Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A Plug tops with neon light

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike (who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't
leave them switched on).

Google for '13a plug neon' and there are lots.

MOst have switches too, but that's OK. I have some here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switch... w9U_5ZVcnysRw

(or eBay item number: 331604981382)

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I have used one of these befo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13A-13-AMP...-/321669606268

(I wanted one which was in an extension socket on the floor and I could on/off
it with my foot)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I have used one of these befo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13A-13-AMP...-/321669606268

(I wanted one which was in an extension socket on the floor and I could on/off
it with my foot)

If you want a quantity, these are better priced

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

Searched everywhere apart from google.

over 33,000 results in less than a second.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 16:54:06 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Judith wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I have used one of these befo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13A-13-AMP...-/321669606268

(I wanted one which was in an extension socket on the floor and I could on/off
it with my foot)

If you want a quantity, these are better priced

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?

£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/03/2017 17:27, wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?

£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-05, Davidm wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

It ain't pretty (but then, it's out of sight), but I mounted a pattress
and a switch single socket on a small piece of wood to achieve the same
effect. Wired it up with flex, cable tie inside the pattress and a cable
P clip outside for strain relief - it passed a PAT test in my MIL's care
home, which is where it originally was.

Isn't it easier to fit one of these to the appliance?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138...hed/dp/PL10037

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-05, Davidm wrote:

Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

It ain't pretty (but then, it's out of sight), but I mounted a pattress
and a switch single socket on a small piece of wood to achieve the same
effect. Wired it up with flex, cable tie inside the pattress and a cable
P clip outside for strain relief - it passed a PAT test in my MIL's care
home, which is where it originally was.

Isn't it easier to fit one of these to the appliance?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138...hed/dp/PL10037

Won't work for a wall wart.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 10:55:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

NT

Perhaps you can find an alternative at a better price then.

Or did you say "still a daft price" just because you ****ed up?

It is an excellent item at a good price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 13:22:23 UTC, Judith wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 10:55:07 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug.. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

Perhaps you can find an alternative at a better price then.

I can. If I walk 20 feet I can find one that cost me an unused plug and an unused neon.

Or did you say "still a daft price" just because you ****ed up?

It is an excellent item at a good price.

People are strange these days.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 11:54:23 UTC, Davidm wrote:
Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

Metalclad socket, box, and a 20mm gland.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 11:54:19 +0000, Davidm wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:17:34 +0000, Mike wrote:

I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

Not quite what you want (and I would like) and also no good outside:
https://www.ryness.co.uk/masterplug-...ion-lead---2m#
It has a switch and light for each way.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2017-03-05, Davidm wrote:

Sort of related but I've been looking for a single socket extension
lead with a switch in the socket (I only need 1m length but am happy
to cut down a longer one and fit a new plug). For indoor use only, and
3 to 5 amp is fine.
Anyone seen one (UK plug/socket)?

It ain't pretty (but then, it's out of sight), but I mounted a pattress
and a switch single socket on a small piece of wood to achieve the same
effect. Wired it up with flex, cable tie inside the pattress and a cable
P clip outside for strain relief - it passed a PAT test in my MIL's care
home, which is where it originally was.

Isn't it easier to fit one of these to the appliance?

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138...hed/dp/PL10037

Not when you don't have one, and everything came out of the junk box.

Won't work for a wall wart.

Nothing dennis suggest works. I'm astonished that anyone still doesn't
have him killfiled. His postings are a waste of electrons and he's a
waste of space-time continuum.

I disagree, dennis is quite useful.

Just ask him to predict the outcome of something and then nip down to
the bookies and put £20 on the opposite happening.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 05:38:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 13:22:23 UTC, Judith wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 10:55:07 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

Perhaps you can find an alternative at a better price then.

I can. If I walk 20 feet I can find one that cost me an unused plug and an unused neon.

Or did you say "still a daft price" just because you ****ed up?

It is an excellent item at a good price.

People are strange these days.

Indeed : I am surprised that so many people cannot afford to or three quid for
something and would rather spend their time making a pig's ear.

Perhaps you could put together your unused plug and the neon and show the rest
of us how to do it and then we can all save a few bob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 17:00:44 UTC, Judith wrote:
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 05:38:32 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

it takes no longer than wiring the plug, and the result is not a pig's ear. Thus spending 5 as much for no gain is senseless.

Perhaps you could put together your unused plug and the neon and show the rest
of us how to do it and then we can all save a few bob.

If you can't even wire a plug I doubt I can help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 16:26:43 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switch... w9U_5ZVcnysRw

(or eBay item number: 331604981382)

Cheers

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations reason
why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switch... w9U_5ZVcnysRw

(or eBay item number: 331604981382)

Cheers

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.

If you are desperate for an unswitched one, and can't find one new or
used, not without the bounds of possibility to fit a neon or LED to the
plug of your choice.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar 2017 12:25:52 GMT, Huge wrote:

On 2017-03-05, Davidm wrote:
[...]

That approach is my fallback, was just hoping there might be something
a bit more SWMBO friendly around. It's just for a wallwart socket on a
corner table in the living room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:

hoping there might be something a bit more SWMBO friendly around.
It's just for a wallwart socket on a corner table in the living
room.

Try to find a replacement power supply that uses an IEC C13 or C7
connector, so you can hide it underneath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations
reason why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switch... w9U_5ZVcnysRw

(or eBay item number: 331604981382)

Cheers

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

You want one without a switch so that you don't leave your soldering iron
switched on?

Which means you intend pulling the plug from the socket each time...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/17 18:22, Mike wrote:

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

Strange isn't it? Seem to be rather rare, even on a google image search,
as if someone scrubed them out. Perhaps they went out of favour when
users found that long time the neons died?

Anyway, I found these when I did "BS1363 neon"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pcs-AC-U...-/281996199625

A pack of eight for £8.94, I'm sure someone else will have an offer for
singles.

See how they come ready labelled, like if they've just passed PAT.

It's a new branding applied, like 'CE'!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2017 18:55, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

NT

ITYM "Oh, thanks, I hadn't spotted that!"

HTH

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 21:30:13 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 05/03/17 18:22, Mike wrote:

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

Strange isn't it? Seem to be rather rare, even on a google image search,
as if someone scrubed them out. Perhaps they went out of favour when
users found that long time the neons died?

reduce the current.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/17 18:22, Mike wrote:

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

Strange isn't it? Seem to be rather rare, even on a google image search,
as if someone scrubed them out. Perhaps they went out of favour when
users found that long time the neons died?

reduce the current.

ISTR 220k was the norm at 240v.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 09:21:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

I am not an expert : please can you tell me how to connect the plug and the
neon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 March 2017 02:43:29 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 04/03/2017 18:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 18:43:38 UTC, ss wrote:
On 04/03/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503?
£12.99 each? Lord, what's wrong with putting a neon in the plug. For thin wires it's visible at the cord exit. A separate plug with neon also has its uses.

For 5 = £2.60 each.

still a daft price.

NT

ITYM "Oh, thanks, I hadn't spotted that!"

HTH

Cheers

No, I mean it's stupid.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:

I am not an expert : please can you tell me how to connect the plug
and the neon.

A nail.

If it splits, use a screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk escribió:

Just ask him to predict the outcome of something and then nip down to
the bookies and put £20 on the opposite happening.

Heh. Maybe he could predict the date my cat'll finally drop her sprogs.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yonder.co.uk escribió:

Just ask him to predict the outcome of something and then nip down to
the bookies and put £20 on the opposite happening.

Heh. Maybe he could predict the date my cat'll finally drop her sprogs.

If it helps, I saw the beginnings of a documentary where someone fed
their moggie after midnight, got it wet and it had lots of babies. Very
efficient delivery too.

Could try that? ;-)

Cashless wager,
I predict tomorrow evening, 8pm

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

If it helps, I saw the beginnings of a documentary where someone fed
their moggie after midnight, got it wet and it had lots of babies.

A different type of moggie. I hope.

Very
efficient delivery too.

If somewhat violent.

Cashless wager,
I predict tomorrow evening, 8pm

Oh, I dunno. I've given up trying to predict it. Adam's seen pics and
he thinks it'll be another week

She made me laugh last night. I was letting her out of the room,
opening the door. She usually dashes through ahead of me as soon as the
gap is big enough but this time the door got stuck on her bulge. The
more her claws scrabbled frenziedly on the tiles, the tighter the door
became. This went on for a while before I managed to gently pull her
back and open the door wide enough. Daft thing.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/03/2017 16:17, Mike wrote:
I can't find these anywhere. Is there an electrical regulations
reason why they are no longer avaialable?
- Mike
(who likes to fit them to my soldering irons so that I don't leave
them switched on).

I like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13a-Switch... w9U_5ZVcnysRw

(or eBay item number: 331604981382)

Cheers

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

You want one without a switch so that you don't leave your soldering iron
switched on?

Which means you intend pulling the plug from the socket each time...

No, they are plugged into a switched extension lead.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 21:30:10 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 05/03/17 18:22, Mike wrote:

It is the unswitched type that I can't find.
- Mike

Strange isn't it? Seem to be rather rare, even on a google image search,
as if someone scrubed them out. Perhaps they went out of favour when
users found that long time the neons died?

Anyway, I found these when I did "BS1363 neon"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pcs-AC-U...-/281996199625

A pack of eight for £8.94, I'm sure someone else will have an offer for
singles.

See how they come ready labelled, like if they've just passed PAT.

It's a new branding applied, like 'CE'!

Thanks that's what I've been looking for.
- Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112083477503? £12.99 each? Lord,
[...]

I'm not trying to be pompous, but if you have to ask how to do it safely
you should probably not be doing it yourself. It has to be done so as
to avoid short circuits and bits of the thin neon wire sticking out of
the plug, also heat resistant and mechanically satisfactory. It's
doubtful if anyone should be modifying a plug, but I think I could do it
safely if I had to. I would want to be fairly certain no-one would ever
rewire it - perhaps it's simply best not done!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I asked because a) I cannot see it is necessary at all and b) how would it
actually be done - because I just cannot see a way of doing it which I would
find acceptable.

You say you could do it : how would *you* do it (as the original proponent
seems to have disappeared)

I trust it will be quite safe from a small child pulling out any wires which
disappear in to the plug some how.

Over to you.

Or perhaps you, like me, think it is a stupid idea which you would never
attempt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 19:11:29 +0000, (Roger Hayter) wrote:

snip

[...]

It seems perfectly reasonable. Obviously best if the plug mouldings are
designed for the purpose, but a robust one should safely tolerate minor
modifications. The neon bulb will have thin flying leads cut to exactly
the right length and covered with heat resistant sleeving. The neon and
resistor probably best placed above the neutral pin, and a slot for the
live connection filed next to the hole for the earh terminal screw in
the plug top. A translucent plug top would be best, otherwise a hole
filled wth a glued in piece of transparent plastic shaped so it cannot
come out either inward or outward. As safe as the original if carefully
done. After all, you can get the same thing as a nightlight, but with
no flex fitted.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 10:13:14 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Judith wrote:
[...]

It's clear neither of you know what you're doing on this one. Which is fine, but to criticise someone that does seems a bit foolish.

NT