Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pandora's Junction Box revisited

Well, it's been longer than expected, but I've finally got my junction
box sorted out. Those of you with good memories will remember that I
posted this:

https://goo.gl/photos/UCcAYGiRfjAbnWhy5

After re-arranging the earths into some sort of sanity:
https://goo.gl/photos/jRETkargbvyBS8D6A
Opening the box revealed this mess:
https://goo.gl/photos/goY21SS2Q54YuwLb7

So, after a lot of checking I discovered that half the cables weren't
connected to anything. I also found another junction box not passing
through the earth - not so bad when feeding a transformer for 12V
lights, but I wanted to fit mains ones. I also found another ceiling
rose being used as a junction box, and a 13A socket fed from the
lighting circuit - though on a shelf, so it looks like it was intended
for a light. No label, though.

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction
boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now
looks like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

And with the lids on:

https://goo.gl/photos/XDz6dH4qX8uAGnZr8

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper
terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of
equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower
circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low
since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait
for now.

Now to find out what's in the other loft...

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/03/2017 18:59, Mike Humphrey wrote:
[...]

That looks brilliant. And to think that you were told by some that you
needed a rewire.

I am looking forward to seeing the other loft.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 18:59, Mike Humphrey wrote:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

Can't you afford a label-making machine you scruffy *******?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:59:45 -0600, Mike Humphrey
wrote:

[...]

I suppose it's an illusion, but the live wire, top middle cable of the
middle box doesn't look like it's got any brown insulation.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nice job - glad you got it sorted...

Now to find out what's in the other loft...

Yup a voyage of discovery!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A salutary lesson on keeping records of work done over different occupants!
I of course cannot see the pictures, but I've found strange things in this
1939 house like wall light wires still live just inside the plaster, and two
core joined in to the junction for upstairs stuff, and a weird little two
pin socket inside a fitted wardrobe upstairs mysteriously connected to
theback of a spur in the next room feeding a bar heater.

I'm sure it was logical at the time!
Brian----

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Humphrey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-10, Mike Humphrey wrote:

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction
boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now
looks like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

And with the lids on:

https://goo.gl/photos/XDz6dH4qX8uAGnZr8

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper
terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of
equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower
circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low
since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait
for now.

Nice. What brand/model of junction boxes are those? (I don't think
I've seen them before.)

Now to find out what's in the other loft...

Good luck!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-10, Mike Humphrey wrote:

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction
boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now
looks like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

And with the lids on:

https://goo.gl/photos/XDz6dH4qX8uAGnZr8

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper
terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of
equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower
circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low
since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait
for now.

Nice. What brand/model of junction boxes are those? (I don't think
I've seen them before.)

This one

http://www.screwfix.com/p/itmightbethisone/2742j

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2017 20:44, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/03/2017 18:59, Mike Humphrey wrote:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

Can't you afford a label-making machine you scruffy *******?

To be fair my labelling machine has for some reason started printing out
in Russian.

So I am back on the sharpie pens until I fix it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 March 2017 18:33:07 UTC, ARW wrote:
To be fair my labelling machine has for some reason started printing out
in Russian.

Which apprentice had it last and did he change the keyboard out of malice or imcompetence?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 10/03/2017 20:44, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/03/2017 18:59, Mike Humphrey wrote:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

Can't you afford a label-making machine you scruffy *******?

To be fair my labelling machine has for some reason started printing out
in Russian.

Does it translate what you enter in English or have you learnt
Russian? :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-10, Mike Humphrey wrote:

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction
boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now
looks like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

And with the lids on:

https://goo.gl/photos/XDz6dH4qX8uAGnZr8

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper
terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of
equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower
circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low
since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait
for now.

Nice. What brand/model of junction boxes are those? (I don't think
I've seen them before.)

This one

http://www.screwfix.com/p/itmightbethisone/2742j

Thanks, I'll make a note of that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-10, Mike Humphrey wrote:

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction
boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now
looks like this:

https://goo.gl/photos/2K4RkHhEYVNpEtUj7

And with the lids on:

https://goo.gl/photos/XDz6dH4qX8uAGnZr8

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper
terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of
equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower
circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low
since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait
for now.

Nice. What brand/model of junction boxes are those? (I don't think
I've seen them before.)

This one
http://www.screwfix.com/p/itmightbethisone/2742j

That's it - or at least that's the one on the left. The other two are
Surewire SW7M-MF. There's a subtle catch with using both - they look
very similar, but the order of connections for both the lights and power
in/out is reversed between them.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
[...]

Are those surewire boxes available un-configured for more versatile use?
I'm thinking for central heating zone wiring. Mine is particularly
complicated with central heating,DHW, solar thermal, a UPS and a
monitoring/logging system hanging off various nodes in the wiring.
Even though I started out with it quite tidy, the system has "grown"
somewhat.
I don't need any significant current/power capability but majority is at
240vac.
Cheers
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Are those surewire boxes available un-configured for more versatile use?
I'm thinking for central heating zone wiring.

Haven't you got a wiring centre? Or have you outgrown it?

http://www.allaboutgas.com/images/controls/salus/large/salus_TC100.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2017 11:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
and a weird little two
pin socket inside a fitted wardrobe upstairs

Clock socket?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Are those surewire boxes available un-configured for more versatile use?
I'm thinking for central heating zone wiring.

Haven't you got a wiring centre? Or have you outgrown it?

http://www.allaboutgas.com/images/controls/salus/large/salus_TC100.jpg

I have two, one up one down with a mega cable between them but something
like that surewire might help tidy up as it has more cable entry points.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Are those surewire boxes available un-configured for more versatile use?

No, there are only three versions. Two are the ones I used - a single
switch controlling up to seven lamps, and four lamps each with their own
switch. The other simply has six in/out connections connected together.

There are other versions listed on the website, and shown in the
leaflet as "available November 2014", but they don't appear to be
available - a five-lamp version of the multiple lamp box, two and six
way versions of the single lamp box, and an eight-way splitter.

Mike

Opening Pandora's Junction Box Mike Humphrey UK diy 83 February 1st 17 10:18 PM
BT Junction Box Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 7 September 2nd 11 10:27 PM
Indirect Pandora Heatbank and Man Micromat/Boiler compatability [email protected] UK diy 40 May 24th 06 09:19 PM
DPS Pandora - further performance tests Christian McArdle UK diy 11 August 12th 04 12:07 PM
DPS Pandora heat bank Christian McArdle UK diy 12 November 2nd 03 12:10 AM