Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MIG Welders

Time was when gasless MIGs were regarded as inferior, producing spattery
welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros.
However, looking at what's available today it seems they might just have
cracked the problem, given that the gassless variants now seem to
outnumber the others, so I'm guessing they're doing something right.
Is it still worth shelling out the extra money for those that require
bottled gas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/23/2017 3:46 PM, Chris wrote:

Time was when gasless MIGs were regarded as inferior, producing spattery
welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros.
However, looking at what's available today it seems they might just have
cracked the problem, given that the gassless variants now seem to
outnumber the others, so I'm guessing they're doing something right.
Is it still worth shelling out the extra money for those that require
bottled gas?

Has the technology changed? Not that I am aware. Assuming that is the
case, I'd have thought that a sufficiently skilled welder would always
do better with gas than gasless, at least indoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 16:24:53 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 7/23/2017 3:46 PM, Chris wrote:

Time was when gasless MIGs were regarded as inferior, producing spattery
welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros.
However, looking at what's available today it seems they might just have
cracked the problem, given that the gassless variants now seem to
outnumber the others, so I'm guessing they're doing something right.
Is it still worth shelling out the extra money for those that require
bottled gas?

Has the technology changed? Not that I am aware. Assuming that is the
case, I'd have thought that a sufficiently skilled welder would always
do better with gas than gasless, at least indoors.

I used gasless in around 2000 and had no weld quality problems. It was easy & neat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" wrote in message
news

Time was when gasless MIGs were regarded as inferior, producing spattery
welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros.
However, looking at what's available today it seems they might just have
cracked the problem, given that the gassless variants now seem to
outnumber the others, so I'm guessing they're doing something right.
Is it still worth shelling out the extra money for those that require
bottled gas?

no they still make, "spattery
welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros."
and are not cost effective if you need to use them regularly
there only attribute is if you need to use a Mig outside on a windy day
you can make quite satisfactory welds indoors with Co2 pub gas bottles
which are cheeeeppp to refill

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:24:48 +0100, newshound wrote:

Has the technology changed?

Maybe. But what's more likely to have improved (perhaps) is the flux in
the wire. Or the placement of the flux in/around the wire. or the
composition of the flux.
MIG welders used to be ginormous things when they first came out, but the
widespread adoption of inverter (switcher) technology using IGFETs &
MOSFETs for current control and higher operating frequencies has shrunk
them in size considerably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:24:48 +0100, newshound wrote:

Has the technology changed?

Maybe. But what's more likely to have improved (perhaps) is the flux in
the wire. Or the placement of the flux in/around the wire. or the
composition of the flux.
MIG welders used to be ginormous things when they first came out, but the
widespread adoption of inverter (switcher) technology using IGFETs &
MOSFETs for current control and higher operating frequencies has shrunk
them in size considerably.

Really
find me an inverter MIG welder that takes flux cored wire

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/23/2017 11:47 PM, Mark wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:24:48 +0100, newshound wrote:

Has the technology changed?

Maybe. But what's more likely to have improved (perhaps) is the flux in
the wire. Or the placement of the flux in/around the wire. or the
composition of the flux.
MIG welders used to be ginormous things when they first came out, but the
widespread adoption of inverter (switcher) technology using IGFETs &
MOSFETs for current control and higher operating frequencies has shrunk
them in size considerably.

Really
find me an inverter MIG welder that takes flux cored wire

That was my thought too, but ICBA to do research.

And I am not convinced that fluxes would have changed much either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:24:48 +0100, newshound wrote:

Has the technology changed?

Maybe. But what's more likely to have improved (perhaps) is the flux in
the wire. Or the placement of the flux in/around the wire. or the
composition of the flux.
MIG welders used to be ginormous things when they first came out, but
the
widespread adoption of inverter (switcher) technology using IGFETs &
MOSFETs for current control and higher operating frequencies has shrunk
them in size considerably.

Really
find me an inverter MIG welder that takes flux cored wire

That was my thought too, but ICBA to do research.

Plenty of inverter migs will *also* take flux cored wire.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:24:48 +0100, newshound wrote:

Has the technology changed?

Maybe. But what's more likely to have improved (perhaps) is the flux in
the wire. Or the placement of the flux in/around the wire. or the
composition of the flux.
MIG welders used to be ginormous things when they first came out, but
the
widespread adoption of inverter (switcher) technology using IGFETs &
MOSFETs for current control and higher operating frequencies has shrunk
them in size considerably.

Really
find me an inverter MIG welder that takes flux cored wire

That was my thought too, but ICBA to do research.

Plenty of inverter migs will *also* take flux cored wire.

they may well now that they are making 0.8mm flux cored wire but that was
not always the case

and then you have the question of polarity to answer

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

[...]

Look at some like the R-Tech range - they allow the polarity to be
flipped and specifically state they are suitable for fluxed wire.

--
Cheers,

John.