Oakchas

Default bargain basement mig welders

First: Please pardon me for barging in... With a question.

Preamble:
I haven't welded for 20 years +.. I Was never any good at stick welding mild
steel (I'd blow holes in 1/4" with the welder off!) But could stick weld
stainless any way you wanted vertical up/overhead/flat what have you...

I could run a mig welder on mild, we used to practice welding 1/8" expanded
metal filling the holes... that I could do with a Mig...

Question:
Harbor freight has a Chicago Electric 200 amp mig unit for sale @ $399.
It ain't a Hobart, Lincoln, or any other brand name... it's their house brand.
Seems it'll take a large spool. seems to have adjustable speed feed, though
it "presets" feed based on amps (and you can adjust from there). 20% duty
cycle at 200 amps. The tips don't appear to be replaceable (replace the entire
weld head and cable cover) but I may be wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone has this unit... if any one can recommend it, (I KNOW,
it's "HF... Junk") But at 1/3 the cost or less than a good one... Will I get
any use outa it..? I'm not planning on building the Eiffel Tower... But I
really would like the occasional capacity of the 200 amp end for thicker
stuff... and the low end, at 30 amps, should do sheet metal... No?

If you can't help withthis question... steer me to some group that can
please....

Charlie
Thomas Kendrick

I was in Home Depot at lunch. They have at least one Lincoln 110V MIG
for $325. How much 1/4" plate will you be using? Should work fine on
1/8" mild steel.

On 08 Jun 2004 13:19:32 GMT, (Oakchas) wrote:
Question:
Harbor freight has a Chicago Electric 200 amp mig unit for sale @ $399.

Old Nick

On 08 Jun 2004 13:19:32 GMT, (Oakchas) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I don't own the machine, but have some ideas from previous lives.

First: Please pardon me for barging in... With a question.

Preamble:
I haven't welded for 20 years +.. I Was never any good at stick welding mild
steel (I'd blow holes in 1/4" with the welder off!) But could stick weld
stainless any way you wanted vertical up/overhead/flat what have you...

I could run a mig welder on mild, we used to practice welding 1/8" expanded
metal filling the holes... that I could do with a Mig...

Question:
Harbor freight has a Chicago Electric 200 amp mig unit for sale @ $399.
It ain't a Hobart, Lincoln, or any other brand name... it's their house brand.
Seems it'll take a large spool. seems to have adjustable speed feed, though
it "presets" feed based on amps (and you can adjust from there).

*******20% duty at 200 amps. The tips don't appear to be replaceable (replace the entire
weld head and cable cover) but I may be wrong.************

Both of those could be a pest, if you need to do that one big(ger)
project. Duty cycle is important.

Non-replaceable tips? Sounds weird. Is that where they make their
dough? I would check the cost of that option, and the work involved,
if that is true.
- You can ruin a tip by accident, not just wear, on a 180-200 A
machine.
- How do you adjust for wire sizes?

I'm wondering if anyone has this unit... if any one can recommend it, (I KNOW,
it's "HF... Junk") But at 1/3 the cost or less than a good one... Will I get
any use outa it..? I'm not planning on building the Eiffel Tower... But I
really would like the occasional capacity of the 200 amp end for thicker
stuff... and the low end, at 30 amps, should do sheet metal... No?

If you can't help withthis question... steer me to some group that can
please....

Is it gas/gasless, just gasless (flux cored), just gas? Personally if
I coud not have both, I would go for gas.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad
Russ Wizinsky

I purchased one from www.chpower.com and love it. I loaned it to my dad who
only did stick welding, and welded professionally for years and he won't
give it back. If you go to their web site they have refurb ones. Which is
what I got. Same as new but about $100 less. I think I paid $229 for mine
and it'll do up to 1/4" and has the adapter for gas but comes with flux
core.

Russ

www.metalhobbies.com
www.professorwiz.com
Forums for discussion of model engine making now online! No ads
"Old Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Oakchas

Thanks for your opinions, guys...
I will occasionally want to do more than sheet metal. Hence the "desire for
higher" amperage. Finiky.. I can live with... And I agree about the
non-replaceable tips.. they've gotta be replaceable... but I can't find them
listed in their parts etc...

So.. I am not pulling the trigger yet... but It seems like "such a deal"... ya
know?
Siggy

I have a HF model 6271 (Dual MIG 151). I got it on sale for $199 but the
cheapest I can find now is $239. For the occasional job it works great for
me and you sure can't beat the price. This one does have replaceable tips.
It doesn't come with a gas regulator so you'll need to supply your own.

Duty cycle at the highest setting kind of sucks but since I'm just an
occasional hobby welder I have all the time in the world.

Robert