Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Paint stripper masking?

Is there some way to mask off areas of something like a door jamb before
applying paint stripper so that only certain areas are stripped? My aim
with a stripper-laden brush is not nearly good enough, and I need to
remove paint from a two-tone door jamb, where one side of the doorway is
getting new paint, while the other wants to have its paint untouched.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Baron

This is not easy. There are various coatings and tapes that will give
you a fighting chance. You end up using multiple layers of different tapes
that may be staggered.
If you strip the part that you do not want to strip, is it really a
problem to repaint it?

et wrote in message

Is there some way to mask off areas of something like a door jamb before
applying paint stripper so that only certain areas are stripped? My aim
with a stripper-laden brush is not nearly good enough, and I need to
remove paint from a two-tone door jamb, where one side of the doorway is
getting new paint, while the other wants to have its paint untouched.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR

m Ransley

Figure No. Stripper soaks around tape, so be prepared for plastering
.......It is a Mess

Baron wrote:
This is not easy. There are various coatings and tapes that will give
you a fighting chance. You end up using multiple layers of different tapes
that may be staggered.
If you strip the part that you do not want to strip, is it really a
problem to repaint it?

Yeah, because there is no place to stop stripping other than a midpoint
in the jamb between the bathroom and the hall -- the hall-side of the
jamb is painted like the other hall jambs, a color the previous owner
picked, and the jambs connect to the chair rail, also of the same color,
which joins the jambs. It's all of one piece, finish-wise. The only real
breakpoint is in the doorway.

Phooey.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
m Ransley

Learn the hard way - DIY . It will SEEP Have Fun

willshak

On 11/27/2004 7:11 PM US(ET), Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott took
fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Baron wrote:

This is not easy. There are various coatings and tapes that will
give
you a fighting chance. You end up using multiple layers of different
tapes
that may be staggered.
If you strip the part that you do not want to strip, is it really a
problem to repaint it?

Yeah, because there is no place to stop stripping other than a
midpoint in the jamb between the bathroom and the hall -- the
hall-side of the jamb is painted like the other hall jambs, a color
the previous owner picked, and the jambs connect to the chair rail,
also of the same color, which joins the jambs. It's all of one piece,
finish-wise. The only real breakpoint is in the doorway.

Phooey.

What if you pulled off the door stop that is in the middle of the door
jamb, stripped the one side, and then put the door stop back?
If the door stop is to be stripped too, then strip that separately.

Baron wrote:

[...]

You're brilliant. I can do that. That'll work just peachy -- thanks!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Norminn

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Is there some way to mask off areas of something like a door jamb before
applying paint stripper so that only certain areas are stripped? My aim
with a stripper-laden brush is not nearly good enough, and I need to
remove paint from a two-tone door jamb, where one side of the doorway is
getting new paint, while the other wants to have its paint untouched.

I have used aluminum foil to protect other parts when stripping paint.
If you can slide it under the piece you want to strip, it will work. It
might be better, in the long run, to take off the part where the colors
meet, strip and paint it, repaint, replace, and touch up.

You may cause yourself a whole lot more work - and the purchase of
another color of paint - by trying to do it in place. If it is painted
on, use a steel straight edge and sharp knife to cut the paint film so's
you can get it off.