Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to melt shoe polish?

replying to Kooky45, DonK3866 wrote:
It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact i
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...sh-129455-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oo er missus.

Wots that pong, oh its my latest hot shoepolish and white spirit sponge
cake, want some?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DonK3866" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Kooky45, DonK3866 wrote:
It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...sh-129455-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DonK3866 wrote:

It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact i
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

My dad used to melt the crumbly dregs of shoe polish in the tin on the
gas hob...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DonK3866 wrote:
replying to Kooky45, DonK3866 wrote:
It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact i
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

The missus thinks I'm weird, but I only ever use olive oil now. It
works well enough for me, but I'm not known for being very, er, soigné.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Throwing away one's ties is the male equivalent of women burning their
brassieres.

Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know when I last used shoe polish.
Its like a tie, never ever think about those either, never wear em.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:35:13 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

The missus thinks I'm weird, but I only ever use olive oil now. It
works well enough for me, but I'm not known for being very, er, soigné.

HoH strikes again - "posted on November 29, 2004". Do these berks think
the OP is still sitting there waiting for an answer?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:35:13 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

The missus thinks I'm weird, but I only ever use olive oil now. It
works well enough for me, but I'm not known for being very, er, soigné.

HoH strikes again - "posted on November 29, 2004". Do these berks think
the OP is still sitting there waiting for an answer?

Nope. Just welcoming a chance to talk about something that isn't
politics :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2017 23:44, DonK3866 wrote:
replying to Kooky45, DonK3866 wrote:
It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact i
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Is the OP still alive? How old is the post you're replying to?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-28, Andy Burns wrote:
DonK3866 wrote:

It is ok to melt it i do it all the time on our stove on low heat in fact i
think it works better and get a high gloss on my boots

My dad used to melt the crumbly dregs of shoe polish in the tin on the
gas hob...

It's quite inflammable.

Don't ask how I know.

It was supposed to be a practice with army boots to apply thick polish
and then light it before blowing it out and buffing. At least, that's
what I was told.

I tried it on a pair of shoes when I was at school and it made the
toecaps shrink, making them quite uncomfortable. My mother was not
impressed, and I had to keep wearing them.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote

Throwing away one's ties is the male equivalent of women burning their
brassieres.

Like hell it is. I never ever wore one voluntarily, most stupid thing ever
invented IMO.

Tho some things like top hats and tails come close.

Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know when I last used shoe polish.
Its like a tie, never ever think about those either, never wear em.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote

Throwing away one's ties is the male equivalent of women burning their
brassieres.

Like hell it is. I never ever wore one voluntarily, most stupid thing
ever invented IMO.

I think most clothes nowadays have at least some element of stupidity
(most commonly known as 'fashion'). With the possible exception of,
say, welding gloves and incontinence pants. But I wasn't being too
serious :-)

Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know when I last used shoe polish.
Its like a tie, never ever think about those either, never wear em.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:22:17 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Nope. Just welcoming a chance to talk about something that isn't
politics

I wasn't including you in the 'berks', just those on HoH who reply to 12+
year old posts.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:22:17 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Nope. Just welcoming a chance to talk about something that isn't
politics

I wasn't including you in the 'berks', just those on HoH who reply to 12+
year old posts.

I should be less sensitive, thanks :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2017 11:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its like a tie, never ever think about those either, never wear em.

I wore one yesterday. It did occur to me that the previous time was also
to a funeral.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2017 16:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:13:20 +0100, Clive Arthur
wrote:

It was supposed to be a practice with army boots to apply thick polish
and then light it before blowing it out and buffing. At least, that's
what I was told.

'Tis true, particularly for brand-new boots that had dimples on the
toe caps. Boys in the school CCCF used to melt black boot polish in an
old dessert spoon over a candle flame until it caught alight, pour it
over the toe caps while still burning, and rub the back of the hot
spoon over the flaming toecap to smooth the dimples and get the polish
to penetrate. When cool, the toe caps would be spit-and-polished for
hours, with spit, polish and a soft duster. You could get a mirror
finish that way, just like patent leather.

I was specifically told NOT to use spit as it is greasy rather a small
amount of water in the polish tin lid should be used.

I was on parade once when I had to march out to the officer taking it,
he had brown shoes on but with black bulled toes.