Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB Controlled Power switch

Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird.

I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1 device ( a large format topuch screen ) to be switched off/on.

We use a RS232 control through the PC but there is an intermittant fault that causes teh screen to become unrepsonisve, and requires a hard power down.

Problem is the screen has been installed in a manner that makes it impossible to access teh on/off button.

So one possible slution is a power switch controlled by the PC.

I'd prefer USB rather than LAN/network controlled switch as that would be more secure.

I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it would most likely be someone on here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 03:09:01 -0700, tenjeeuk wrote:

Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the
Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird.

I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1 device ( a
large format topuch screen ) to be switched off/on.

We use a RS232 control through the PC but there is an intermittant fault
that causes teh screen to become unrepsonisve, and requires a hard power
down.

Problem is the screen has been installed in a manner that makes it
impossible to access teh on/off button.

So one possible slution is a power switch controlled by the PC.

I'd prefer USB rather than LAN/network controlled switch as that would
be more secure.

I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it
would most likely be someone on here.

Google 'USB relay' and there are loads. Most are mains rated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

@Bob Eager.

Thanks Bob. I'd prefer something more commercially finished than one that is just some exposed circuitry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:16:50 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Would one of these do, and stick the remote next to the PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Remo...-Socket-White/
dp/B00NMD4QL6

I suspect that the easy to access buttons might be an issue for the
OP. Of course one could hijack a couple of the RS232 control lines to
operate a transistor switch across the on and off pads of the remotes
PCB.

But if you're going to do that why bother with all the RF malarky.
Just use an RS232 control line to operate a mains relay. Still need a
transistor switch to drive the relay.

Both Fail the "boxed and ready to use" test though. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:21:24 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

To be honest, surely if the switch is dodgy the best thing is to fix it
no matter how much dismantling and remantling is needed.

That's one way of reading what was written. I read it to mean that
the screen occasionally crashes and needs a power cycle to reset it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 02:09:08 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:21:24 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

To be honest, surely if the switch is dodgy the best thing is to fix it
no matter how much dismantling and remantling is needed.

That's one way of reading what was written. I read it to mean that
the screen occasionally crashes and needs a power cycle to reset it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The issue is with the RS232 becoming unresponsive after a few days of running normally. The only way to reset to back so it waorks again is to power off/on. Unfortunately the screen has been installed in such a way that access to the power switch is not possible. They even don't execatly know which mains plug it connects to.

So, I am exploring a workable solution, not neceassry the best.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 08:04:06 UTC, wrote:
[...]

You need to be able to isolate it from the mains power supply.