DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   USB Controlled Power switch (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/587375-usb-controlled-power-switch.html)

[email protected] March 13th 17 10:09 AM

USB Controlled Power switch

Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird.

I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1 device ( a large format topuch screen ) to be switched off/on.

We use a RS232 control through the PC but there is an intermittant fault that causes teh screen to become unrepsonisve, and requires a hard power down.

Problem is the screen has been installed in a manner that makes it impossible to access teh on/off button.

So one possible slution is a power switch controlled by the PC.

I'd prefer USB rather than LAN/network controlled switch as that would be more secure.

I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it would most likely be someone on here.

Bob Eager[_5_] March 13th 17 10:23 AM

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 03:09:01 -0700, tenjeeuk wrote:

Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the
Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird.

I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1 device ( a
large format topuch screen ) to be switched off/on.

We use a RS232 control through the PC but there is an intermittant fault
that causes teh screen to become unrepsonisve, and requires a hard power
down.

Problem is the screen has been installed in a manner that makes it
impossible to access teh on/off button.

So one possible slution is a power switch controlled by the PC.

I'd prefer USB rather than LAN/network controlled switch as that would
be more secure.

I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it
would most likely be someone on here.

Google 'USB relay' and there are loads. Most are mains rated.

[email protected] March 13th 17 10:46 AM

USB Controlled Power switch

@Bob Eager.

Thanks Bob. I'd prefer something more commercially finished than one that is just some exposed circuitry.

Dennis@home March 13th 17 11:16 AM

On 13/03/2017 10:09, wrote:
Firstly, so nice to be able to post on here again after the loss of the Demon newsgroup server robbed me of easy access via ThunderBird.

I am looking for a USB/PC controlled power switch to enable 1 device ( a large format topuch screen ) to be switched off/on.

We use a RS232 control through the PC but there is an intermittant fault that causes teh screen to become unrepsonisve, and requires a hard power down.

Problem is the screen has been installed in a manner that makes it impossible to access teh on/off button.

So one possible slution is a power switch controlled by the PC.

I'd prefer USB rather than LAN/network controlled switch as that would be more secure.

I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it would most likely be someone on here.

Would one of these do, and stick the remote next to the PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Remo.../dp/B00NMD4QL6

Theo[_3_] March 13th 17 11:32 AM

wrote:
I posted here because I thought if anyone has played with this stuff it
would most likely be someone on here.

I've had good experiences with Raspberry Pi remote switches (and power
measurement in fancier versions):
https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/ENER002-2PI

Theo

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 13th 17 03:16 PM

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:16:50 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Would one of these do, and stick the remote next to the PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Remo...-Socket-White/
dp/B00NMD4QL6

I suspect that the easy to access buttons might be an issue for the
OP. Of course one could hijack a couple of the RS232 control lines to
operate a transistor switch across the on and off pads of the remotes
PCB.

But if you're going to do that why bother with all the RF malarky.
Just use an RS232 control line to operate a mains relay. Still need a
transistor switch to drive the relay.

Both Fail the "boxed and ready to use" test though. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

Brian Gaff March 13th 17 04:21 PM

USB Controlled Power switch

To be honest, surely if the switch is dodgy the best thing is to fix it no
matter how much dismantling and remantling is needed. Faults tend to get
worse and a bodge now will haunt you later on.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 14th 17 02:09 AM

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:21:24 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

To be honest, surely if the switch is dodgy the best thing is to fix it
no matter how much dismantling and remantling is needed.

That's one way of reading what was written. I read it to mean that
the screen occasionally crashes and needs a power cycle to reset it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

[email protected] March 14th 17 08:04 AM

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 02:09:08 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:21:24 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

To be honest, surely if the switch is dodgy the best thing is to fix it
no matter how much dismantling and remantling is needed.

That's one way of reading what was written. I read it to mean that
the screen occasionally crashes and needs a power cycle to reset it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The issue is with the RS232 becoming unresponsive after a few days of running normally. The only way to reset to back so it waorks again is to power off/on. Unfortunately the screen has been installed in such a way that access to the power switch is not possible. They even don't execatly know which mains plug it connects to.

So, I am exploring a workable solution, not neceassry the best.

harry March 14th 17 09:20 AM

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 08:04:06 UTC, wrote:
[...]

You need to be able to isolate it from the mains power supply.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 14th 17 11:20 AM

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 01:04:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The issue is with the RS232 becoming unresponsive after a few days of
running normally.

To clarify the screen is linked to a PC via an RS232 connection. This
link stops working after a while and power cycling the screen brings
it back.

Is this RS232 link directly between RS232 ports on the screen and PC
or is there a USB to RS232 dongle in there somewhere?

Not all USB to RS232 dongles are created equal. I use one between the
UPS (RS232) and server (USB). The first one I bought would
spontaneously disconnect the USB side, immediatly reconnect but the
communications would never re-establish. This would happen about once
a month.

Bought another USB to RS232 dongle about a year ago using a different
chipset and it's not happened again...

Poor one: Prolific PL2303 based
Good one: FTDI FT232RL based

--