Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Table saws and router tables? Was: Dead flat light work table?

On 25/05/2017 11:18, Tim Watts wrote:
Following on:

I'm happy with the idea for a bench now.

I have to do somethign that fits in a 1.7 x 3.4m shed for now, but
would be happy in a proper space later.

I'm probably going to do something on a 2x4" frame that sits on
sawhorses (the type with the slots to take 2 off 2x4" beams).

And make it into a torsion box topped with something suitable.
Later, if I manage to build a proper workshop (the full 15m2) I could
fix 4x4" legs to the frame.

So how to start, with small scale woodworking that can grow?

Table saw?

Build into bench as a lift out module? Or separate table saw that can be
lined up with bench to use latter as an outfeed?

If modular, I think it would need a pre made ali module like the Festool
one (or similar) to get a decent and safe mount, where the blade has all
the correct tilting and raising mechanisms done properly. This could be
mounted in a removable ply carrier that itself forms the "standard
module" on my bench - and thus could be removed and replaced with a ply
infill if using the bench for hammering which might damage machinery.

Router - that seems a little easier - either the cheap option to mount
to a ply module plate of my own making, or fit a router lift module to ply.

Thicknesser - that's easy, many are quite compact.

Planer/Jointer? These are expensive and big. Is there any other way to
true and square up random timber?

Cheers,
Tim

http://www.maslowcnc.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead flat light work table?

Tim Watts wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Ready made torsion box:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-techn...rf-dogs-717978

I'm going to be bankrupt and it's your fault! ;-)

Now, instead of spending silly money on a worktop with an array of nicely drilled holes, you can buy a guide system that lets you drill your own nice array of holes - still silly money for what it is, but only half the silly money, and you can make a new top whenever you knacker up the old one.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-techn...-system-102278

https://youtu.be/Xi9raT8gyEE?t=43s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2017 21:46, wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Ready made torsion box:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-techn...rf-dogs-717978

I'm going to be bankrupt and it's your fault! ;-)

Now, instead of spending silly money on a worktop with an array of
nicely drilled holes, you can buy a guide system that lets you drill
your own nice array of holes - still silly money for what it is, but
only half the silly money, and you can make a new top whenever you
knacker up the old one.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-techn...-system-102278

https://youtu.be/Xi9raT8gyEE?t=43s

Yup, saw that - probably worth it if you need to do it several times.
(although if you have access to an accurately drilled surface, its
trivial to copy it with a router and a bottom bearing guider cutter ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Changed one light bulb - now both light bulbs dont work Naomi Cezana Home Repair 29 September 20th 13 01:37 PM
Looking for Light Sensitive Light Fittings that Work Michael D UK diy 0 December 6th 09 06:03 PM
Ceiling fan w/ light - Light doesn't work [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 4th 07 04:41 PM
Flat work guess SteveB Home Repair 6 October 16th 05 12:12 AM
Does Fix a Flat work? Al Bundy Home Repair 24 August 25th 05 04:51 PM