Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blocking hot air vents.

Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Holford wrote:
Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

This is exactly what we did in my M-I-L's bungalow

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2012 17:04, Chris Holford wrote:
Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

That's what I did the other week. Seems to work. One problem that I did
have is that there was no wall below the vent, just the metal vent
covered with some metal gauze. But stuck the plasterboard on with
no-more-nail type adhesive and it seems OK so far.

For the floor vent in the kitchen I filled with rubble. Sealed with some
cement and tiled over.

That was a couple of years ago and there have been no problems since.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2012 17:04, Chris Holford wrote:
Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

No, fix them up to a central vac. unit in the garage and use them to
suck away the dust...
;¬)

Pete.
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/books/
Fat Loss Books and loads of stuff !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

remove gauze, stuff with newspapers, bash gauze back about 3/4" below
desired finished level and fill with bonding plaseter.

skim and sand back flush?

That was a couple of years ago and there have been no problems since.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2012 17:04, Chris Holford wrote:
Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

Wow. Great potential for easy install of network, telephone, TV and
speakers, and plumbed in Beer Taps ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Holford" wrote in message

Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators.

It must have been some dumb bathroom changer who did that who knew nothing
of heating systems. How sad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
Chris Holford wrote:
Have just made an offer on a 70s property which had had ducted hot air
heating. This has been replaced at some time with a gas boiler and
conventional radiators. The original vents for the hot air have been
left in place but now seem to serve no useful purpose. Can they be
blocked off? -any suggestions of the best way to do this? It occurred to
me to remove the metal grilles, fix a piece of plasterboard in the holes
and skim over to give a smooth finish; is this a reasonable idea?

This is exactly what we did in my M-I-L's bungalow

Now I've moved in I find that the double glazing does not have any
ventilation slots. If I block the redundant hot air vents the rooms
would not have any ventilation at all if the windows are closed. One
room has a gas fire connected to the chimney so presumably that room
needs some air inlet when the gas fire is used; how best to do this?
Do the other rooms need ventilation?
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 21, 11:36*am, Chris Holford
wrote:
In article , charles
writesIn article ,
* Chris Holford wrote:
[...]

Best way is to replace gas heater with a balanced flue one. Not as
good: make hole in wall, sleeve the cavity, fit grille.

NT

Boiler and stack vents - can I use tile vents? nafuk UK diy 0 January 26th 07 09:21 AM
Should vinyl siding vents line up with the existing vents? Terry Home Repair 3 December 21st 06 03:57 AM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Blocking trolls Guess who Woodworking 0 January 14th 05 08:40 PM
Number of return vents vs. supply vents jeff Home Repair 6 November 9th 04 04:05 PM