which was to seal
various holes. One internal wall in particular is plasterboard over
studs, and, either side of the wall are vents - holes around 10 x 6
inches covered with a plastic vent. I was advised to remove the vents
and fill the holes with plaster board which is OK, but why might the
wall have needed vents in the first place?

Are the vents lined all the way through the stud wall to a vent on the
other side? If there is no vent on the other side, or no lining to
avoid the inside of the wall being 'ventilated' then maybe the vents
were just used as a quick way of finishing off holes in the
plasterboard made for wiring access etc.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 01/09/2017 07:49, Graeme wrote:

but why might the wall have needed vents in the first place?

Was a boiler once housed in a room either side of the wall ?

No. The wall separates what was the PO on one side, and the RM sorting/
delivery office on the other. Both have external doors, and all hot
water and heating comes from the house boiler. Looking at the original
plans (1979), there is no mention of a boiler.

To prevent damp by having some air circulation?

Yes, but why, I wonder. As said above, both areas have external doors.
Both areas also have opening windows. The sorting office side has a
kitchenette, but the intention was only ever a kettle and sink. No
cooker. It was years later that a microwave oven was added, and a
fridge.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Graeme wrote:
but why might the
wall have needed vents in the first place?

Are the vents lined all the way through the stud wall to a vent on the
other side?

Yes. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

If there is no vent on the other side, or no lining to
avoid the inside of the wall being 'ventilated' then maybe the vents
were just used as a quick way of finishing off holes in the
plasterboard made for wiring access etc.

Although the walls are now full of wiring holes, none are near the
vents, and there is no trace of there ever having been anything there,
other than the vents.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/09/2017 09:59, Graeme wrote:

Although the walls are now full of wiring holes, none are near the
vents, and there is no trace of there ever having been anything there,
other than the vents.

Maybe it was to shout through: "Tea's up!"

Or perhaps they even put post through? Later on, when that stopped, the
grilles were added.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 01/09/2017 09:59, Graeme wrote:

Although the walls are now full of wiring holes, none are near the
vents, and there is no trace of there ever having been anything there,
other than the vents.

Maybe it was to shout through: "Tea's up!"

RM staff would certainly not make tea for PO staff :-)

Or perhaps they even put post through? Later on, when that stopped, the
grilles were added.

The holes/grills are above the connecting doorway, so 7 feet above floor
level :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

In message , GB
writes
On 01/09/2017 09:59, Graeme wrote:

Although the walls are now full of wiring holes, none are near the
vents, and there is no trace of there ever having been anything there,
other than the vents.

Maybe it was to shout through: "Tea's up!"

RM staff would certainly not make tea for PO staff :-)

Or perhaps they even put post through? Later on, when that stopped, the
grilles were added.

The holes/grills are above the connecting doorway, so 7 feet above floor
level :-)

I can see no reason they were put in. But I think you can be quite
confident that there is no need for them now, and they constitute both a
fire risk and a confidentiality risk.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 September 2017 10:56:37 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
The holes/grills are above the connecting doorway, so 7 feet above floor
level :-)

I have seen partition walls put up with holes in to allow the fluorescent fittings to continue through :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 September 2017 07:49:18 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
[...]

Probably some sort of forced ventilation system, since removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 September 2017 09:00:13 UTC+1, harry wrote:
[...]

Just assess whether you need them now.

NT