Posted to alt.home.repair

Default floor protrusion when blocking joists from underneath

Okay, maybe I'm just being paranoid but I have to ask: Today I was
cutting some blocks for between joists (i-joists) in my basement where
I am going to put up a new wall in my basement finishing project. I
cut the blocks to size, and left them just about 1/16th larger than
the opening between the joists, figuring I could wedge them in and
then they'd stay in place while I nailed them. Well, I got
interrupted and took the blocks down and quit for the day. Now, on
the floor above, I notice that the floor appears to be uneven, almost
precisely at the spot where one of the joists I was working with is
at. It happens to be where two pieces of plywood meet for the
subfloor, and over it is carpet on the 1st floor of the house. I
can't say for sure that it wasn't like that before since I don't go in
that room all that often, but I really think I would have noticed. Is
it possible that I caused this subfloor to heave just by squeezing the
blocking in between the joists today, even though it was only for a
matter of seconds? If so, how do I fix it, without tearing up the
carpet and renailing?

Floor joists geraldthehamster UK diy 14 November 7th 07 09:12 PM
Floor joists Callum UK diy 20 August 23rd 05 07:57 PM
Draining down CH pipes underneath floor Andy Hide UK diy 12 January 25th 05 07:50 PM
floor joists Sploop UK diy 2 October 2nd 04 02:33 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM