Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT Broadband - Hows much should I be paying?

I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to see
details of my package despite going through their reset procedure

I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited
broadband - so what should I be paying.

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 July 2017 12:50:35 UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too

All the following are line rent + broadband, but call package is extra. Most are cheaper if you prepay for the year.

Origin Broadband
Pay £124.99 for the year in advance* for line rent and broadband, equivalent to £10.42/mth. Anytime calls £5.99/mth extra.

Sky with a £75 Gift Mastercard cash-back
You pay £18.99/mth for the year, and with the £19.95 upfront it's equivalent to £20.65/mth (excl calls & new line fee if charged). If you'd spend the £75 Mastercard and you factor it in it's £172.83 over a year, equivalent to £14.40/mth. Anytime calls £4/mth extra.

BT Fibre New Customers
Equivalent to £22.49/month but you must do the M&S and Mastercard gift cards cash-back.

BD ADSL New Customers
Equivalent to £20.32/month but again you need to do the cash-back claim. Calls from £1.65/month extra.

All detailed at
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
All the following are line rent + broadband, but call package is extra.
Most are cheaper if you prepay for the year.

[snip]
All detailed at
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

It's also worth looking at the cashback available via Topcashback or Quidco.
The little stars that MSE add to links to indicate they're getting a
kickback quite often mean you can get a better deal via the cashback sites
(ie you pocket the cashback that MSE would have got paid).

eg BT was offering 100 pounds cashback for basic broadband and phone the
other day. (it made BT roughly competitive, but not a must-do unless you're
tied to BT for some reason)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Plusnet 80/20Mb fibre = £19.99
Line rental inc Evening/Weekend calls £17.99 (£1 increase due soon)
Caller Display £0.99
18 month discount £7.49
Referral discounts £3.25

It doesn't quite add up, but overall I seem to pay £28.55/month
I could pay the line rental annually and save £3.50/month
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 14:01:54 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Plusnet 80/20Mb fibre = £19.99
Line rental inc Evening/Weekend calls £17.99 (£1 increase due soon)
Caller Display £0.99
18 month discount £7.49
Referral discounts £3.25

Plusnet could not offer the price as first advertised on one of their
offers recently for here as some areas they class as high cost to
serve and when you get to the details the cost is more. I still
accepted whatever they offered which was one of the packages where
you pay a lot up front for line rental , that lead to BT retentions
asking if they could make an offer on similar terms which undercut
them slightly though the exact details are in a drawer somewhere, I
think we got caller display or something for free and as we were still
using an old home hub 1.5 from yonks ago , I wanted something with a
couple more Ethernet ports so persuaded them to provide the latest
Version 6 F.O.C to persuade me to stay.
I know purists frown on BT Routers but it does the job.
staying with BT saved the hassle of notifying every one of a new email
etc but for me another advantage was still being able to use the BT
Fon setup as part of the package.
My elderly mother as a minimal package with just enough for her emails
and limited browsing with small ISP ( eclipse?)
when I go and stay to do a weeks chores or hospital runs
I max it out but using the fon facility from her neighbours BT set up
avoids earache for doing that.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 12:50, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to
see details of my package despite going through their reset procedure

I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited
broadband - so what should I be paying.

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Andrew

The key variables seem to be:

Line rental and landline package
BB speed
Freebies/extras - things like TV box, router, SIM card, contract period,
installation.

I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

And it doesn't seem to have got much better:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php

But it's so difficult to draw a conclusion - they're not far below BT.
And as one of the largest providers, they're more or less bound to have
most complaints (so far as i can tell - they don't seem to weight their
ratings).

BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

In the past 10 years or so I've used BT I haven't had a single problem.
I think I'll just have to cross fingers.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

In the past 10 years or so I've used BT I haven't had a single problem.
I think I'll just have to cross fingers.

I has a problem with their email a few month ago. Could have been down to
using this ancient machine, though. Changing the password eventually
sorted it - but may have been a coincidence. Only one outage - and the
phone line too. Noticed a guy was working on the box at the end of the
road, and caught him as he was packing up. He sorted it there and then -
very impressed with that. Even although he'd probably caused the problem.
Not surprising when you saw the rat's nest inside the box. ;-)

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers.

At one time I ended up with a talktalk provided service after they took
over the ISP I was with. Overnight the service went downhill' Their
customer service policy seems to bend the truth. "We don't block or
throttle ports" means "we just turn them off during busy time - you can
fully use them without throttling at 3am." At one time they were
blocking text only Usenet from around mid-day to midnight!

And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

+1
I stayed with them for around a month befre purchasing a more expensive
product from someone else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m submitted this idea :
At one time I ended up with a talktalk provided service after they took over
the ISP I was with. Overnight the service went downhill' Their customer
service policy seems to bend the truth. "We don't block or throttle ports"
means "we just turn them off during busy time - you can fully use them
without throttling at 3am." At one time they were blocking text only Usenet
from around mid-day to midnight!

Very true, but why? Usenet uses almost nil capacity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 20:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m submitted this idea :
At one time I ended up with a talktalk provided service after they
took over the ISP I was with. Overnight the service went downhill'
Their customer service policy seems to bend the truth. "We don't block
or throttle ports" means "we just turn them off during busy time - you
can fully use them without throttling at 3am." At one time they were
blocking text only Usenet from around mid-day to midnight!

Very true, but why? Usenet uses almost nil capacity.

Strange, I've been with TT since they were Tiscali and had no problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 16:32, alan_m wrote:

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers.

At one time I ended up with a talktalk provided service after they took
over the ISP I was with. Overnight the service went downhill' Their
customer service policy seems to bend the truth. "We don't block or
throttle ports" means "we just turn them off during busy time - you can
fully use them without throttling at 3am." At one time they were
blocking text only Usenet from around mid-day to midnight!

And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

+1
I stayed with them for around a month befre purchasing a more expensive
product from someone else.

Apparently they use exactly the same infrastructure as BT, and that is
consistently 9 MBs. And they say they don't throttle. I'm going to know
pretty quickly come the day (in about 2 weeks) . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2017 00:26, RJH wrote:
[...]

Cheap ISPs don't throttle users, they just put more of them down a
smaller capacity link.
Throttling is selective, increasing contention is not.
So they can claim not to throttle but still have PPP.

They do this because you can have as many users as they like down a pipe
and BT still only charges by the size of the pipe they rent.

Long gone the days where every user shared the same big pipe whatever
ISP they chose. ISPs get their own pipe and its up to them how big and
how many. Its a significant cost.

Choosing the size is economics and managing the users expectations, if
you have lots of users just surfing you don't need a big pipe, if like
Sky you do TV over it you need significantly larger pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

I've been on Talk Talk for years and not had any problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 16:41:12 +0100, Bod wrote:

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

I've been on Talk Talk for years and not had any problems.

Try phoning their customer service. Every single one is not speaking English ok?

--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've
more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

BT has been OK since changing to it. Some years ago. Not perfect - but I
don't even expect that these days.

I've been on Talk Talk for years and not had any problems.

Try phoning their customer service. Every single one is not speaking
English ok?

I avoided phoning them for the very reason you mention.
I just emailed them with my problems, which was 2 dodgey modems. They
sent replacements within 3 to 4 days.
ps; just remembered another problem years ago which was no broadband.
They sent an engineer out in about 7 days and he fixed my connection in
an underground terminal box which happened to be in a neighbour's front
garden across the road. Some sort of poor connection.
So I call that a good service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:41:12 +0100, Bod wrote:
I've been on Talk Talk for years and not had any problems.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/17 20:34, Lawrence wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:41:12 +0100, Bod wrote:
I've been on Talk Talk for years and not had any problems.

+1

Indeed. Its not that their network is problem filled, its just that they
dont have anyone capable of solving a problem when they do actually occur.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :
I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

We began with NTHell, which had lots of issues. Then we were with
Tiscali for many years, then TT took them over. T had been not
brilliant, but passable. With TT there were email delays, newsgroups
access blocked, talking to their indian help desk impossible. The final
straw was the TT hacking, the spam emails and spam phone calls and the
cost kept rising.

So here I am on Plusnet, a really welcome relief from the stress of
dealing with TT. TT seem to be trying to sell their service on every
street corner - a good service, with good value, sells itself.

If you change ISP's, your old email address seems to continue to work
for receive only - so no reason to panic about switching and losing
incoming mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 20:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I just pay £12 every 2 years for my own domain and take 5 minutes to
redirect it whenever I change ISP.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 20:56, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

You can do likewise with Gmail or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Steve Walker steve@walker-
family.me.uk escribió:

I just pay £12 every 2 years for my own domain and take 5 minutes to
redirect it whenever I change ISP.

+1. Money well spent.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I had no idea people still rely on their ISP email address... It
reminds me of the days when you had to change your mobile number every
time you moved network.

Why not simply use gmail (or similar) that can be collected using POP
and IMAP, or better still register a cheap domain and have your own
email addresses forever?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 20:04:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

If you change ISP's, your old email address seems to continue to work
for receive only - so no reason to panic about switching and losing
incoming mail.

Receive is all you need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I pay about £50/month with BT at the moment for their c.100Mb.

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk's £31.50
month c.75Mb - it's not quite the cheapest but it does come with what
looks to be a half decent mobile deal (200 mins/500MB). And I've more or
less given up the will to keep comparing.

I sincerely hope TalkTalk have improved their service. I ended up with
them by default after several ISP takeovers. And they were the pits.
Regular outages. And days to get them fixed as in their opinion it was
always 'my' end. And even worse comms.

I found TalkTalk to actually give a pretty good phone and internet
service, but when there was a line fault, they were awful to deal with
to sort it out. They also lost my original order despite them
acknowledging it by post! Put me on the wrong network, so I couldn't get
the TV package that I had wanted and lied repeatedly about it being
sorted out "next" month. Only after many calls, failures to call back,
deliberate dropping of calls and outright lies about appointments to
sort problems, did I accidentally get put through to a UK call centre
who agreed to end my contract early, with no penalty.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I found TalkTalk to actually give a pretty good phone and internet
service, but when there was a line fault, they were awful to deal with
to sort it out.

Yes. In every case here it was down to the equipment at the exchange or
whatever. Phone still worked, but no broadband carrier showing on the
router. Which I'd obviously changed too. But they insisted it was a
problem my end before finally referring it on to BT for action. Which took
days. And this happened several times.

One reason for going to BT is that they own everything at the exchange.
But not had a problem where that theory needed proving anyway.

Other thing with TalkTalk is they sent me emails saying they couldn't
contact me by email. Which I replied to and got an automated answer. And
because of this would put me on paper billing at an extra charge. Which
they did - but never received a paper bill from them. No point in trying
to sort it out on the phone, given my experience of their call centres.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One reason for going to BT is that they own everything at the exchange.
But not had a problem where that theory needed proving anyway.

Since LLU ISPs have been able to install their own kit in exchanges, and
some - mainly bigger ones - have done so.

IIRC at present FTTC/FTTP is not covered by that but is coming.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , RJH
escribió:

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk

Don't. Just don't.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 05:58:40 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , RJH
escribió:

I'm in the process of changing and think I'll go for Talktalk

Don't. Just don't.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-01, RJH wrote:
On 01/07/2017 12:50, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account
to see details of my package despite going through their reset
procedure

I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited
broadband - so what should I be paying.

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Andrew

The key variables seem to be:

Line rental and landline package BB speed Freebies/extras - things like
TV box, router, SIM card, contract period,
installation.

None of that matters, other than speed. What matters is what happens
when it goes wrong. Do you have to wait 40 minutes to speak to some pod
person in Mumbai who wants you to wave a dead chicken over it, or do you
get through to someone who speaks English and understands the
technology?

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2017 17:07, Huge wrote:
On 2017-07-01, RJH wrote:
[...]

Agreed. They have a UK call centre and a live internet chat thing. We'll
see . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jul 2017 16:07:48 GMT, Huge wrote:

On 2017-07-01, RJH wrote:
[...]

Does anyone in a call centre understand the tech, even if they speak
English? I don't think so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
None of that matters, other than speed. What matters is what happens
when it goes wrong. Do you have to wait 40 minutes to speak to some pod
person in Mumbai who wants you to wave a dead chicken over it, or do
you get through to someone who speaks English and understands the
technology?

Does anyone in a call centre understand the tech, even if they speak
English? I don't think so.

Great fun when you try to explain you're not using a PC...

--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to
see details of my package despite going through their reset procedure

I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited
broadband - so what should I be paying.

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

My last bill was 47.69 including 13 quids worth of extra phone charges.
But also including the discount (19 quid) for paying the line rental
annually.

I use the i-player etc services quite heavily.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" Wrote in
message:
I've had an email from BT saying my 'broadband discount' ends soon - I
reckon I'm already paying too much but cannot log on to my BT account to see
details of my package despite going through their reset procedure

I think that I have unlimited calls on one BT landline and unlimited
broadband - so what should I be paying.

It would be nice to have comparisons before I call them on Monday

Andrew

After your first deal with BT has ended, you need to contact them
annually and ask for a better deal. I currently get caller ID for
free and 4 quid a month off my broadband. I pay £18.99 line
rental (paid annually in advance), £8.99 unlimited calls, £24.50
Infinity 1 broadband (52Mb/s).
Biggles

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:07:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Biggles wrote:

I pay £18.99 line rental (paid annually in advance),

"paid annually in advance" that ought to be Line Rental Saver and 10%
off making the monthly rental a tad over £17/month.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:07:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Biggles wrote:

I pay £18.99 line rental (paid annually in advance),

"paid annually in advance" that ought to be Line Rental Saver and 10%
off making the monthly rental a tad over £17/month.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes you are right.