Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint stripper

Are there ANY decent paint strippers still available since the emasculation of Nitromors ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Are there ANY decent paint strippers still available since the emasculation of Nitromors ?

I've stripped what seems like acres of wood in the last couple of years.
I've a hot air gun that works well, but it tends to blow bits of paint
everywhere. And occasionally burns something. I find Nitromors is okay
if you use it exactly as instructed (I think that means you have to
brush it on twice before stripping), whereas I think that wasn't so
important years ago. Acetone soaked kitchen roll is IMHO great for
getting off the bits that are left - most paint just 'melts' (like it
does when used as nail varnish remover). But bear in mind that it is
regarded as hazardous in various ways. You might not want to take any
chances with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 July 2017 10:57:46 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Are there ANY decent paint strippers still available since the emasculation of Nitromors ?

You can still buy the old methylene chloride, it's just not permitted to be sold as paint stripper. Know why before use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2017 21:21, wrote:

Starch powder

aka wallpaper paste powder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:31:16 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 28 July 2017 10:57:46 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Are there ANY decent paint strippers still available since the emasculation of Nitromors ?

You can still buy the old methylene chloride, it's just not permitted to be sold as paint stripper. Know why before use.

NT

Found this

https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatal...h_Remover.html

paint stripper question...... [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 11th 05 12:16 AM
Paint stripper ben UK diy 19 July 15th 05 12:24 PM
Paint stripper masking? Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott Home Repair 7 November 28th 04 09:52 AM
Paint stripper fell in a new aryllic bath Mickey UK diy 30 October 31st 03 12:05 AM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 01:12 PM