Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Retention for gates purchase

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:23:59 +0100, Davey wrote:

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

Problem is that they are bespoke so if you decide you don't want them
they will be effectively scrap timber plus a lot of wasted effort.

You could offer to cover the costs of the timber and then make reasonable
labour costs pat way through the process as long as you can have a look
at them at that point in time.

Apart from being 'well-known' are they also *reputable*?

If they are then I'd probably not have a problem with them.

Filed gates around here tend to be one of the standard sizes so I just
opted for one of them and paid on delivery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message news

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

I'd be reluctant to pay before completion.
10-20% deposit, yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 05:57:09 -0500
Mark Allread wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that view. They are reputable, so I'll probably just pay
upfront.
These are based on a standard size, but the place they will go is not
quite a standard size.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22-Jun-17 11:57 AM, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:23:59 +0100, Davey wrote:

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

Problem is that they are bespoke so if you decide you don't want them
they will be effectively scrap timber plus a lot of wasted effort.

+1

You still have the right, under the Sale of Goods Act, to inspect the
gates before accepting them.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2017 12:11 PM, Nightjar wrote:
On 22-Jun-17 11:57 AM, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:23:59 +0100, Davey wrote:

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

Problem is that they are bespoke so if you decide you don't want them
they will be effectively scrap timber plus a lot of wasted effort.

+1

You still have the right, under the Sale of Goods Act, to inspect the
gates before accepting them.

I'd go with that strategy too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 11:24:03 AM UTC+1, Davey wrote:
I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

--
Davey.

When we make bespoke items we supply detailed drawings which we require to be signed off and returned accompanied with a 50% deposit.

The way I look at it we are sharing the risk 50/50 We risk not getting paid when we are finished and the cutsomer risks getting nothing for his trouble.

It put a stop to people ordering bespoke items and then finding some reason not to accept them or just not returning for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2017 11:23, Davey wrote:

I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

For bespoke I have known half on placing the order and the other half on
delivery but they are free to set their own terms. They obviously don't
want to get landed with an odd set of custom gates after loads of work.
It depends a lot how well you know the supplier. Trust works both ways.

If they have a decent reputation then I'd be inclined to accept their
terms and if there is something wrong later rely on sale of goods act.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 11:24:03 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
I am having a set of wooden gates made for my driveway entrance. The
supplier, a well-known local builders and farm supply merchant, will
make them to fit, based on a standard design, with mods. to fit.

They want the full cost to be paid when placing the order.
Is it fair for me to ask to with-hold 10% until delivery and inspection?
I can't force them, I'm sure, but should they accept this as normal?

I've been burned that way (glass not gates). Yet another reason to diy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2017 14:10, Martin Brown wrote:

If they have a decent reputation then I'd be inclined to accept their
terms and if there is something wrong later rely on sale of goods act.

No the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply to transactions made after Sept
30th 2015.

Bill