Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking up redundant under floor heating vents before carpeting

Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer in
use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill
the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the
carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David.WE.Roberts
writes
Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer in
use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill
the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the
carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cover with a patch of 9 or 12mm ply (to stop a foot or furniture leg
going through), omit underlay over the patch (sitting proud) and
completely over-carpet to give a level surface.

The patched area wont have the compliance of the underlayed section but
as vents will be near the wall it won't matter much and it is better to
have them properly protected.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer in
use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill
the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the
carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R

I'd be interested in a solution also. I have the same problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
In article , David.WE.Roberts
writes
[...]

Underlay is largely responsible for the life of a carpet, so if there
is any traffic at all over a solid bit, I would expect that to show
quite quickly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 23:39:03 -0000, "brass monkey" wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer in
use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill
the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the
carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R

I'd be interested in a solution also. I have the same problem.

Can you remove the vents and board over?

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:36:10 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 23:39:03 -0000, "brass monkey" wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer
in use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with
cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to
fill the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting
the carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R

I'd be interested in a solution also. I have the same problem.

Can you remove the vents and board over?

Solid floor with crumbly tar covering - so no.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:06:14 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Daughter and partner are about to have the lounge re-carpeted.

They have these under floor warm air heating vents which are no longer
in use.

Carpet people said put some expanding foam down then cover it with
cement.

I imagine you would start with some newspaper unless you wanted to fill
the under floor void :-)

So - has anyone done this and does it work O.K.?

The vents are not of the best and it is likely to be a pain fitting the
carpet around them as the sides are on the way out.

Cheers

Dave R

Fitters just stamped the grilles down then ran carpet over them :-)

Cheers

Dave R