Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Basin waste

I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press up, press down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to the basin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use the supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbers Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in the future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered rubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the basin and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing pipework.
TIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/17 17:57, petek wrote:
I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press
up, press down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the
waste to the basin

Plumbers mait

and also underneath between backnut and basin?

No need to seal there

Should I just use the supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and
bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbers Mait?

yes on the top.

No need underneath

Reluctant to use silicone
cos its a pain to get off if sometime in the future I have to
disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered rubber bungs
but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the basin and
and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing
pipework. TIV

I have no idea what you have just been saying there. Is there a question?

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in newsd2t85$fp6$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 17/04/17 17:57, petek wrote:
[...]

If you don't properly seal between the bottom thread / nut and basin it
will leak - at best only when you empty the basin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you don't properly seal between the bottom thread / nut and basin
it will leak - at best only when you empty the basin.

Sory - my comment applies when there is a slotted waste for an overflow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:57:36 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press up, press down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to the basin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use the supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbers Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in the future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered rubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the basin and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing pipework.
TIV

Thanks for your comments. My gut feel and i think confirmed by your comments is to use the washers and Plumbers Mait both top and bottom. It is in fact a slotted waste for the overflow, but even if it were not I think I should still use Plumbers Mait underneath.So that's what I'll do.
My comments about silicone and the rubber bung thing were merely to pre-empt answers along these lines.
Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 April 2017 20:21:44 UTC+1, petek wrote:
[...]

There is no reason to use any seal on the top side of the plughole. Doing so just shows it to be an amateur job. Underneath must be sealed. The rubber washer ought to do it, but that doesn't mean it will. I like silicone as it's effective, cheap, in stock, easy to go get if necessary, and removes very easily.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2017 20:21, petek wrote:
[...]

Basin Mate is often recommend on this newsgroup (note this is very
different to Plumers Mait)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...in+Mate/p37534

https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/...-seal-kit.html

Instrauctions
https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/...e_Seal.500.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:57:34 -0700, petek wrote:

I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press up,
press down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to
the basin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just
use the supplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers
plus Plumbers Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off
if sometime in the future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one
of those tapered rubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely
enters the hole in the basin and and throws out the position of the
waste in relation to existing pipework.
TIV

I usually use a very thin layer of Plumber's Mait on the top surface only
- but leave a gap round the edge so it doesn't squidge out and become
visible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek expressed precisely :
Or use washers plus Plumbers Mait?

Yes, both..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/17 18:56, DerbyBorn wrote:
If you don't properly seal between the bottom thread / nut and basin
it will leak - at best only when you empty the basin.

Sory - my comment applies when there is a slotted waste for an overflow.

Ah. That is an entirely different matter.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you don't properly seal between the bottom thread / nut and basin
it will leak - at best only when you empty the basin.

why?

The overflow "chamber" will have water in it and this water can seep down
the thread due to the slight clearances in the threads. A washer alone will
not seal the actual thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
petek writes:
I'm re-fitting a replacement washbasin and pop up waste - the press up, pre=
ss down type. Are there any recommendations for sealing the waste to the ba=
sin and also underneath between backnut and basin? Should I just use the su=
pplied nylon(?) washers alone, top and bottom? Or use washers plus Plumbers=
Mait? Reluctant to use silicone cos its a pain to get off if sometime in t=
he future I have to disassemble it. I've also bought one of those tapered r=
ubber bungs but for my washbasin the bung barely enters the hole in the bas=
in and and throws out the position of the waste in relation to existing pip=
ework.

Use a Basin Waste Sealing Kit, e.g.
https://www.bes.co.uk/1-1-4in-basin-waste-sealing-kit

No gunk or glop or gloop required anywhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in newsd50o8$8cq$1
@dont-email.me:

https://www.bes.co.uk/1-1-4in-basin-waste-sealing-kit

Looks good - I don't like using gunges.

Basin waste John UK diy 13 November 8th 10 06:16 PM
Connecting basin waste to WC waste avocado UK diy 3 June 13th 08 09:13 AM
Basin waste - what sealer do I use? diy-newby UK diy 8 October 16th 07 08:54 PM
Basin waste top diameter John E[_2_] UK diy 2 October 16th 07 07:26 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM