Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Default Glass Panel Design - Size and Retention

I am laying out a display/curio cabinet that will use 1/4" bevel glass in
the front doors and each end. The glazed part of the end panels will be 10"
x 44". I plan to use a single pane of the 1/4" glass (vs upper and lower
panes). Does anyone see a strength issue with this long, narrow pane? I am
trying to maximize visibility.

Also, most manufactured furniture uses rubber or plastic extrusion to secure
the glass into the door. The extrusion fits into a groove milled into the
door frame. Most local glass shops use silicon or clips. Does anyone have
a source for the extruded retaining strip? I was surprised that Rockler and
other usual sources offer the router bit but not the retainer strip itself.

ps - the door panels are much wider - about 15" each.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

RonB wrote:
I am laying out a display/curio cabinet that will use 1/4" bevel glass in
the front doors and each end. The glazed part of the end panels will be 10"
x 44". I plan to use a single pane of the 1/4" glass (vs upper and lower
panes). Does anyone see a strength issue with this long, narrow pane? I am
trying to maximize visibility.

Also, most manufactured furniture uses rubber or plastic extrusion to secure
the glass into the door. The extrusion fits into a groove milled into the
door frame. Most local glass shops use silicon or clips. Does anyone have
a source for the extruded retaining strip? I was surprised that Rockler and
other usual sources offer the router bit but not the retainer strip itself.

ps - the door panels are much wider - about 15" each.

RonB Ahh, but Rockler does offer a plastic panel retaining strip. In their latest catalogue, pg. 44. Or check the index for "Glass door hardware". I see no strength issue with 1/4 inch glass at all, unless you mean the doorframe/panel itself. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Ahh, but Rockler does offer a plastic panel retaining
strip. In their latest catalogue, pg. 44. Or check the index for "Glass door
hardware". I see no strength issue with 1/4 inch glass at all, unless you

mean the doorframe/panel itself. Tom

Thanks. I ordered their latest catalogue a week or so ago and couldn't find
it on their site. I just modified my search and found it.

I was a little concerned about the glass panel itself being a little long
and narrow. As I think about it many floor clocks use this kind of glass
without problem.

Thanks again
RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article Ulogf.12616$ih5.7477@dukeread11, "RonB"
wrote:

Thanks. I ordered their latest catalogue a week or so ago and couldn't find
it on their site. I just modified my search and found it.

I was a little concerned about the glass panel itself being a little long
and narrow. As I think about it many floor clocks use this kind of glass
without problem.

You won't have a problem since the glass will be supported all around in
the rabbet. Instead of putting in a piece of plastic for the retainer,
I'd opt for a simple matching wood small 1/4-round or chamfered trim
strip - but then again, I'm pretty old-school.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05